Identifying steering problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roma

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi.

I'm absolute nevbie in RC and dealing with first issue that I seek for solution.

How do I identify where is the problem with steering?

Remote is working well in back and forward direction but steering is completely off. I can just hear a little noise turning remote wheel in one direction but it does completely nothing.

This happened after car was accidently splashed with sea water. After 10 min it stopped responding.

So how do I identify if it's steering servo fail ar anything else?

I have Wltoys 12428.

From tools I have Multimeter.

Attachments

• 20210816_144723.jpg
    20210816_144723.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 126
If you're electronics aren't "water proof" water can easily destroy them. And it looks like that salt water is already doing a number on your metal parts.

Even with water proof vehicles it's best to get everything as dry as possible as soon as possible.

As for your steering issue. Without having a video (or seeing myself) if you're hearing the servo make noise but not getting anything it's possible the gears on the inside are rusted.

Take your multimeter and test the receiver port to see if its providing voltage to the servo. If it is then your servo is bad. If its not then your Receiver/ESC combo is bad.

Thanks.

Yes, it was accident and water is making damages to metal parts altrough I dried it as much as I could.

Here is a link for video if it helps: https://photos.app.goo.gl/z6q9cTtZ2YMa4ZcC6 That noise is very hard to hear.

I think the rust is not a reason as it stoped working after 10 min and the rust wasn't there jet.

Take your multimeter and test the receiver port to see if its providing voltage to the servo. If it is then your servo is bad. If its not then your Receiver/ESC combo is bad.

Black and red are having voltage. There is white, yellow and brown wire. Wich one should have voltage?
Black and white has 1.6V

White/yellow 3.3V
White/brown 3.3V

And when I turn the nob on the transmiter voltage remains the same. Is this normal?

Attachments

• 20210816_155217.jpg
    20210816_155217.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
best way to test a servo is with a servo tester . you also might need a ubec to take a 2 cell lipo or your battery down to a more usable voltage...so a ubec a servo tester take a look at some utube vids so you know what your dealing with to me that voltage is way to low to run a servo at 3.3 is not a good bec voltage from esc. 5.5 is or even a slighlty higher voltage up to 8.4 the so called 7,4 listing on some high voltage servos(not 7,4 but 8,4 this is why this hobby is goofy) anyway my 2 cents worth

Black and red are having voltage. There is white, yellow and brown wire. Wich one should have voltage?

Black and white has 1.6V

White/yellow 3.3V
White/brown 3.3V

And when I turn the nob on the transmiter voltage remains the same. Is this normal?
Black and red are the power wires for the motor. The other 3 wires are for the potentiometer. The voltage shouldnt fluctuate or at least not much. Unsure if 3.3V is supposed to be the correct amount but its possible. I tried to find specs on 5 wire servos but none of the ones I looked at list voltage or torque ratings. I did find two mentions from users that theirs ran on either 3.5v or 3.7V depending on which of the two references were talking about. So based off that I suppose its possible. 3 Wire servos usually run at twice that voltage or more but its hard to say with a 5 wire servo.

best way to test a servo is with a servo tester . you also might need a ubec to take a 2 cell lipo or your battery down to a more usable voltage...so a ubec a servo tester take a look at some utube vids so you know what your dealing with to me that voltage is way to low to run a servo at 3.3 is not a good bec voltage from esc. 5.5 is or even a slighlty higher voltage up to 8.4 the so called 7,4 listing on some high voltage servos(not 7,4 but 8,4 this is why this hobby is goofy) anyway my 2 cents worth
Do they make servo testers and BECs for 5 wire servos?

My guess is the servo is toast. I have the exact same car and had the exact same problem, but that doesn't mean that is the same in your case. Instead of replacing the servo on mine with a WLToys replacement, I just threw my own ESC, receiver, and servo in it to swap it to a more conventional hobby grade setup.

You being new Roma, you don't really have that option without buying everything. Which even if you go the cheap route this will cost you about as much as the car itself. But if it were me, I would do that anyway.

If you are thinking of continuing deeper down the RC rabbit hole and buying more cars, it is worthwhile to start moving more into the hobby grade stuff. WLToys are great cars for the money (I have 3 of them), but the electronics do kinda suck in them.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Hmm, no easy solution :)

I'm wondering...

The measured voltage is constant at no comand from rc and remains the same when I do any command (back, forward,left,right). This should be like that?

Black and red wire are going also into servo. Motor has separated wires.
My guess is the servo is toast. I have the exact same car and had the exact same problem, but that doesn't mean that is the same in your case. Instead of replacing the servo on mine with a WLToys replacement, I just threw my own ESC, receiver, and servo in it to swap it to a more conventional hobby grade setup.

