I'm looking for the ultimate basher :D

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukeklaas

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey so there is this awesome bmx park that we found that me and my dad drive our Losi 5ive , but se saw these huge jumps that are wayyy too steep for our Losi , so I was wondering what kinda truck could handle that kinda jump, and I came down to either ; the arrma outcast, the traxxas x maxx, the erevo, the arrma Nero big rock, or the hpi savage XL flux or octane. I just need something big , jumps good, and can take a huge beating, budget is not an issue within reason.

Arrma Big Rock or HPI Savage (gas/brushless/nitro)

Traxxas needs a lot of upgrades to make it bulletproof imo..

Arrma Big Rock or HPI Savage (gas/brushless/nitro)

Traxxas needs a lot of upgrades to make it bulletproof imo..
there are so many different savages, which one is the best for big jumps and such, and are the gas versions easier then the nitro versions like the fifth scales?

Savage XL Flux or nitro. Gas engine isn't that good if you read the stories..
XL chassis gives better handling, is a lot more stable.

Do NOT get an Octane. Yes I have one and know.

I saw something new that might interest you. Arrma Fazon.
ARRMAs 6S BLX brushless power system will propel your ARRMA FAZON 6S to speeds in excess of 60mph, and with ARRMAs Advanced Diff Technology, you can experience four amazing driving modes for the broadest and most exciting Monster Truck experience imaginable.

The stunning Monster Truck bodyshell is supported by a beautifully engineered aluminum TVP chassis, big bore shock absorbers and aluminum slider Universal Joint driveshafts. Amazing speed, wheelie-popping power and breath taking looks make the ARRMA FAZON 6S the fastest looking, multi-drive mode RC Monster Truck in the world.
JNJYU4Q2PDGU68PZU2WANXGDVJHFD8RRGBFVVQ99F2B2DRZXZP.jpg

Do NOT get an Octane. Yes I have one and know.

I saw something new that might interest you. Arrma Fazon.
ARRMAs 6S BLX brushless power system will propel your ARRMA FAZON 6S to speeds in excess of 60mph, and with ARRMAs Advanced Diff Technology, you can experience four amazing driving modes for the broadest and most exciting Monster Truck experience imaginable.

The stunning Monster Truck bodyshell is supported by a beautifully engineered aluminum TVP chassis, big bore shock absorbers and aluminum slider Universal Joint driveshafts. Amazing speed, wheelie-popping power and breath taking looks make the ARRMA FAZON 6S the fastest looking, multi-drive mode RC Monster Truck in the world.
JNJYU4Q2PDGU68PZU2WANXGDVJHFD8RRGBFVVQ99F2B2DRZXZP.jpg
That thing looks pretty sweet! do you have any experience with arrma? their stuff looks good but i havent heard from people that owned them you know

My son has a Kraton. He did have a problem. It exploded in my kitchen LOL. I put it out with a fire extinguisher. They replaced the whole car and the battery. It was an ESC problem with the first gen cars. He loves it and is very impressed with their customer service. I have run his car and am impressed. We went to a park and he was a bit overconfident in his driving skills and hit a tree going 30MPH and then a concrete paving block going 20. It shook it off and we kept running it. It would have totaled my Savage X. I don't run any electrics but if I ever get one it will be ARRMA.

The Fazon does look sweet. If I just didnt need $200 in batteries to run it I would be tempted.

Sister forum to this one run by the same people https://arrmaforum.com/

Last edited:
so far I'm most interested in the arrma outcast, the traxxas x maxx,savage xl flux, and the e revo.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/LOS04002 i just saw this thing. anybody know anything about it

An ultimate basher could be anything ,an anything out on market will break!

Question should be is parts availability!....You should find a basher that is durable but have
good parts support!

I run an Ae Mgt. ,an been bashing it fir 12 years.The first year it was great but in time the plastic got brittle with age.
I bought aftermarket parts an cured that ,truck is good to go for years to come.

