In Need of a Software Guru - 03 Office Professional - Outlook

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrechM

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I need a tip on how to fix a glitch in Outlook.

If I forward an email that contains an attachment(s) often the recipient gets a blank email. From the responses I've received the header is intact.

If I save the attachment to file, create a new email and attach or insert it the recipient receives the attachment.

OS, Win XP SP3 - Office Professional SP3.

I've been to the dreaded MS site, played with my firewall settings, adjusted my AV, changed email setups to html, rich text and plain text in both locations, etc., etc. and etc.

It only appears to be an issue only when an email is forwarded.

Any thoughts???

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on, you wizards and geeks. I get my best stuff from StrechM and I've been his testing ground for everything he's tried so far. I suggested he post it here, knowing how many of you are deep into computereze.

dont use outlook? that would be my solution or instead of forwarding them create a new email and re attach the file.. i alays had the same issue so i went to the new windows live mail

I've had that issue at work before is this your home email or company email? alot of places will block certain attachments like .exe ones, for security reasons.

I've had that issue at work before is this your home email or company email? alot of places will block certain attachments like .exe ones, for security reasons.

Its the home email but there are some other reasons that its favored over some of the other programs available. I've used this same software suite without a glitch for several years.

This is an issue thats recently started.

I've also completly uninstalled it then reinstalled it.

thats odd if your computer is new enough call tech support on it almost any machine has a year free

http://knicksmith.blogspot.com/2007/03/exchange-2007-and-outlook-2003-where.html

this seems like a widespread issue with 03, check that link and look at the last step. I'm not sure what he is talking about with "real" attachments as opposed to inline, but its worth a shot.

It hadn't spread to me until recently.

You are onto something beason.That link linked me to others that linked back to the possible answer at ms.

It depends on what Rolex tells me over the next series of emails if its a keeper.

Can you hear me now Rolex?

http://knicksmith.blogspot.com/2007/03/exchange-2007-and-outlook-2003-where.html

this seems like a widespread issue with 03, check that link and look at the last step. I'm not sure what he is talking about with "real" attachments as opposed to inline, but its worth a shot.

Inline attachments are when the file is encoded with something like "UUEncode" or "Base64" and then pasted directly into the body of the email. It is/was used in Newsgroups back in the day.. Might still be used today; haven't checked in ages.

It's fairly easy to spot an inline attachment. It looks something like this:

Begin Base64 Attachment: "file.ext"
VGhpcyBpcyBhIHdob2xlIGxvdHRhIHRleHQgdGhhdCBwcmV0dHkgbXVjaCBtZWFucyBub3RoaW5n
LiBTZXJpb3VzbHksIGRvbid0IGV2ZW4gYm90aGVyIHRyeWluZyB0byBkZWNvZGUgaXQuIE9oLCBv
a2F5LCBzbyB5b3UgZGlkIGRlY29kZSBpdC4uLiBObyBiaWcgZGVhbCwgZWguIFRvbGQgeW91IGl0
IHdhcyBhIHdhc3RlIG9mIHRpbWUsIGhhaGFoLgo=
End Base64 Attachment

When that is cut-and-pasted out to a .UUE file, then ran thru a decoder (some newsgroup readers feature an automatic decoder), it will spit out the file, ready to use.

"Real" attachments are files that are attached by way of the "paperclip" method. In due reality, they are probably (hazarding a guess here folks) in-lined at the end of the email behind-the-scenes.

Now, as for Outlook's little hiccup... It's a strong possibility that there is a setting in the options that is set to remove attachments from forwards... Poke around in your options, and see if you spot anything like that.

Unfortunately it hasn't been a decoding issue like found with newsgroups readers that decode yenc data.
All emails were being encoded in RFT (rich text format) that is proprietary to Outlook users.
The attachments are acually being sent and received. Unless the recipient is an outlook user usually the email body including attachment(s) is blank with no referrence to an attached file.
It may be fixed. I made a couple of tweaks last night but I won't know until after I get some responses later today.

Thanks gentlemen and thank you Rolex for putting up with this!

Thanks beason. That link ended up linking back to the real fix at the dreaded ms support site. There was a heads up on multiple recipient issues not being able to read the rtf format. How my settings changed is only a guess at this point.

Thanks again.

The check is in the mail..

but first you must take a number.

Back