Introducing someone to the world of tiny trucks.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa crawler

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Flying
My wife’s boss is coming over to check out my trucks.
He wants to get into RC. He bought a Tamiya FJ a few years ago and his kids did not really like it. He lost the radio and wants to see if he can get it going.
My wife told him an RTR is five or six hundred dollars and he did not seem to think that was to much. But obviously he is not up to date on the last five years of changes in the world of rock crawling.

I don’t want to intimidate him and think you need to spend a ton of money to have fun. I think he’s just looking for a fun hobby to do for himself.

So I started to think of what do you tell people about.

Battery safety is my first thought.
Budget concerns .
And finding out what the person wants to do.

This is a list of topics and things to do with a tiny truck. What have I left out?

Think to do with tiny trucks
1/24 scale indoor corse.
Building trucks
Rock crawling
Rock racing
Comp crawling
Trail exploration
5 k trail running.
Short corse racing
Drag racing
Dirt oval
Indoor carpet

Battery safety
Battery chargers
Batteries
Tools
Hardware
Work space
Connectors
Aftermarket parts

I would have him do some browsing on you tube, and see what interests him the most, street, bashing, crawling. So many options. Other than that I think you've covered just about everything.

yeah I definitely wouldnt hit him with all of that at once. You'll have him runnin' out the door screaming from fright! 🤣

Just start with what he wants to do and budget and let him dictate where to go from there. Gotta sucker em in slowly at first lol

My wife’s boss is coming over to check out my trucks.
He wants to get into RC. He bought a Tamiya FJ a few years ago and his kids did not really like it. He lost the radio and wants to see if he can get it going.
My wife told him an RTR is five or six hundred dollars and he did not seem to think that was to much. But obviously he is not up to date on the last five years of changes in the world of rock crawling.

I don’t want to intimidate him and think you need to spend a ton of money to have fun. I think he’s just looking for a fun hobby to do for himself.

So I started to think of what do you tell people about.

Battery safety is my first thought.
Budget concerns .
And finding out what the person wants to do.

This is a list of topics and things to do with a tiny truck. What have I left out?

Think to do with tiny trucks
1/24 scale indoor corse.
Building trucks
Rock crawling
Rock racing
Comp crawling
Trail exploration
5 k trail running.
Short corse racing
Drag racing
Dirt oval
Indoor carpet

Battery safety
Battery chargers
Batteries
Tools
Hardware
Work space
Connectors
Aftermarket parts
To keep it cheap, the LATRAX vehicles are RTR and can be had for well under $200 RTR. Stay away from the cheap junk at places like WALMART and TARGET. Tell him to find a local hobby shop that will help him get started. One local hobby shop bear me even consignment sells used stuff. Once they get interested, you can introduce them to DIY KITS that cost between $200 and $400. Also check out pawn shops. I snagged a complete, only slightly battered eREVO that needed ~$20 of replacement parts gor $50 !!

Back