The truck you showed is a name brand ,so make sure that theres plenty parts available for it!...:cool:

@lukeklaas the Savage has a proven history for taking a heck of a beating and keep on going so that is certainly worth checking out. Also the Arrma brand has really been making a name for itself lately and the Kraton, Nero (also Big Rock and Fazon), and Outcast are all worthy RC's to put on that list too.

@lukeklaas the Savage has a proven history for taking a heck of a beating and keep on going so that is certainly worth checking out. Also the Arrma brand has really been making a name for itself lately and the Kraton, Nero (also Big Rock and Fazon), and Outcast are all worthy RC's to put on that list too.
man they are so good huh? man this tough. is the xmaxx any good? i like its size. i also like the losi 5th scale gas mt, the losi 5t has been bulletproof for me so maybe its good too, and gas is so convenient

I know this one has engine issues: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/LOS04002
Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Considering the platform, I'd not bother with it. Takes more $ thrown at it to be "tough" as a basher IMHO. I'm basing that off the aftershock/LST2 experience I've had.

The 1/5 MT your looking at is only listed as a couple inches shorter than the 5ive-T and is 6 inches wider. The arms also look less bulky than the 5iveT, which could mean they are a bit more fragile.

If you want to stick with gas instead of nitro or lipo, then the losi 1/5MT might be something that could work for you. After having a 5B ss, I'm not sure I'd ever get another gasser. Just too much vehicle for where I run and the lack of a 2-speed makes them sluggish off the line and lacking in top speed.

Having owned a 1/5 Baja, I'm mostly with Olds97. The low end bog is easily fixed, though it costs a bit of money. But the sheer ease with which they eat up terrain that would throw an 1/8 scale all over the place, means play areas the size of a soccer field get small in a hurry. That and I know many have issues with the slight smell when stored indoors. You'll have that same issue with nitro residue mind you, and I personally think the smell is worse, for me at least.

For an all out basher, I'm biased, I think the Savage Flux has it hands down. Problem is, with the issues HPI is going through currently, I would not buy one. The brushless Revo I had held up very well, and had stupid amounts of power on tap, and handles much better than a Savage. If you're a decent driver, and know how to pick your lines, the brushless Revo would serve you well. If you're a bit of a hit and hope, or beat your truck type, then you may want to hold out and see if HPI solve their issues. Or guinea pig the new Arrma with the TVP chassis.

An ultimate basher could be anything ,an anything out on market will break!

Question should be is parts availability!....You should find a basher that is durable but have
good parts support!

That's great advice especially if your unfamiliar with jumping/landing large concrete ramps.
I took a modified TMaxx out to a skate park once and it was short lived.

Even though HPI is going through some stuff right now, I would not hesitate to buy their stuff. I've been pretty loyal to the Savage for obvious reasons over the years (tough and sweet looking trucks) There is enough factory and aftermarket Savage stuff out there that even if the Savage and/or parts were never made again, there will still be quite a selection for many years to come. Used rollers, RTR, and parts lots are still all over FB and Ebay.

I was in this same situation - spent about a month searching EVERYWHERE for what I wanted...almost bought a new Arrma Kraton, then a RIval, then a nice older LST2 nitro, an ultimately ended up getting a Savage X with some nice upgrades and an LRP 30. Can't really go wrong with it - only thing that would make it better would be Flux or XL driveline.

Even though HPI is going through some stuff right now, I would not hesitate to buy their stuff. I've been pretty loyal to the Savage for obvious reasons over the years (tough and sweet looking trucks) There is enough factory and aftermarket Savage stuff out there that even if the Savage and/or parts were never made again, there will still be quite a selection for many years to come. Used rollers, RTR, and parts lots are still all over FB and Ebay.

I was in this same situation - spent about a month searching EVERYWHERE for what I wanted...almost bought a new Arrma Kraton, then a RIval, then a nice older LST2 nitro, an ultimately ended up getting a Savage X with some nice upgrades and an LRP 30. Can't really go wrong with it - only thing that would make it better would be Flux or XL driveline.

Wait ,your not an RC newbie!...:p

Hey buddy how are ya? Good to see you over here. LOL I need to get an avatar here and start posting - I have been quite the slacker since I joined in 2011 :)