I dyed an axial ryft cage today

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ferrebee88

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
First time ever dying anything. I'm glad the kit came with this option. I used my wife's turkey roaster and it worked pretty well yo keep the water/dye mix hot. The green turned out a bit lighter than I would have liked, but I'll take it. Next time I'll add a little bit of black dye. My goal is a dark green cage with metallic orange panels backed with black paint.
20230507_165407.jpg
20230507_165417.jpg
20230507_170400.jpg
20230507_175754.jpg
20230507_203340.jpg

Peacock green? What? LOL. That's olive drab in my eyes. Sweet!!
I was actually looking at the Axial kit today. I'm so tempted for another go at a RC made for doing stuff over rocks.

Peacock green? What? LOL. That's olive drab in my eyes. Sweet!!
I was actually looking at the Axial kit today. I'm so tempted for another go at a RC made for doing stuff over rocks.
A darker olive drab is what I was going for and the peacock green was the closest looking to that. I was told the dyemore was better, but there is less colors to choose from.

Any residuals left behind in the slow cooker? I've been wanting to do this to a few parts but I'm worried that it'll stain whatever I end up using to heat it up.

Any residuals left behind in the slow cooker? I've been wanting to do this to a few parts but I'm worried that it'll stain whatever I end up using to heat it up.
Any enamel or stainless pot will be just fine. If you have anything with a coating, it may dye it. Ask me how I know 🤪

But the regular dye is non-toxic. So you could dye scrambled eggs with it and eat it. I just had some scarlet red rice the other day lol 😉

Not sure about the dye more line though. It says eye irritant on the bottle.

From Rit:
Rit is not a food-grade dye so we do not suggest using a container that is also used for food. However, if you must reuse the container for cooking, it is recommended to clean the container with chlorine bleach or a powdered cleanser after dyeing.

Last edited:
like any dollar store wont have disposable aluminum roasting items.
oh ita a $1.25 now

Please tell me you are never going to eat food from that ever again?
Sure am, but not until Thanksgiving. I cleaned it out as per directions, so we good.

Eh, you do you, but I'd have bought a disposable pan like mentioned above.
It comes right out of the container with a little bleach. Heck, most people if they saw the pans they cook with in most restaurants, they'd steer clear.

No re-dying?
Okay, I have to warn you... I'm not looking at this thread again, 'cause I'll be hitting a "Buy It Now" button on an online hobby store. :oops::doh:😆:cool:
You need to do a build thread on that thing, but I won't be following it... ;) ;)

The build thread is coming soon. I have most of it together, but I am having difficulties with the shift servo setup... complete garbage.

The build thread is coming soon. I have most of it together, but I am having difficulties with the shift servo setup... complete garbage.
What servo are you using? I used a Hitec servo and designed a 3d printed lower servo saver part to fit on the servo gear. Works great.
20220312_120033.jpg

20220312_120046.jpg

I tried out a power HD micro servo with Yeah racing servo saver insert. I can't get it to shift right...either I got a bad servo or something is binding.

Last edited:
I tried out a power HD micro servo with Yeah racing servo saver insert. I can't get it to shift right...either I got a bad servo or something is binding.
Question. When you installed the shift fork, did you orientate it correctly? There is a counterbore on one side that the shift arm screws into. If you install it wrong, the trans will go together, but it will not shift. This counterbore in the shift fork is not shown in the instruction manual, so it is very easy to miss it.

Last edited:
Back