i need more traction!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ausher

RCTalk Addict
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
OK so my big block revo pulls hard left/right (can't remember which way) when it gets in its power band at full throttle. The left rear tire is bald. I'm using a thick bearing grease in the diff's. I want both tires to spin equally without a spool in the diff. Kinda like a posi trac when it goes straight both tires spin equally when turning they break free. Is there any way to achieve this? I need something thicker in the rear diff.

Is there another way to control this torque steer?

I had major problems like that with my t maxx with a rb tm523 running the stock talons
All I did was lower it as low as possible and pack the rear diff with as much grease as possible
The talons balloon bad at high speed and really make the truck unstable at high speeds

Traxxas makes a 100k diff fluid. That crap is thicker than honey and does not thin out with heat like grease does. Check Tower for it, I used it on a rear Savage diff with good results.

Plumbers putty or silly putty is the best to achieve what your looking for. I have tried almost all diff oils and none will lock it up as well as the putty.

That's what I use - diff locker putty - E Revo diffs in a Revo LRP .28.

As the name suggests, the locker putty doesn't actually lock the diffs - when warm, it's pliable, yet remains quite thick - does not get pushed out the diff like oil does.

The diff locker putty has helped - I don’t get one wheel spooling up and dramatically ballooning the tyre, however at WOT, it still turns one wheel faster than the other. With an 'open' diff arrangement (as per the Revo diffs), unless you go with a spool, there is no way of avoiding this.

I've tried a spool, it's very hard on the driveline and it tends to spin the car when you accelerate.

I recommend the locker putty - you will still need to cycle your tires to keep the wear even, but you wont get the dramatic difference in wheel speed on acceleration or when traction is nominal.

You need to use a diff lock oil. Maybe 200k, the problem with grease is the gears will eventually cut a path through the grease, leaving very little resistance on the diff.

there is a 500k diff oil too. its more like almost set silicone tho. it doesn't move lol. u have to literally scoop it out of the container and into ur diff :p

What's thicker 500k or diff locker putty? Would silly putty provide lubrication for the gears?

I’ve tried that – TRX 500k oil . . . . silicone oil, no matter how thick, will not be thick enough to offer sufficient resistance to stop a BB sending all the torque through one wheel - this is because the gears in the TRX diffs are so small - only two pinion - there is not enough surface area for the oil to offer sufficient resistance.

Also, it wont be long, and the thick oil will leak from the case (it is still a liquid - the gears will push it out) - as soon as some of the oil is moved and the cups are no longer packed full, they may as well be empty . . . putty for the win . . .

---------- Post added at 12:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

What's thicker 500k or diff locker putty? Would silly putty provide lubrication for the gears?

Even once warm/kneaded by the gears the locker putty is thicker than the 500k oil.

Warm/kneeded locker putty will lubricate the gears (no metal on metal contact).

I'll try the diff putty. I got e revo diff's to assemble and install whenever I get around to it. I didn't want to install them and have to take em back out to change to different types of grease/putty.

Odd, I don't notice that on my revo really when running an LRP28. I have no idea what is in the diffs as I've never taken them apart. They do spin a bit easier than my savage which has 50K in the diffs. But I've never really noticed uneven tire wear or diffing out on take off/high speed runs.

I ordered some diff putty. Should be here tomorrow. Hope it will help.....

What is the difference in the Erevo diffs to the nitro diffs in my truck?

E Revo diffs have the I beam that stiffens the cup and spider pin supports on each side that help prevent the pin from spinning inside the cup.
You can run the ERevo diffs in the nitro Revo. The I beam also takes up more space inside the cup than the standard revo diff does and allows you can use a lighter weight diff oil in the erevo diff compared to the revo diff with similar diff action.

I know this isnt really the right place to ask but are the diffs in the newest 3.3 max the same as the 3.3 revo?

I believe so . . .

E Revo diffs are the way to go.

Mate and I run on high traction surfaces (with BB engines) and kept blowing 3.3 diffs - fitted alloy caps to the 3.3 diffs and stuffed those too . . . fitted e-revo diffs with allow caps and havent lost one yet - seem to be holding together well.

Well trencher x's really do give me a lot more traction, but I'm having clutch/trans/not shifting into second problems so I don't know how it will act when it goes into second....

U sure its not slipping through to second? Mine is doing that ATM, need to tighten slipper clutch

Back