Just a Swingin' - One for NCNitro (56K warning)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racer 1966

What are we doing today?
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Anyone make any r/c related new year's resolutions? I did. For a long time I've been wanting to get my r/c business off the ground. It's hard to do with a wife and family,especially when the wife isn't on-board with the idea. Well I finally got her on-board so this is the year to make it happen!

First off though,I have a few back projects that need clearing out of the way so I thought I'd share one with you guys here. This is one that's been sitting around here waaayyy too long. It's a motorcycle swingarm for NCNitro,I'm sorry it's taken so long Joe and thanks for being so patient.

So let's get on to what it looks like and how I'm making the new one. The problems with the stocker are simple,it's plastic and it needs to be made so the axle position can be adjusted to allow for an upgrade to a belt drive. Here's a couple of pics of the original arm. The new one will be billet 6061-T6 aluminum.

originalarm1.JPG

originalarm2.JPG

The first part of the project is to measure the size and locations of everything and then use that data make a CAD drawing to program my cnc mill from. Figuring some things like an arc radius can be difficult to match exactly,so we'll see how I do. :)

With the drawing done, the first thing to do is pick out my material and rough saw it to size. Sorry for the pic quality from here down,I kept forgetting my camera so these are from my phone.

blanks1.JPG

From there I then mill them to get clean surfaces and the sides and ends square to the the top and bottom. This will allow me to accurately locate my holes in the next step.

mill1.JPG

mill2.JPG

blanks2.JPG

Now I can use my drawing and put in the holes and cut-outs to mate to two pieces together.

mating1.JPG

mating2.JPG

With the 2 pieces mated and fit to each other I must now have a way to mill the profile. To accomplish this I add a couple of holes to each piece,in a calculated loctation of course. Then I find another block,we call this a sacrificial block, and I drill and tap holes in the same locations. I can now mount the two pieces to the sacrificial block.

profile1.JPG

Now it's time to make it look like something! Again referring to the cad drawing,I progam the profile. I'll make shallow first cut to check that my profile matches the original part.

oops1.JPG

Well as you can see,I missed the radius by a bit on the front side of the arm. Like I said, they can hard to match. So I make a few cahnges on the CAD drawing,face off the top of the blocks(they were intentionally left too thick) and take another shallow cut to see how my changes look.

corrected.JPG

Ok,that's better. Still not exact,but close enough I can live with it. So now I go ahead and mill the profile to the depth of the part plus a little.

profile2.JPG

Next is to add a small radius on the corners around to part. I used layout fluid so I could see to blend it properly.

profile3.JPG

I didn't cut through since there would be nothing to keep the part in place and I didn't want risk the part being sucked into the cut and damaged. So from here I removed it from the the sacrificial block and took it to the band saw. Carefully I cut away the big chunks of scrap.

cutout.JPG

That's where I'm going to have to end for today. Don't go too far,I'll have updates tomorrow.

Last edited:
Wow Randy that is some great looking work there. I really wish I had the mad skills

The swing arm is looking very nice, I can't wait to see what else your going to be making!

Dude, that is awesome! I can't wait to see it in person, that is really going to be sweet on my Ricky dirt bike project. When that's done I may have to get you to do a few small much simpler parts for the front forks next.

BTW, I love seeing how it is done too, that's bad ass!

It's really cool to see how a part is made!

Very nice work!

Beautiful work Randy. Any chance you can save me a spot in line for that Savage radio tray cover? :ahem:
I've also got extra parts to give you, and photoshopped pics of the changes, to make it simpler and give it a cleaner look.

The design was completed Long time ago. I just got sidetracked by too many other projects.
As long as I finish replacing the rest of these parts with alloy, the Savvy should be ready to run this spring. :D:hehe:

As long as I finish replacing the rest of these parts with alloy, the Savvy should be ready to run this spring. :D:hehe:

It's a good thing you added those emoticons or else somebody might actually have taken you seriously. :)

the Savvy should be ready to run this spring. :D:hehe:

That line got a little mountain dew to go up my nose, you should put a warning before making comments like that.

I thought you guys might enjoy seeing how it's made :yes:

Any chance you can save me a spot in line for that Savage radio tray cover?

Yeah Ralph I'd love to make it for you but it'll be while before I can. Like I said,I want to clear out the projects I have for other people,then I have a couple of my own to focus on. They're going to be time consuming since I am making the tooling to mass produce the parts for selling.

The swing arm is looking very nice, I can't wait to see what else your going to be making!

Sorry, I won't be able show you how I make mine. Can't divulge trade secrets you know :)

Most of my business will not be one-off parts. They're really expensive if you count time in the cost. I do them mostly just for fun and the "challenge" they provide.

That's amazing, I'd love to have access to a mill, and the free time to learn how to use it. :D I can't wait to see the finished product. Damnit, now I'm going to want an RC motorcycle.

Update time!

Time for an update on this part!

We left off after having the main profile cut and then sawing off the big scrap pieces from it. So from there, the next step is to mill the bottom side to make proper thickness and blend a corner radius to match the top side.

To accomplish this,I first make a spacer that is the right width to fit between the arms. I can then calmp the unit in the vise and flycut the surface and radius the corner. Luckily,aluminum is very structurally strong and cuts with low tool pressure so I can leave the end unsupported while cutting and still leave a nice finish.

profile4.JPG

Now it's time to finish up the frame mounting holes and radius the pivot end of the arm. I first counter bore the previously drilled hole already there for the screw. I was also unhappy with the fit of the 2 pins aligning the 2 halves of the arm so I resized one and added a 3rd pin leaving the one for shock mount alone. I can now stand it on it's side in the vise. Now I can radius the end, add a corner radius to blend with the other corners. Then I bore the hole for the pivot pin and bearings to mount it to the frame.

mountend.JPG

Now that end of the arm is finished! Time to work on the axle end.

I had already calculated the distance between the pivot point and the axle so I could draw up a design. However, it needs to be exactly the same as original so I used the mill to get a more accurate reading. To do this I picked out some gage pins that fit the original holes in the original arm. I lightly clamped the original arm in the vise and the pin for the pivot end in my drill chuck. Next I jog around the table until it lines up with the pivot hole and I can lower the quill with the pin entering hole without touching the side. I can set the location as "zero". Then I switch to the pin that fits the axle end and jog the table over and align it with the hole in the same manner as the pivot hole. Looking at the readout on the mill,I now have an exact measurement of the distance.

pinhole1.JPG

pinhole2.JPG

readout.JPG

Then my wife calls. It's snowing and she wants me to get home beforethe roads get bad. So that's where we'll have quit for now. Stay tuned, the end is near! :)

You are one badass with a machine Randy.....that is some sweet work.

Back