I'm back, with a cogging Xmaxx

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2revo1maxx

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Good morning all. I have an 8s Xmaxx that I've been keeping around for about 6 years. I noticed from day one it likes to stutter or "cog" whenever I nail the throttle. I've never been able to figure it out, but now since it's being used it's gotten really bad. I'm suspecting a motor issue, but don't wanna throw money away either.
Thanks

Stock gearing?
Stock size tires?
I like to throw junk together as a science experiment and have been able to cure cogging by changing gearing. Most of the time I could get away with a smaller pinion gear change. This wreck had a 6s Kraton motor/esc in it and clogged horribly trying to launch it. It was almost perfect with a drop of 5 teeth on the pinion. It destroyed itself in a few months but it was fun.
20210816_073845.jpg

Last edited:
Stock gearing?
Stock size tires?
I like to throw junk together as a science experiment and have been able to cure cogging by changing gearing. Most of the time I could get away with a smaller pinion gear change. This wreck had a 6s Kraton motor/esc in it and clogged horribly trying to launch it. It was almost perfect with a drop of 5 teeth on the pinion. It destroyed itself in a few months but it was fun.
View attachment 147889
It's 100% stock, but I could use new batteries. They're stock Traxxas 6700's, but it's been doing this all along. Only yesterday it started doing it really bad. So bad I could barely drive it. It seems to get better after everything warms up.

Good morning all. I have an 8s Xmaxx that I've been keeping around for about 6 years. I noticed from day one it likes to stutter or "cog" whenever I nail the throttle. I've never been able to figure it out, but now since it's being used it's gotten really bad. I'm suspecting a motor issue, but don't wanna throw money away either.
Thanks
What esc you running
What esc you running
Sorry just saw your still stock so the VXL by traxxas. That's the problem

Think it's time to get better electronics in your X.. I'm surprised the VXL has lasted this long. Is it a 6s conversion to 8s. Or a true 8s system?? Traxxas electronics are horrible in my opinion. The VXL doesn't have any programming as far as punch goes. It's very limited..

Think it's time to get better electronics in your X.. I'm surprised the VXL has lasted this long. Is it a 6s conversion to 8s. Or a true 8s system?? Traxxas electronics are horrible in my opinion. The VXL doesn't have any programming as far as punch goes. It's very limited..
Good question about the conversion and I agree that traxxas electronics are junk but it seems odd to me that the OP says its been happening since it was new. If you've never calibrated the esc, the issue could be as simple as that. They don't come calibrated correctly out of the box. They work, yes, but correctly, no. I've always noticed an improvement in performance after the initial calibration.

I
Good question about the conversion and I agree that traxxas electronics are junk but it seems odd to me that the OP says its been happening since it was new. If you've never calibrated the esc, the issue could be as simple as that. They don't come calibrated correctly out of the box. They work, yes, but correctly, no. I've always noticed an improvement in performance after the initial calibration.
100% agree with that. I always re cal. My tx/rx if rtr is bought. I tore my entire X apart. Out the box went over the hole thing. Before I ran mine to be honest.. read all the reviews I could and videos. To many stupid mistakes from factory. Mass production 😉 To the original OP. Have you tried re calibration of the TX lately or done any modes

I'm not sure what else I can do with the esc. I've done the whole thing with holding the throttle forward and reverse, and it's been in all three modes.
It was barely used for the first few years, and I'd be surprised if it has 50 runs on it.
Thanks everyone, I'll be trying new batteries first.

Hate to say it but probably not the batteries bud sorry.. It's definitely the esc. There not much you can do with the stock Traxxas esc. There's no programmable setting. The VXL esc has burnt out on guys first run. First set of batteries..You say it sat for a few yrs. How long did your lipos sit for. While in a storage mode. They should still be cycled once or twice a month. To keep the cells active... shoot I just pulled my VXL esc out of my X before it starts giving me problems. Especially if you added any extra weight to the truck as in aluminum parts.

Back