I didn't realize RC racing was EXACTLY like real car racing!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

True Newb

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Flying
Tonight will be my 1st RC race. (weather permitting) I have come to realize that this is EXACTLY like racing real cars!! How is that? Well ... my LiPo batteries may or MAY NOT be here in time. The seller conveniently waited 3 days to ship them THEN they get stuck on a truck in some nasty weather slowing the delivery even more. Backup plan initiated to run the original NiMH battery!! (SOB!!) My car is at a LHS where the owner also races at the track I'm going to and I was SUPPOSE to pick up the car on Saturday. Saturday morning I see a post on FB stating that he is closed that day!! GREAT!! (shop is normally closed Sun and Mon) I get to pick up the car TODAY with no time to really mess with it and see how the "tweaks" will affect the car!! Backup plan initiated again ... setup a second Slash that I can throw the body on and have fun. This is EXACTLY what it's like racing REAL cars! Parts ordered ... delays .... send something for a few "tweaks" and .... delays. I haven't had this much fun since I raced REAL cars!! OMG!! So ... do tell ... how many of you have become "Hair Club For Men" members because of this "hobby"??? :banana::celebrate:

I live close to wright patterson air force base so ground kits arent really a thing around here. Everyone around here is in to planes and helis. So while I can find buku places to fly the closest track is around an hour away.

rc racing is nothing like real car racing.. sure you can run into jams being ill prepared or trying last minute upgrades..so where's your pit crew? dont have 1 its all you.. oh and no sharing paint in rc racing unlike real racing...with a nimh a few things you should know. best performance is when a battery is fresh off the charger as it will start to self discharge shortly after full charged..best to do a few charges and discharges b4 using a Nixx of any kind..ill toss this out being your 1st race you will be lucky to finish any race... track time is a must....practice practice and more..no cursing on the drivers stand and no yelling at marshals. drive around a crash not thru it. slower is faster (keep in mind)

I think it's just as much compared to real racing but not exactly the same as far as how everything works technology-wise.

rc racing is nothing like real car racing.. sure you can run into jams being ill prepared or trying last minute upgrades..so where's your pit crew? dont have 1 its all you.. oh and no sharing paint in rc racing unlike real racing...with a nimh a few things you should know. best performance is when a battery is fresh off the charger as it will start to self discharge shortly after full charged..best to do a few charges and discharges b4 using a Nixx of any kind..ill toss this out being your 1st race you will be lucky to finish any race... track time is a must....practice practice and more..no cursing on the drivers stand and no yelling at marshals. drive around a crash not thru it. slower is faster (keep in mind)
can't' really swap paint. My paint is on the inside of the body and they all have wraps. LOL I did use LiPo as they did indeed arrive 2 hours before I had to leave. :) Solder the Deans connector on the car and all was good. Got lucky there. I had a pit crew. (Usually I'm the one in the crew) My Daughter and all of those there willing to lend a hand. ;) You didn't say anything about making the other drivers laugh!! Why would someone yell at the marshalls? It's about having fun. Good advice there on the batteries. Thank you. Oh ..... I am in the 12T Mudboss B Main which will be held next week. Double mains!! Woo Hoo!! I honestly don't care where I finish, but to even finish my first race was indeed a confidence booster. I had the same pretty realistic thought as you, which is why the car number is .001. I figured it was the percentage of any chance I had of the car coming back in one piece. 🤣🤣

FT Modified.jpg

can't' really swap paint. My paint is on the inside of the body and they all have wraps. LOL I did use LiPo as they did indeed arrive 2 hours before I had to leave. :) Solder the Deans connector on the car and all was good. Got lucky there. I had a pit crew. (Usually I'm the one in the crew) My Daughter and all of those there willing to lend a hand. ;) You didn't say anything about making the other drivers laugh!! Why would someone yell at the marshalls? It's about having fun. Good advice there on the batteries. Thank you. Oh ..... I am in the 12T Mudboss B Main which will be held next week. Double mains!! Woo Hoo!! I honestly don't care where I finish, but to even finish my first race was indeed a confidence booster. I had the same pretty realistic thought as you, which is why the car number is .001. I figured it was the percentage of any chance I had of the car coming back in one piece. 🤣🤣

View attachment 129916
As long as you're having fun, thats all that matters :)

I would highly recommend getting some track time in to learn the car and make some adjustments before competing in a race with others.

I would highly recommend getting some track time in to learn the car and make some adjustments before competing in a race with others.

I wish I could get track time but there are no tracks around that have open practice except the hour or so before the race. Had my second full race Tuesday and actually won the second qualifier with 27 laps in 3 minutes with a best lap of 6.102 seconds and 92% consistency. Second place had 23 laps. I made a toe adjustment to the left front thinking more like how I setup real modified cars and low and behold, there it was. That car is now damn near driving itself through the corners at a much higher rate of speed. I also changed the gearing from 16/90 to 20/86. That alone took away alot of spinning as it's more towards top end on a small track where I will never get to full throttle. ;) I'm learning.

I finished 6th in the A main. The A main has 8 cars and on that track, there tends to be some crashes and mishaps which I tried to avoid but I managed to get caught up in a couple. Then there is the "accidental" love tap that sent me spinning or off the track when I was running alongside the 3rd place finisher. I see alittle roughness in this novice class but I don't give one turd!! It's fun and eventually I won't be anywhere near 3rd until I lap them!! ;) Oh ... and a few other racers there have suggested I move into the Sportsman Class which is the same car, just more experienced racers. I'm not sold on that idea yet. Then there is this that I mocked up today. Paint to come soon.

crate late 2.jpg

Last edited:
Back