Just a Swingin' - One for NCNitro (56K warning)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished!

Ok guys,let's say we finish this up and get it off to it's new home?

We left off last time after using the readout on the mill to obtain the distance between the mount and axle holes. Now it's time to complete the business end of the swingarm.

Once again I start with a radius on the end and blending the corners to match the rest of the arm.

axleend.JPG

Next I mill a pocket in the arm for a carrier slide to allow for position adjustment.

slidepocket.JPG

Then a slot for the axle.

slidepocket2.JPG

Now I have to change the position of the arm so I can drill a clearance hole and counterbore in the end. This will be for the adjustment screw,the couterbore will keep it from protruding out the end and makes for a clean/neat appearance when assembled.

adjustmenthole.JPG

After repeating these steps for the other half of the arm,it's time to make the carrier slides. I debated on using a different material but decided for now just to stick with aluminum. So first I take a piece of the scrap I sawed off from profiling the arm and clamp it in the vice.

scrap.JPG

Face off the top so it nice and smooth and mill the profile.

slides1.JPG

Then I drill the holes for the axles,tap a couple of extra holes for some locing screws and clear away the extra material around the slides.

slides2.JPG

Now I can saw off the 2 slides and mill them to the desired thickness.

slides3.JPG

Then I stand them up to drill and tap the ends for the adjustment screws.

slides4.JPG

The carrier slides are now complete.
slides5.JPG

The last step is to make the adjustment screws. I start with some 3mm set screws. With a small(tiny) grooving tool I put in 2 slots just big enough for a couple of "e" clips. The clips will retain the the set screw in place,one in the counterbore of the arm and the other in the pocket for the slide. This traps the screw so that when you turn them,the slides move.

screws.JPG

A final adjustment to the length of the screws and some assembly and TA DAAA!!!!!!! The arm is done. Joe,it's on it's way!

screws2.JPG

finished1.JPG

finished3.JPG

Man Randy that is on sweet piece of work. I really wish I had the cool toys you get to work with! But seriously.....great work!!!

Awesome, I love watching new parts being created right out of plain blocks of aluminum. Very cool.

Well I just got the arm from the postman, all I can say is WOW!!! This thing is absolutely gorgeous, and much nicer than I could have ever hoped for. Randy, your machine work is top notch man! I am definately going to need you to make a few other small pieces for this bike when you have the time, nothing as complicated as this though. Thanks again bud, I really appreciate the effort, time, and quality craftsmanship you put in to making this for me.

Great work! That is a sweet looking piece.

You're Welcome Joe! I'll be happy to make your other parts after I finish a big project of my own and a couple of small projects for other memebers here.

Thanks hamz and everyone else, I'm glad you all enjoyed seeing how it was done. :)

I loved the pics showing how you made it. The pics do it no justice, you just can't get a feel for how bad ass this thing looks in person, and the quality of the craftsmanship is outstanding. I will post up some pics as soon as I get it back on the bike. Now I just gotta scrape up the coin to get the chain and sprocket drive for it now. Anyone need a paintjob? lol. :D

Back