I know this time would come. It is sad to see local hobby shop struggle and close down. :(

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
Just got some news that my local hobby shop is closing down. Owner can't keep up with rent and can't get enough people to come out and race. They haven't done any racing for the past 3 weeks. I heard something about moving locations but I don't think it is happening with all that is happing right now in the world. Next shop in my area is 20 mins away but the next shop with track is a hour away. I did get most of my parts there at the shop. Spent 135 dollars there last month. Well with that I might get more into speed runs. Or what @Addict Rc is doing durability tests.

Just got some news that my local hobby shop is closing down. Owner can't keep up with rent and can't get enough people to come out and race. They haven't done any racing for the past 3 weeks. I heard something about moving locations but I don't think it is happening with all that is happing right now in the world. Next shop in my area is 20 mins away but the next shop with track is a hour away. I did get most of my parts there at the shop. Spent 135 dollars there last month. Well with that I might get more into speed runs. Or what @Addict Rc is doing durability tests.

I cannot stress enough how important it is for people to support their local shops, especially independents.

So many people just immediately go online and order something they could have picked up locally, sometimes for a few $ more but it's about the relationships you build. If you want to find the best local bash and crawl spots getting in good with the local shop is the best thing people can do.

I cannot stress enough how important it is for people to support their local shops, especially independents.

So many people just immediately go online and order something they could have picked up locally, sometimes for a few $ more but it's about the relationships you build. If you want to find the best local bash and crawl spots getting in good with the local shop is the best thing people can do.
I agree with this 100%. I wish I had a LHS that was worth supporting. The one closest to me employs a bunch of condescending know it all twat bags that just give me attitude every time I go in there. Nevermind that I've spent thousands there in the last year or so. The only reason I go there now is if I break something and know they have it in stock. Otherwise, I'd prefer to wait on the UPS guy. Its a shame as I would rather spend my $$ locally.

Last edited:
That's a bummer. A lot of mom and pop's stores have had to shut down because of the covid BS. I hate it.
I have to travel out of town to a hobby shop. Our closest one is 16 miles from us but I don't shop there at all unless there is something I need yesterday.
We have to drive to Meridian or Boise which a hour and 20 minutes from us.
I prefer to order online.

The owner posted on the FB group that they are going to be open till the end of September. Going to try to get there on the 24th. They also posted they are going to be racing on the 24th also. And most parts will be at lowered prices. Next time I go I'm just going to bring a backpack and the mini b. Normally I would bring 2 cars (usually the mini b and slash) and my whole hauler and pit mat) After they close I might take a little break because of school. After my little break I'm going to check out the next shop and track in the area. Its called "The Track" in Gaithersburg MD. Might get more into dirt/clay.

I have a Hobby Haven that's close by work, I go there as much as I can. The next closest shop is a 45 minute drive.
There used to be a lot of them around, not many tracks to run at and none that are relatively close. My in-laws live on 10 acres and he has a bobcat and mini backhoe, if I had more time I'd build a track on their land.

I have a Hobby Haven that's close by work, I go there as much as I can. The next closest shop is a 45 minute drive.
There used to be a lot of them around, not many tracks to run at and none that are relatively close. My in-laws live on 10 acres and he has a bobcat and mini backhoe, if I had more time I'd build a track on their land.
That would be cool fo sho!

I would like to build a track in my backyard but I don't think my mom and grandma would let me :|
I would also have to get rid of the parking pad and strips.

2 tracks had gone, in a year.
Really wonder how it will be like 10 years from now, a couple to possibly no tracks.
1 track in MD, well 3, but one is outdoor 1/8 private track, and a dirt track in Berlin but has been closed for the last season.
So now you need to drive 1, to like 3 hours to actually drive and race on one.
RC Hobby is dying day by day.

2 tracks had gone, in a year.
Really wonder how it will be like 10 years from now, a couple to possibly no tracks.
1 track in MD, well 3, but one is outdoor 1/8 private track, and a dirt track in Berlin but has been closed for the last season.
So now you need to drive 1, to like 3 hours to actually drive and race on one.
RC Hobby is dying day by day.
Times are a changing. They've always had, and always will.
Movie theaters, malls, and many retail brick and mortars are dying, too.
I don't believe the rc hobby is dying out, it's just organized racing will be in very short supply.

Times are definitely changing and unfortunately shops are closing.
Our small town is the worst for business. Everybody goes to Oregon because there is no sales tax.
It's tough for small businesses to stay afloat when people don't shop here.

Yea we were basically a non profit because it was just tracks. We started a little hobby shop because the owner got permission to do so, but it was mostly mini z stuff and no one bought from them. And it was a little small area of the track space we had the shop in. People were also getting memberships at the track which depending what plan you got it was 85 to 150 bucks. Bad timing. Hopefully we can send it off with a bang with a last day race. My bday is that weekend before so.maybe have my birthday party there. Lol. It would be a sad party tho.

The brick and mortar shops cannot compete with the online shops with their much lower overhead costs.
We are seeing that in all aspects of retail, not just hobby shops.
I try to shop locally as much as possible for the hobby stuff (from parts to rigs) - here its all smaller mom&pop shops.
We want the local hobby shop to stock all the parts we may break, so we can be up and running fast.
Hard for them to outlay that capital if sales are dropping.
If they are not around, our rigs will be stuck on the bench waiting for UPS or FedEx to deliver.

Back