I told my wife it's sweetdiesel fault

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMaxxin

SLAP YA MAMA
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have been wanting one for a while, but after seeing the thread from SD I could wait no longer. It's not big but it's all I need...for now anyway. It's a cheap one from Wally World but looks like it will serve it's purpose, 1hp with a 4 gallon tank. It even came with a 25' hose, and a few other small accessories...Not bad for $85.00

aircomp0if.jpg

Good looking compressor for $85.

Are you going to use that for airbrushing?!?

Revo Rancher said:
Are you going to use that for airbrushing?!?

If yes, you'll need to get a filter to block the condensation.
It's a little glass jar that gets mounted between the compressor and the hose.
Good luck with it. 4 gallons is nice.

Great buy there Smaxxin. Like many have said, there is just no substitute for an air compressor. You will find many more uses for it than just cleaning the RCs. For about $10 you can find a cleaning wand which makes a great engine degreaser and general purpose cleaner. And when you run out of things to do with it, pick up an airbrush and the fun starts all over again.

Last edited:
Very kewl purchase man. I just picked up this one used for cheap at the Sears Outlet Center by me in hopes of entering the body contest but I missed the deadline.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00915310000

Now I'm looking for soft, flexible, braided 1/8 hoses, brass quick connects, a moisture filter, an airbrush, some air tools, and all kinds of other "accessories." if you find any good links to some good parts please share. I will do the same.

Have ya fired er up yet? How loud is it? Id like to find a quiet one. (Quiet enough to run in the house (for the airbrush). ) Looks like a pretty good deal for $85! Have fun blowin!!..uh...pumpin..uh.. you know what I mean.. have fun..lol

I would like to find a quiet one too. I thought about putting mine outside someway. Mount it under the porch and "plumb it in" somehow?

Just wondering... Do any of you use the disposable filters on your airbrush?

I haven't fired it up yet, my son was sleeping when we got home and I'm not sure how loud it is. I did fill her up with oil, and install the air filter, so it's ready to go. I will eventually get set up to airbrush, I saw filter the filter you mentioned Ratzo, but the one at Wally looked crappy so I'll have to find one elsewhere. I have been reading through the manual and checking out the accessories that were included. It came with an air chuck, air gauge, the little gun to blow with, a couple of needles for balls, and the fittings to use all of them. It looks like it is very versatile with air pressure being from 10-125 you can use just about anything on it as long as you give it time to keep up. I see an impact gun, paint gun, and an airbrush gun in my future. Nail guns and a brad gun are already on the Christmas list :hehe:

robriguez thats a nice looking set up, I'll keep an eye out for any good deals.

Last edited:
I have the same one Robriguez has, but it's a 2 gallon. An air comressor is not that loud, but it can be loud enough to be annoying. SMaxxin, the 25' hose is a blessing as you will see in the future. We just got mine running again after the regulator broke.

robriguez said:
Now I'm looking for soft, flexible, braided 1/8 hoses, brass quick connects, a moisture filter, an airbrush, some air tools, and all kinds of other "accessories." if you find any good links to some good parts please share. I will do the same.

A great place for accessories.
http://harborfreight.com/

Also get, besdies the moisture trp, another higher quality air pressure gauge/valve. You need smooth and precise pressure for airbrushing.

SpitFireV12RR said:
I have the same one Robriguez has, but it's a 2 gallon. An air comressor is not that loud, but it can be loud enough to be annoying. SMaxxin, the 25' hose is a blessing as you will see in the future. We just got mine running again after the regulator broke.

Oil-less compressors are very loud compared to the oil lubricated compressor Smaxxin just bought. That was one of the main reasons I bought an oil lubed unit, my oil-less pancake compressor would wake my daughter up when it cycled. The only compressor I could see being used inside the house for airbrushing without being annoying are the mini types made specifically for that purpose. I have the model maker cp-101 and it makes about the same amount of noise as a fishtank air pump.

http://www.modelmakerhobby.com/hcar4050.html

Smaxxin, I bought my filter and regulator parts at Home Depot and made it up into tow seperate fittings. I also bought a third, smaller filter and regulator like the one in the link from SweetD. That I used only for airbrushing, (Before I gave up on Airbrushing) and it works great. All pulses are taken out. I just remove whatever fitting I made up for the type of use. Most of the time I leave the large filter on, and add a regulator or the model regulator as needed. Always use a filter when using a nailer or airpowered tool.

Thanks for all of the tips guys, it is appreciated!

I cranked her up today, it's quite but a little too loud to put in the house. Everything works as it should. I gave the Savy a blow job...I think I saw it smile. We have a few books at work that we order parts for our air lines (over 20 miles of air pressure controlled conveyors), I'm going to take a look at those tonight, if I can't find what I'm looking for I'll go to Home Depot.

sweetdiesel said:
Oil-less compressors are very loud compared to the oil lubricated compressor Smaxxin just bought. That was one of the main reasons I bought an oil lubed unit, my oil-less pancake compressor would wake my daughter up when it cycled. The only compressor I could see being used inside the house for airbrushing without being annoying are the mini types made specifically for that purpose. I have the model maker cp-101 and it makes about the same amount of noise as a fishtank air pump.

http://www.modelmakerhobby.com/hcar4050.html

Oh...and I thought mine was loud(It's oil-lubed)!

Smaxxin, make sure you get good line. I have two 50' Goodyear lines that are rated REALLY high, I think it is 250 or even more. Better to be safe than sorry and buying it again later on. I forget what pressure rating, but HD sells some decent rated stuff.

I got a multi-tap block...I'm going to mount it to a 5 gallon tank under my bench w/ a 10 ft hose between the block and tank...mount the water separator and regulator on that and leave the small airbrush hose connected there...then all I need to do is run my airhose to the tank and fill erup when I want to paint...or use the air dremel thing you can get at HB for 12 bucks......all I find for airbrush hose is that plastic stuff that coils.....can you buy the soft kind that come w/ the nicer models?......

Heres at what I'm looking at so far:

Filter/regulator mounted on the compressor somewhere:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=1118

From the filter:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=000383164&I=LXDD46&P=K

In line as a second filter:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=000383164&I=LXDD65&P=K

Is a 5 gallon Tank enough to paint a whole body? Saw an 8 gallon at the mom/pop local hardware store a few days ago for $40. Might be easier to just fill the tank then bring it inside to paint.

Last edited:
Back