You being new Roma, you don't really have that option without buying everything. Which even if you go the cheap route this will cost you about as much as the car itself. But if it were me, I would do that anyway.

If you are thinking of continuing deeper down the RC rabbit hole and buying more cars, it is worthwhile to start moving more into the hobby grade stuff. WLToys are great cars for the money (I have 3 of them), but the electronics do kinda suck in them.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
He, he thanks WickedFog.

Yea, I'll repair this. I just need to learn something :)

Now is about identify what is actually wrong, to replace right stuff.

The measured voltage is constant at no comand from rc and remains the same when I do any command (back, forward,left,right). This should be like that?

I answered this above already. I'm refering to the black and red wires of the servo go to the servo motor, the other 3 are for the potentiometer inside the servo. The voltage wont really fluctuate much. The amperage would fluctuate if the servo was working.

"Black and red are the power wires for the motor. The other 3 wires are for the potentiometer. The voltage shouldnt fluctuate or at least not much. Unsure if 3.3V is supposed to be the correct amount but its possible. I tried to find specs on 5 wire servos but none of the ones I looked at list voltage or torque ratings. I did find two mentions from users that theirs ran on either 3.5v or 3.7V depending on which of the two references were talking about. So based off that I suppose its possible. 3 Wire servos usually run at twice that voltage or more but its hard to say with a 5 wire servo."

Hmm, no easy solution :)

I'm wondering...

He, he thanks WickedFog.

Yea, I'll repair this. I just need to learn something :)

Now is about identify what is actually wrong, to replace right stuff.
That makes perfect sense. That is why it is nice once you do get a few more vehicles. You can diagnose problems by swapping parts to find the culprit. Your servo and electronics being The 5-wire setup though, you can only do that with similar components.

Can you turn the the front wheels manually to move the servo through its movement? Try that and see if the gears are just stuck as Greywolf said, then see if you get any movement with the transmitter.

Aha, now I understand you.
That makes perfect sense. That is why it is nice once you do get a few more vehicles. You can diagnose problems by swapping parts to find the culprit. Your servo and electronics being The 5-wire setup though, you can only do that with similar components.

Can you turn the the front wheels manually to move the servo through its movement? Try that and see if the gears are just stuck as Greywolf said, then see if you get any movement with the transmitter.
Yes, I tried that already and the servo is moving. But still o movement with transmitter.
Greywolf74 now I understand what you meant :)

Yes, I tried that already and the servo is moving. But still o movement with transmitter.
Well, I am betting the servo is toast. If you are hearing anything at all when you turn the steering that would mean the receiver is sending signal to the servo I would think.

Just know that even though these cars claim to be waterproof, they really aren't. Spash proof slightly, but if they get fairly wet you can run into problems. Especially when you get them wet with much more conductive and corrosive sea water.

sorry dint see it was a 5 wire servo.. no such tester is made for 5 wire. Unless you upgrade all electronics to hobby grade then I have no real fix..maybe the 3.3 volts is ok. clueless here disregard anything I said

sorry dint see it was a 5 wire servo.. no such tester is made for 5 wire. Unless you upgrade all electronics to hobby grade then I have no real fix..maybe the 3.3 volts is ok. clueless here disregard anything I said
Lol man. There is a way to convert the 5 wire system to a 3 wire servo (I think, or maybe the other way around). There are discussions on this, and for what it's worth, there is no way in hell I could be bothered to read through the threads or watch videos to learn how to do it. It is just not worth my time. All my WLToys electronics went straight to the vertical file cabinet.

its a 5 wire to 3 wire. with added board.I dont bother with any toy grade rc ..

its a 5 wire to 3 wire. with added board.I dont bother with any toy grade rc ..
I have them from when my kiddo was 4 and 5. The WLToys stuff is kinda like adding a step between New Bright stuff to Hobby grade. And he still plays with them now at 9 years old. For what I paid for them, they have been exceptional RC's.

Greywolf74 now I understand what you meant :)
Welcome to the mad house.. just go on Amazon.. 5wire seconds they have a bunch for 11$ and replace it.. they also have splitter to go from 5 to 3 wire.. you could pull them apart and solder the wire to make your own set up.. but for about 20-30 you can get a complete electric set up that you have bud...or you can convert it to 3 wire here you go watch this

Damit wrong one sorry as*hat

Here are the ones I was going to send you.. sorry about that other one hit wrong button before its what I found there abunch more just look up that name and model..