I'm a beginner I need help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Autobodyguy

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I had a nitro rustler back when I was kid "my dad fixed/tuned it" and I've been out of the hobby for some time I got a deal on a jato and an hpi drift car both nitro the jato won't start and don't know y I'm in wi and it's about 20 degrees today that's the only thing I can come up with why it won't and the hpi drift car starts and runs great but when I'm running it if I give it to much gas to quickly it boggs down why!!!

20F is a bit cold to be running, you should wrap the head with a sock or ziptie a paper towel to it to block air from going through it.

For reference, most engines have at least 3 adjustments. HSN (high speed needle), LSN (low speed needle), idle set screw.
Carbhelp.jpg

For the hpi, the HSN (high speed needle) is probably needing adjusted. If it's spitting a lot of excess fuel out of the exhaust, it's too rich. You need to adjust the HSN by turning it clockwise, 1/8 turn at a time.

As for the jato, are you using the easy start for heating the plug or an external heater? Is the plug good? Does it's coil glow when taken out and put into an igniter? Is fuel getting to the engine? Try resetting the carb back to factory settings (HSN 4 turns out from bottom, LSN flush with inner ring, idle with 1mm gap down the carb throat).

Here's some traxxas specific engine instructions:
https://traxxas.com/support/Factory-Carburetor-Settings-TRX-25-25R-and-33

The hpi does spit fuel out of the exhaust thanks I'll try that but the as far as the jato goes I checked the plug its good fuel is there I haven't touch any carb screws but they don't LOOK out of wack, am I supposed to put in a different glow plug for different temps?

am I supposed to put in a different glow plug for different temps?

Plug temp is really only a way to tune the engine to the nitro content and compression. Usually, small blocks like a hot plug and big blocks like a little cooler plug. If your running 20-25% nitro, you should be fine with a hot plug.

Well the girlfriend just broke the control arm on the drift car so tuning that today is not happening haha jato finally started runs perfect thanks for the advice!