Is this fast ?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilDaRc

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Last night at a race my mod 1 4 tec 3.0 did 72mph in 604ft. Is that slow ? It should have been 100mph+ right

63017BD9-C514-403D-9C35-05E56223542A.png

604ft one way? Or 302 ft each way. Either way how many cells. On 2 or 3s that's definitely decent.

I dont understand why you are doing 600ft runs. If you're going for top speed then why not run it a real quater or half mile. It used to take at least half a mile for my Rustler to hit 110-120MPH. Thats pretty damn fast if you ask me

I dont understand why you are doing 600ft runs. If you're going for top speed then why not run it a real quater or half mile. It used to take at least half a mile for my Rustler to hit 110-120MPH. Thats pretty damn fast if you ask me
The parking lot i was running this car is not that long . A plaza parking lot . shopping carts and poles . so i braked when i see how it took off. didnt want to hit nothing at that speed so i braked in 600ft. i will try at a long clear free open road. But I'm still change my gearing from MOD 1 to something else

The parking lot i was running this car is not that long . A plaza parking lot . shopping carts and poles . so i braked when i see how it took off. didnt want to hit nothing at that speed so i braked in 600ft. i will try at a long clear free open road. But I'm still change my gearing from MOD 1 to something else
Yeah, you're gonna need at least a 1/4 mile of smooth unobstructed road and preferably with no ditches, fences, other obstacles on the sides of the road. Speed runs tend to get expensive as crashes are likely to happen as you're dialing the car in so if you can find soemthing like I'm describing it can help minimize damage from wrecks.

I would use whatever gear pitch gets you closer to a 1:1 ratio

Yeah, 72mph is fast.

At sustained speed your car is covering 106ft/sec. Bringing that more into reality, a city block is 311ft long. At 72mph sustained your car is covering a city block in 2.9sec.

As you learned, speed eats up distance really quickly with an RC car. Your 19mph average speed takes into account both acceleration and deceleration on the run. Time to speed is also an important factor in speed runs. The higher the gearing, the longer it takes to get up to speed and the more distance it eats up. So as much as you want to record big numbers for speed, sometimes distance available requires a lower gear to get up to speed in distance available.

Distance available to safely run out a car is the wall I hit speed running my Rustler. Just don't have a clear run for any distance where I live. That and I usually run alone without a spotter which is really taking a BIG risk. A risk I chose not to take so discontinued speed runs.

However, now considering a caveat that would include a J-turn rolling start for a measured 132ft speed run course with a 132ft shut down. 10th-scale quarter mile from back in my RC drag racing days. Having a rolling start means the car does not have to break inertia-at-rest and should result in a higher speed. Personal Best (PB) will suffer as a result, but safety wise, it is more manageable. Something for you to consider in testing while you search for that full quarter or half mile Greywolf recommends.

Good luck and cheers. 'AC' (If you made it through the length of this post, that in itself shows a lot of courage :D )

Back