Ideas on a good beginner truck?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZAD

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi, I'm looking at getting into nitro rc trucks. I have some clue about rc cars but not a great deal by any means. Father in-law has a electric powered buggy I think its a 'Tmaxx' maybe? I would like to go the nitro route cause I dont feel recharging batteries and seems more realistic. I would be using it in wide open fields with low to 5" grass (parks). Any thoughts to what a good beginner truck would be? And can you run them in colder weather, I'm in CT.

thanks for the advice!

Andrew

The tmaxx 3.3 is a great beginner truck. Also there is the HPI savage which in many peoples opinion is a better quality built rig. Then you have the traxxas Revo which i believe is the best handling rig of all three. All are 4wd and available in nitro and electric.

Revo all the way, I love my revo and is fast but at the same time a mother f'n tank! :D

I know this is not the answer your looking for but a nitro should not be ran under 50 degrees out because the cold air makes the engine run lean and tight which puts a lot of stress on the engine itself. I would personally wait until spring to make your purchase unless you plan on running the new engine and possibly have to buy another. Just my two cents of experience. If you are going to take the plunge I would have to agree that the above trucks are the way to go. A stadium truck is a nice starting point but it might get boring later on so the monster truck route will challenge you later on.

Thanks for the advice guys, was trying to keep it around ~300 ish but that maybe difficult. Also running though the winter seems like it wont be realistic?

Again thanks for the advice.

Andrew

Thanks for the advice guys, was trying to keep it around ~300 ish but that maybe difficult. Also running though the winter seems like it wont be realistic?

Andrew

not true, i live in MN and run both Maxx's in the winter, all you have to do is wrap your cooling head with an old tube sock, to help keep it warm. that said i dont run when it's extremely cold out. also if you keep your rig indoors it helps, also,warm the head with a hair dryer before you try and start it. the type of lid and how many holes you you have in it will also affect the temp. i run a different lid in the winter than i do the rest of the year. my winter lid is fully enclosed (no holes)
good luck with whatever rig you decide on !!! nitro is blast!

Andrew

If you're wanting around $300, look at the Nitro Rustler from Traxxas. They also have the Nitro sport, but I think it would be better to just save the little extra $$ and get the Rustler. They're both 2wd Stadium Trucks and are right at the $300 range. Out of the box they may not handle the taller grass too well BUT stock tires never really last too long any, so once they go you can get some better treads and it'll handle it much better.

---------- Post added at 3:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:49 PM ----------

For around $350, they have the Bullet MT and ST from HPI. I have no experience with either of these trucks, but I've read good things about them and being as they've been out a little longer now, parts are a little easier to get. These will be around the same size as the Rustler/Sport, but they are 4x4 and have a waterproof (resistant) setup. A couple guys on here had one, maybe they could chime in.

I know this is not the answer your looking for but a nitro should not be ran under 50 degrees out because the cold air makes the engine run lean and tight which puts a lot of stress on the engine itself. I would personally wait until spring to make your purchase unless you plan on running the new engine and possibly have to buy another. Just my two cents of experience. If you are going to take the plunge I would have to agree that the above trucks are the way to go. A stadium truck is a nice starting point but it might get boring later on so the monster truck route will challenge you later on.

Buddy, I don’t know whoever told you that but these engines come alive when it gets cold out. The humidity drops and the air density goes up and contains more oxygen per cubic volume. It leans the mix because it’s burning up the fuel so you richen it up and make more power. There’s nothing about cold weather that’s going to hurt a nitro engine. You do have to wait to get it up to operating temp before you hammer it but other than that, it loves it. There’s nothing more fun than getting an inch of snow and get out there with your truck and do doughnuts all over the place. OR… get out your Kyosho nitro blizzard and run it until all the snow in the yard is packed down from it.

Buddy, I don’t know whoever told you that but these engines come alive when it gets cold out. The humidity drops and the air density goes up and contains more oxygen per cubic volume. It leans the mix because it’s burning up the fuel so you richen it up and make more power. There’s nothing about cold weather that’s going to hurt a nitro engine. You do have to wait to get it up to operating temp before you hammer it but other than that, it loves it. There’s nothing more fun than getting an inch of snow and get out there with your truck and do doughnuts all over the place. OR… get out your Kyosho nitro blizzard and run it until all the snow in the yard is packed down from it.

Does this debate happen every winter?

I personally don't do it and stick to electric in winter. You're engine internals contracting and expanding in such an extreme temperture changes is not a good thing. But everyone's opinion is different and it's there money and there decision, so do what you like and have fun with it.

That's why I only run where the temp is around 50 degrees. No salt to deal with, no water to deal with and my rcs last a long time.

Thanks guys for all the comments, I'm going to try and find a good hobby shop in CT this weekend, to get a chance a look at some of these.

thanks again
Andrew

Revo all the way, I love my revo and is fast but at the same time a mother f'n tank! :D

Not near as tough or as fast as a Savage with a big block and a 3 speed. Been there and done that. My revo was slow and puny compared to my Savage that's why mt Revo went bye bye it just couldn't hang.

I would expect a big block with 3 speed to be faster, just put a big block in the revo & change gearing to get some more speed. The revo is a reasonably tuff rig & it don't take much to strengthen it up even more. From everything I have heard, the savage is very tuff but it doesn't handle as good as a revo. Top speed doesn't win on the track.

I would recommend the Revo as a first nitro rig simply because of the parts availability. Add in the handling and that's what sold me on it as my first nitro rig.

Savage has just about as much parts support. Revos do handle better than most other MTs but the savage is considerably tougher out of the box IMO. If you're gonna be just a basher Id go with a Savage but you wont dislike the Revo either.

Go with Savage the extra money you will spend would be worth it. My XL out of the box and broke in jumping 20+ feet off mx/bmx track jumps with no parts breaking plus tear to clean is much easier then traxxas. My dad has a revo and it always seems to be breaking (not even getting as big air as my XL)

You broke your Savage in While doing 20ft jumps? i would hope this was after the break in session.......

LOl I think he meant to say he was doing 20 ft. jumps after breakin. At least i hope that's what he meant. Kinda hard to decipher what he was saying.

I have the revo tmaxx savage ss mgt 8.0 losi lst xxl the mgt is the toughest I will play chicken against any of yours with the mgt it is a beast

Back