I made a cool thing, would like some input

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaGameFace

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So I have long loved tanks, had been drawn to them since childhood, I got into the WoT beta in middleschool and loved it. In highschool I learned 3D design and built a 3D printer, now I have this:
9bx9otL.png

This is a 1ft wide functional mockup. It has over 5hp of brushless motors and can go about 30mph in its current form, limited by the strength of my 3d printed track. I am currently in the process of sourcing parts for a more finalized version, which would use rubber track. be much faster, and much lighter.
IzzzGcy.png

Here is a peak at what that may look like.

Think I'm wasting my time? because I kinda think that if i were to try to sell these there would be enough people who would say "Shut up and take my money" to make this worth my while. It would not be cheap though, at least not the first version, I am trying to hit about a $500 cost of materials and about double that for sale price.

Thought id just throw this out there and see what people think, I know one things for sure, everyone who sees it in person thinks its ridiculously cool

@DaGameFace that's pretty dang cool. I'm assuming all of the parts, minus electronics of course, are all 3D printed?

What 3D printer are you using to print all this?

@DaGameFace that's pretty dang cool. I'm assuming all of the parts, minus electronics of course, are all 3D printed?

What 3D printer are you using to print all this?
custom built prusa clone, and yup, everything plastic is 3D printed, a bunch of bearings and other hardware hiding in there too though, and the plank of wood wont be staying much longer

PETG plastic too, really durable, I can't even break one of the yellow suspension arms if I wanted to, not with my bare hands anyway

That's pretty cool! What are the little shocks from? 1' wide? How long is it?

the ones with blue on them are just some cheap ones i found on ebay, 70mm center to center max length and too small, actually upgraded them with stiffer springs since that photo was taken and i think 1/10th scale shocks with even bigger and stiffer springs on the middle arms,

its a bit less than 16 inches long

Tracked vehicles were never "my thing", but very impressive work there!

My $0.02 which you probably don't want to hear but I'll share it:

Many RC hobbyists draw the line around the $500 price point. With the exception of the small sub-set of large scale guys.

As an alternative if you found a way to gear it down to 15mph and could ride on it people do fork out big money for fun transportation like motorized skateboards, scooters, and bikes.

Tracked vehicles were never "my thing", but very impressive work there!

My $0.02 which you probably don't want to hear but I'll share it:

Many RC hobbyists draw the line around the $500 price point.

As an alternative if you found a way to gear it down to 15mph and could ride on it people do fork out big money for fun transportation like motorized skateboards, scooters, and bikes.

Thank you for the reply, all input is very helpful

I do realize that asking for $1000 would scare the vast majority of people away, with that being said, now that I am closer to done sourcing components I am looking at just under $500 BOM cost before tax, shipping, labor and machine time. The kit/preassembled vehicle would have over 5hp and should easily be able to hit the 55mph goal in addition to having 8000mah hours of graphene 4s battery, comes with a good enough remote control and am thinking around the $850-$900 mark for the first release. I dont think thats too insane either, while the price may be in competition with the 100mph traxxas I think the cool and fun factor would put it on another level

Also there is a community of people who love tanks so much there are $8k rc replicas https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Gen...electric-remote-control-tank/32802024049.html
not to mention the half million dollar ripsaw ev3

Last edited:
Back