I got a 'New' Savage for under $400 + Extras

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wanabedriver

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I finally got back into R/C after being out of it for a while, only after I stumbled across a deal (more of steal): a Savage 25 rolling chassis for $150. But that's not all, here's a list of what it came with:

Airtrinoics MX-3 TX
Novak Magnum RX
Hitec 645mg servo
4 spyder gear diffs (or so he claimed; I haven't gotten around to checking).
Dual disk brakes
Ofna linkage
Integy wheelie bar
Proline Road Rage tires on Mambo rims
GPM center skid

Also with misc tools such as a glow ignitor, RX battery pack with charger, temp gun, and 'hobby grade' allen wrenches.

When I recieved it, it was fairly clean; claimed to have been run only 4 times. I tore most of it apart, replaced some screws, cleaned it up, and bolted it back together.

I later went to my LHS and Home Depot to pick up supplies, totalling around $100:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v376/the_nakamoto/040906shopping.jpg

I also picked up a F4.1 off ebay for $134 with shipping.
IMG_4508Medium.jpg

After lot's of blister-forming pulls on the pullstart, I was able to break in one solid tank on Saturday, several weeks after recieving the truck:
IMG_4513Medium.jpg

Then today, I went to a local school parking lot to do tanks 2 and 3 of break in running. I did manage to have a 'run away' when I managed to hit a button on my MX-3 that changed model memory to a different setting... Hope my engine didn't get damaged. :eek:pps: Luckily, nothing broke.

So far, this is probably the best investment in R/C I made, after seeing my E-Maxx 'money pit' go to ruins. Happy Easter all.

wanabedriver :fro:

Welcome back to the hobby.
Looks like you got a nice deal, and a cool ride.
Welcome back and good luck.

Welcome Back...Now go rip that thing up. btw nice truck.

mrwill said:
I am so jelous, I want a savage to bash

I love savages so much I have two...... Nice truck to come back to the hobby with. I started out with a savage 21, then didn't stop.

wanabedriver said:
So far, this is probably the best investment in R/C I made, :

Your next best investment will be a failsafe.
If you had one, the runaway would have never happened.
Best $20 you'll ever spend.

So far, I have:

1. Possibly broken in the engine lean. I routed my new fuel lines where the previous owner had, through the exisiting zipties. Long story short, I think I was pinching the tube.

2. Brakes are causing a headache. First I thought oil was causing troubles, but I've come to the conclusion that the HPI dual brake system is just fading really bad durring the run. Plan on upgrading to carbon fiber rotors.

3. Stripped a spur. It's so hard to see the mesh! I never stripped one in my RC10T or E-Maxx.

My LHS is going to be happy.

Get a fail safe while your at it.

I want to get the Venom one, because it has the mechanical adjustment. Unfortunatly, all the fail safes at my LHS have the ones you need to set electronically... They also have the Venom failsafe + temp monitor, but I am iffy if I want to pay for something I already (sort of) have (temp gun).

So call me stupid or brave, I'm just gonna wait till I can find one on ebay or get a large enough order from towerhobbies. At least I'm using a MX-3, and not the stock AM...

wanabedriver said:
So call me stupid or brave, At least I'm using a MX-3, and not the stock AM...

No offence, but I wouldn't call it brave.

I won't run my trucks without it.

A couple of years ago, my Savage took off on it's own, ran across a huge field, hit a cement pole base, flipped over and screamed WOT till the engine popped.

The total damage on the truck was more than the purchase of a new one.
Of course I had to upgrade everything.
I never had a runaway again with the fail safe.

i agree with ratzo, but i think the truck itself is almost secondary ...in todays sue happy world i dont want to worry about it having a run away & damaging property or worse hitting someone

Apparently, I won't be running it for a couple weeks because of prior engagements (and cannot run on weekdays, because I get home after dark), making it a perfect time to send out an order to Towerhobbies. Definatly will be picking up the Venom failsafe along with other parts.

Also, I have a couple questions:
1. How is carbon fiber's thermal properties reguarding heat displacment? Better than stainless steel (I hope)? How about aluminum?

2. How many brake hex sizes are there? If I were to pick up this rotor, would it fit on my HPI dual disk brake hex without modification?

3. Could I run the carbon fiber rotor without the brake caliper pads and get decent performance? Will running pads actually be too 'sticky' for carbon fiber disks?

Thanks guys.

Way to go wanabedriver. ONE tiny suggestion. Make sure when you recieve your failsafe you progam it to apply full brakes and not full throttle. Heard some nasty stories due to that nasty little mistake. Also you have got yourself a nice truck.

2. How many brake hex sizes are there? If I were to pick up this rotor, would it fit on my HPI dual disk brake hex without modification?

I'm 99% sure you can't use the dual brake hub with that disk. You have to use a stock sized single brake hub. However, you can buy after market aluminum hub covers so you don't have to use plastic. But then you also need to get a stock axle cup.

I didn't care for the dual brake kit either... It would bind up too often.

pick up the crazy nut brakes if you only want to buy brakes once. I haven't run a failsafe in over a year and don't have any problems. I tried 3 types and all 3 created glitches. If i want another one, i'll pick up a 2.4ghz radio with one built in.

as for your brakes I would just try changing out the disk first. I found when I upgraded my engine I lost almost all my braking. After some digging I found that it just so happens around the same time my brake disk had worn out. Once I changed my disk I could stop on a dime again. Only way i could tell it was the disk was that it was thinner than a brand new one. It still looked exactly the same as it always did.

Last edited:
lol olds, the post is a year old..your timely response make me think you work for the cable company? j/k :)

How in the heck did that happen! I always just do the search for posts made today or new posts since I last visited...

Weird.

you picked that up for $400? my best friend picked up a brand new Savage X SS from Horizon hobby for $300

looks like the truck is come'n along though!

you picked that up for $400? my best friend picked up a brand new Savage X SS from Horizon hobby for $300

looks like the truck is come'n along though!

I think this thread was started before the X came out, or shortly thereafter... I made the mistake of resurrecting it!

Back