I'm off to wreck my newly built plain.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastEddy

The Slowest Guy In Town
Supporter
RCTalk Vendor
Reaction score
I just got done putting the final touches on my plain. I built it from a kit not an ARF. I haven't flown in 30 years. I have already set my mind on it not coming home the way it was but am hoping for the best. No wind and an hour of sun left.

I'm off to do the dirty deed.

Luck......

FastEddy said:
I just got done putting the final touches on my plain. I built it from a kit not an ARF. I haven't flown in 30 years. I have already set my mind on it not coming home the way it was but am hoping for the best. No wind and an hour of sun left.

I'm off to do the dirty deed.

Luck......

Wreck your PLAIN what? Is that like a plain bagel, a plain donut, what? :D

Oooooh you mean plane... So how did it go? You take any pics before the deed?

i wanna see the "after" carnage pics.

yea ed we need befor and after pics of your plain..!!!

I made short work of that!
Takes off and flys great, Landing is an issue :D

It took right off and nearly flew itself after doing a few small trim adjustments. Seeing as how I haven't built a plane in 30 years I'm proud that it even flew. I was able to circle the field a few times at different altitudes and get a feel for it. I did stall it out trying to see how steep it could climb. I just let go of the controls and it recovered quickly.

I was up for about 5 minuets then decided to land. I over shot the first approach by a million miles so circled around at a lower altitude for another try. It was coming in a bit steep but right on target. I tried to get the nose up but it didn't happen quick enough.

Damage:
Ripped the nose gear off which in turn riped the first fusalodge wall that held the motor. (Key word HELD) Separated about an inch of the fusalodge bottom from the side.

Not to bad. It will take an hour or so to repair it. I was prepared to come home with a total loss. I'm ahead of the game.

Glad to hear there where no casualities lol. I have always thought it would be cool to have a plane, my uncle had a couple huge ones when I was little he kept them hanging from the rafters in his Garage because they where so big!

Congratulations. I haven't flew for 2 years. Started once to sell everything. Hope I can get back into it soon.
Been kinda put out with the club I'm in. I still have 3 that fly, about 5 on the boards and a bunch of plans! Bought a 3-cyl. last winter. Couldn't pass it up. $450 for a $600 engine. Thought it would get me out of my rut. That didn't work. But I think as much love as I have for aircraft, it'll come back.
Good luck bro.

If it was me I'd get caught it the "Plane eating tree" just like the one that eats all of charlie brown's kites.

FE, what kind of plane and motor are running?

All my experience is with taildraggers, but if I find myself coming kind of hot or about to do a mild overshot, I go for a 3 point landing using the tail gear, basically I get the tail level with the ground, then drop the tail quickly with the elevator while completely cutting the power. Plop, lands on all three. Flaps would help.

I finally got around to taking a few pics of the beast for the wonderful Department of homeland security.

Attachments

• plane2.jpg
    plane2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 123
  • plane1.jpg
    plane1.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 120
Thats pretty sweet! My first attempt flying, well.. Lets just say I'm still repairing it. What size mill is in that one? Whats the wingspan? Edd, next time ya come up to my neck of the woods, ya should drop in, and give me some pointers.. Ill even see what I can do to get a Freshwater maid here for ya..lol

56 inch wingspan, Electric 600 can electric.
Pointers on flying, He-he, lol, yah right............
My best advise is to learn to land first.
Taking off is optional. Landing or should I say coming back to the ground is mandatory.

I think that trouble you are having with landing has something to do with where you mounted your motor...that Mercury 25 may have a lot of torque, but it looks like it is getting in the way of the tricycle gear.

Just remember, takeoffs are optional, landings are mandatory.

I landed it there. Like I said, I'm new at this. I was a bit upset that I couldn't get it centered a little better. I need more practice.

5 minutes isn't that long for a check ride. I usually get a new plane off the ground and trimmed as soon as possible. Then I do alot of practice approaches until I get the hang on it's stall speed, power on/off glide characteristics and how it turns. All of this is a setup for that first landing on a new plane. Sounds boring, but it's all to necessary.

I am glad it flew good though. There's just something about building a kit and having it fly. I hope the rebuild goes good and impacts the good flying very little.

I already rebuilt the motor mounts and have had it up again. Ran another pack and a half through it. It still take way to much concentration. I'm sure ill get more comfortable in due time. I just hope the plane holds together until I can learn to fly again.

Once its up I spend all my brain power trying to get it to do what I want it to. I still dread landing but it needs to be done. Ill practice the tasks you mentioned. It makes sense.

Thats a sweet plane Eddy. Is it able to do barrel rolls and things like that? I dont know anything about them and what they are capable of doing. I've seen a couple flying around here off in the distance and they look like they would be lots of fun. Also are the kits difficult to build?

Back