Just another 'Chit, its on fire!!' thread.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrgoodwrench35

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
I took out the Infraction (6s) for a few quick laps after work. Its all stock, factory gearing and all. I went to an empty parking lot and started ripping. I had just temp checked 30 seconds before this happened and The esc was at 110 ish and the motor about 120. I drove to the end of the parking lot, turned around and it just stopped. As I started walking towards it out came a big cloud of smoke which soon turned to a small fire. I got the body off and unplugged the lipo's and the fire went out. Minimal damage to the body, hardley noticable. Other than some fire damage to the handbrake servo wiring and a melted antenna tube, I think just need an esc.

I gotta say, I'm a little disappointed in the esc. Granted, I drive most all my RC's like I stole them, but I know it wasn't hot when it went up and it hasn't got that many runs on it.

2 hours later my fingers still smell like burnt arrma. I know you guys know the smell I'm talking about.

20220830_201516.jpg

Fire1.jpg

Definitely know that smell. Almost as bad as the burnt flesh from a soldering iron.

I often work in the OR, and I actually don't mind the smelling of burning flesh(cauterizing) all that much.........but burnt electronics? PEEYOO!
Thats funny cuz I work in IT so the smell of burnt electronics doesn't bother me (not that it smells good lol). Not sure about burnt flesh but I'm guessing I wouldnt like it.

Arrmas have like a 2 year warranty on them so like WF said, if its less than 2 years old Id contact HH. Otherwise Id put a Castle ESC in it

Last edited:
I took out the Infraction (6s) for a few quick laps after work. Its all stock, factory gearing and all. I went to an empty parking lot and started ripping. I had just temp checked 30 seconds before this happened and The esc was at 110 ish and the motor about 120. I drove to the end of the parking lot, turned around and it just stopped. As I started walking towards it out came a big cloud of smoke which soon turned to a small fire. I got the body off and unplugged the lipo's and the fire went out. Minimal damage to the body, hardley noticable. Other than some fire damage to the handbrake servo wiring and a melted antenna tube, I think just need an esc.

I gotta say, I'm a little disappointed in the esc. Granted, I drive most all my RC's like I stole them, but I know it wasn't hot when it went up and it hasn't got that many runs on it.

2 hours later my fingers still smell like burnt arrma. I know you guys know the smell I'm talking about.

View attachment 151484

View attachment 151485
Looks familiar:
6A8B638E-1B48-4073-84C1-A2217BABB8D4.jpeg

Last year I did the same thing, lucky Horizon warranted it, but I was impatient so I got a Mamba monster x 8s.

I didn't know the warranty was that long. Thanks for the info.

It's only about 8 months old and really hasn't seen that much use. Maybe a dozen or so runs. I'll email horizon after work. If they won't do anything I'll likely go Castle.

Horizon Hobby has awesome customer servce. I sent them a few pictures of my burnt up infraction, they sent me a new esc, receiver, handbrake servo, antenna tube, and a new body, free of charge. They were very easy to deal with and I'm surprised they covered everything that got damaged. Very pleased to say the least.

Thanks for the info WF and GreyWolf. I didn't realize the warranty would cover that. Had you not told me, I'd likely have bought another XLX2.

Horizon Hobby has awesome customer servce. I sent them a few pictures of my burnt up infraction, they sent me a new esc, receiver, handbrake servo, antenna tube, and a new body, free of charge. They were very easy to deal with and I'm surprised they covered everything that got damaged. Very pleased to say the least.

Thanks for the info WF and GreyWolf. I didn't realize the warranty would cover that. Had you not told me, I'd likely have bought another XLX2.
That is awesome! I have had to deal with them a couple times, and both times they went above and beyond.

Its rare that a company actually seems to care about the customer and stands behind their product. They will get lots of my money in the future.

I received all my parts from Horizon and will start the repair process today at some. I can't say enough good about Horizon. I got the replacement parts in 3 days. Thats faster than I get stuff that I order from them. Great company to deal with. Very pleased. Thanks again for the warranty info gentlemen.

I received all my parts from Horizon and will start the repair process today at some. I can't say enough good about Horizon. I got the replacement parts in 3 days. Thats faster than I get stuff that I order from them. Great company to deal with. Very pleased. Thanks again for the warranty info gentlemen.
Horizon has two places they ship from. Champaign Illinois, or somewhere in California. So it depends on which one they ship from. I am only 3 hours from their Champaign store, so a lot of times I get stuff in one or two days.

I used to buy from RC Planet because they are only 7 hours from me so I also received orders next day.
Since they were bought out, the shipping isn't pleasant anymore.

I'm going to try to get the Infraction up and running again after the fire. Got all the warranty parts and a new set of tires that were badly needed.

I'm also going to attempt to attach the FPV equipment from this old racing drone to the Infraction. Horizon gave me a new body and the old one was only minorly damaged in the fire so I'm going to cut a hole in the windshield area for the camera. Should be fun.

20220917_182720.jpg

20220918_112647.jpg

20220918_112718.jpg

Back