is non chlorinated brake clean safe for bearings/seals/o rings etc?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalikaria24

RC Newbie
Reaction score
hi all, i have a losi 454 that was sitting for a while with no backplate so its pretty dirty inside and has dust everywhere. ill have to dissasemble and clean it. before i do i want to soak and rinse it to get most of the dust and grit out etc, so can i just soak in non chlorinated brake clean? or is it better to use water and simply green or isopropyl alcohol?
i dont want to harm the bearinds and seals etc
thx!

If it were me, Id remove the bearings and pop the seals off and blast em with CowRCs nitro cleaner (or something similar) and then re-oil/re-grease the bearings and replace the seals. While the bearings are out of the engine should be able to clean the case and the internals, reoil them using a bit of after run oil and then put everything back together.

Side note: It is possible to clean and re-oil the bearings without removing them but I find it easier to remove the bearings.

I don't recommend soaking in brake cleaner. Spray, clean, wipe and blow dry with air isn't an issue.
Old nitro fuel works good for soak cleaning nitro parts.

I don't recommend soaking in brake cleaner. Spray, clean, wipe and blow dry with air isn't an issue.
Old nitro fuel works good for soak cleaning nitro parts.
thanks bro so i can just keep dunking it in old nitro and that should clean all the dust and everything out? or should i dissasemble and clean with nitro

I would remove the head/piston/sleeve and crank. Soak it and get everything free'd up then blast with some spray cleaner and blow it dry. Use a little 3 in 1 oil or some after run oil and lube the bearings. If they turn smooth then I would reassemble and run it!

I usually use 3 in 1 oil, but thats for wheel and tranny bearings.

If you can remove the shield, rom has a bearing blaster. I have not used one, but it may help someone else.

Back