idle screw and hsn tuning

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwilson

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi guys I know u must get this question all the time but I having real trouble tuning my gx15 engine can anyone give me a easy tuning guide please

You cannot go wrong with what Greywolf linked. I performance tuned my tmaxx yesterday using this guide and it is running real good.

I'm pretty new to this nitro, been into it for a few months. But, even in this short amount of time I have picked up a few tricks.

One thing that helped me understand tuning a little better is this...
When I read about the HSN, it is most described as, the HSN meters the fuel at high speeds. Which it true, but I like to look at it differently. As the HSN is controlling ALL the fuel entering the carb and the the LSN controls the amount entering the motor at an idle/low speed.

I say this because when I was new, desperately trying to tune my .15 pro, if it seemed like it was rich when idling. I would go straight to the lsn, Because it meters idle/low speed right? But in fact it was probably the hsn that needed leaning.

This is just an example, I'm not saying that if your idle is rich to lean out your hsn. Again I'm new and I might totally have it a$$-backwards but it makes sense to me.

Yer I'm finding mines ilding really high and trys to run off but theres no top end power its really boggy

Sounds like your LSN is too lean and your HSN is too rich. You should never adjust the HSN to set the idle, if you lean it to the point that it has any effect on the idle your mid and high end will be dangerously lean.

Sounds like your LSN is too lean and your HSN is too rich. You should never adjust the HSN to set the idle, if you lean it to the point that it has any effect on the idle your mid and high end will be dangerously lean.

Yeah, I have trouble articulating my thoughts. I guess to add on to what I said before. There have been times where my pede would idle just fine, but any sign of throttle it would bog and not move. And when I was new I probably went to the LSN instead of the HSN. And I guess that's what I was really trying to say instead of the hsn and idle thing.

I'm not trying to give bad advice, I apologize if I confused anyone.

Make sure your idle gap is set correctly. I use a small paperclip and then make it just a hair smaller. Works well for me.

I know for a long time I chased a tune around and couldn't get it 100% but enough to run good and not over heat. But after putting at least 2.5 gals on my trx .15 pro, I set everything back to factory and re-did the tune and it was pretty easy to get going really well.

What I'm trying to say is, if the engine is still new, with maybe 1 gal of fuel on it. It may just have to be truly broken in a little more before you can get that perfect tune. Just try to get it working good, decent idle, good power, smoke and temps put another gal or 2 on it then you can really do a performance tune.

Speaking of, how much fuel have you ran through the engine?

Since I replaced the conrod piston head and sleeve , 3 tanks before that about 5l

Don't quote me here, but I'm gonna assume you probably need to re-break in the engine because of the new piston and sleeve. The break in process is all about getting the piston to fit the sleeve as best as possible. And even then 5L isn't even 1.5 gals. Wait a second, you put less than 1.5 gals on that engine and already had to replace all that?

Could the new piston and sleeve negatively effect the tune?

I managed to snap the conrod when I was new to rc why I've had to rebuild it

Its a fairly old kyosho ultima rb buggy must be 10 years old pics of it are on my profile

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

Heres a pic
KYO74015-2.gif