I need help building a track

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omarsez

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I'm building a new track for our new race club and i need layout suggestions.
I need a nice technical but fast 1/10 scale track and a MT Track where they can fly>> I know you guys can help>> Pics or diagrams or sketches would be great.. thanks.

Do you have basic dimensions of available track area? Nobody can give you ideas/sketches/diagrams without knowing the dimensions

Will this be only for 1/10 scale or do you want 1/8 scale capability as well? This makes a difference in width of the lanes and size of features like tabletops, triples, etc.

The lanes need to be no less than 8 foot wide, 10 foot is ideal.
I'd post pics of our local tracks but this computer at work stinks. I'll update later tomorrow when i'm at home.

The lanes need to be no less than 8 foot wide, 10 foot is ideal.
I'd post pics of our local tracks but this computer at work stinks. I'll update later tomorrow when i'm at home.

Whoa. 8-10'? I thought 4-6' would be okay.. but maybe that's just for a personal track where you're not running 10+ cars at once.

We usually run 6-8 cars in a heat. The mains are usually 12 cars.

More info on the track.>>

I've got 6 acres to work with but my idea is to have two tracks.
One for the 1/10 scale stadium trucks.
And another for the 1/8 scale and monster trucks.
later I plan on adding a obstacle course track.

Any suggestions on layouts... sketches,... diagrams,,, anything.
I understand the 10 feet wide lanes at least, any other suggestions..

There is no need to build two seperate tracks. 1/10th can run on the same track just fine.
Trust me, there is TONS of work that go into a track. Tons of dirt, literally.
Then there is the up keep...One good race day will blow it out and you will be resurfacing it. It gets old, people do not always show up to help.
You need a tractor with a scrape blade and front loader. Some kind of packer.
Calcium and rock salt help keep the track together as well.
http://www.outlawrcraceway.com/Photo_Gallery.php

Wow Scrogg that is a nice track. I hate living in Jersey, there isn't a good track here because the land is so expensive. I will build my own SUPER track just as soon as I hit the lotto.:D

LOL thanks, the county leased that facility to us for free! All we have to do is keep it up.
Club memberships and race fees pay the bills. We do not even have to pay for water or electricity! We got lucky as hell!

Cool track scrogg...

I never thought of just having one track.. I will definately consider that. Thank you for the pics. You guys really have a nice track..thanks for the infor rcnt...

how NOT to build a track

I've been working on a track of my own and so far I have absolutely no good information on how to do it. Got lots of what not to do. I used a back ho to rough in the track, turned Iraqi desert into talcum dust and soft mushy hills. then grabbed a gator and used a home made drag with way to deep of teeth and pulled loose every rock that was ever burried underground and brought it to the surface in the middle of the track. I took what was very hard packed mildly rocky but overall smooth surfaces and turned it into a dusty mushy mess....but the track is bigger..lol just can't run it yet. Hind site says I should have just moved dirt to where i wanted dirt, rake the rocks off, water the jumps and call it done and I'd have been a whole lot better off with a lot less time invested. Instead I now have to go and get a bobcat to fine dress the corners and smooth the track, then I have to go get a water truck to waterdown the talc dust and turn into mud so it can dry back to clay. then i'll have to re rake the whole dog gone thing into something remotely driveable again. what i recommend is take a look at the tools you have available, do a short little test strip and see how the dirt you have is going to behave before jumping head long into a whole course and inadvertently create more work for yourself. BTW..JP8 keeps the dust down but also prevents dirt from packing...and not very everionmentally friendly.

sorry to the tree huggers, I had to at least try it, it was a small test spot.

yeah, it's rough trying to get stuff done with the air forces heavy equipment and utility shops just down the road where the dilema of the day is which piece of equipment do I lie about having a license for this time.......I'd a track visible from space if I had enough free time(granted it would be from a high speed spy satelite no one would have access to, but visible just the same) I will be starting a new thread capturing my endeavors on the track i'm working on very soon complete with pictures along the way. Heck, maybe some day i'll have a car of my own actually get here that I be able to reap the rewards of this time sucking venture.

Last edited:
pics now available in my blog

Ok, so i didn't start a new thread.....quite honestly wasn't sure where to do it. So I put everything in my blog. I hope everyone checks out my work in progress and gives some feedback.

Hey Sir,
First, Happy Holidays. Just read your posting about your track building. Glad that I read it before I jumped into the whole thing. I was going to use a bobcat just as you did and just clear a big area and go from there. I know what you mean about turning it to dust. The track that is near the 3-10 hangar here is firmly packed. For the jumps and banks they used sandbags and packed the dirt over them. Seems to have worked. Ofcourse the track is in bad shape now from neglect. So, I'll check out your pics. I've got a good hook up with the Class IV so I'm hoping to put some of this lumber that I have to use. Anyway hoping to be off tomorrow to start the ground breaking. Keep in touch and be safe. My Tmaxx should be here in about a week or so. Still no Nitro Fuel, but I'm working on it. If I do get some I'll for sure let you know as well. Take care, chat soon.

SGT G.

Hey Sir,
First, Happy Holidays. Just read your posting about your track building. Glad that I read it before I jumped into the whole thing. I was going to use a bobcat just as you did and just clear a big area and go from there. I know what you mean about turning it to dust. The track that is near the 3-10 hangar here is firmly packed. For the jumps and banks they used sandbags and packed the dirt over them. Seems to have worked. Ofcourse the track is in bad shape now from neglect. So, I'll check out your pics. I've got a good hook up with the Class IV so I'm hoping to put some of this lumber that I have to use. Anyway hoping to be off tomorrow to start the ground breaking. Keep in touch and be safe. My Tmaxx should be here in about a week or so. Still no Nitro Fuel, but I'm working on it. If I do get some I'll for sure let you know as well. Take care, chat soon.

SGT G.

i got a bobcat today and it did an awesome job grading and burying or removing rocks...it is also the perfect weight to pack jumps and berms (so long as you don't tip it over) I have some pics on my blog, If you check it out, please post a comment so i know it is showing like I hope it does. .... I also found out that a track not need be as pristine for a revo as it does for my buddy's brushless bandit to easily get around the course. My tires are twice the diameter of his buggy tires and deal with a rougher course than his. I found this out after spending hours playing with the bandit and making the track to suit that car. I now drive his car on that track better than I do my own but mine's the one that tracks and corners better. His was like trying to drive a squirrel but I got used to it. I suspect once I get done with break in and get fuel supply figured out, I should be kicking his ass on the track in no time. Paved road and long straights will be a different story, that sucker is fast! i'll try to post vids in my blog.

Back