I bought a Revo gremlin!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well…..Put in the new optidrive from Traxxas and she took off across the yard across the road and barreled thru the neighbors yard all by her possessed self. So she’s in back in a box on her way to Texas…again. Grrrr!!

My man. That was handled like a gentleman.

I’m thinking it’s a complete rebuild or swap out. It just about has to be.

Have heard nothing but bad things about that optidrive system.
I changed it out. I’m convinced it’s the tx/rx. It loses link. If it was solely optidrive I would have had steering. That being said the optidrive supposed to be a failsafe and brake when connection is lost. Not run off like a bat outta hell. So we’ll see if Traxxas can figure it out.

I changed it out. I’m convinced it’s the tx/rx. It loses link. If it was solely optidrive I would have had steering. That being said the optidrive supposed to be a failsafe and brake when connection is lost. Not run off like a bat outta hell. So we’ll see if Traxxas can figure it out.
It actually goes to neutral not brake. The problem with the opti-drive is that it also monitors battery voltage. Plus for some reason the opti-drive needs to be calibrated like you would an ESC. Did you calibrate the new one when you installed? If the receiver battery was unplugged the throttle and steering would freeze in their position just like you describe. I think between voltage sag and having two different fail-safes at the same time confuses something.

I know that without opti-drive my Traxxas radio has a failsafe that returns the throttle to the neutral position. I can test easily by turning the transmitter off. You could do the same right on a table or bench. You don't need to start the engine at all. Give it throttle, turn the wheel and turn off controller. Watch what happens each time. You could do it repeatedly over and over to test the failsafe.

When you get it back you can test the same way with the opti-drive installed. I hope you have better luck with the opti-drive than I and others had.

It actually goes to neutral not brake. The problem with the opti-drive is that it also monitors battery voltage. Plus for some reason the opti-drive needs to be calibrated like you would an ESC. Did you calibrate the new one when you installed? If the receiver battery was unplugged the throttle and steering would freeze in their position just like you describe. I think between voltage sag and having two different fail-safes at the same time confuses something.

I know that without opti-drive my Traxxas radio has a failsafe that returns the throttle to the neutral position. I can test easily by turning the transmitter off. You could do the same right on a table or bench. You don't need to start the engine at all. Give it throttle, turn the wheel and turn off controller. Watch what happens each time. You could do it repeatedly over and over to test the failsafe.

When you get it back you can test the same way with the opti-drive installed. I hope you have better luck with the opti-drive than I and others had.
I did the calibration per the instructions. Will definitely use that advise and try your suggestions. Thank you all. You guys are a wealth of knowledge. Unfortunately I’ll be out of town for a while so that will have to wait till I get back. I’m taking the savage to the desert so will still have a little fun while away. 😁 Plus still planning on picking up a deadbolt for the hotel room. I believe I’ll be able to scratch my itch whilst making more money to feed the addiction. Makes me feel like a kid again.

Back from Traxxas with the “worked fine for us” so before I drive it again and it runs away, it’s getting this put in and the opti pulled out!! And might as well put this os carb on it because why not. 🤣

image.jpg

Last edited:
Holy crap this car is now awesome. Can’t keep the front wheels down and it’s not fully tuned yet! Thanks everyone for all the help and great ideas.
Those OS carbs wake it up doesn’t it? 😀

Those OS carbs wake it up doesn’t it? 😀
Daylight and dark difference. I can’t image what it’s gonna be when I finally get it tuned. And the forward only conversion seems to give it a little extra as well.

Daylight and dark difference. I can’t image what it’s gonna be when I finally get it tuned. And the forward only conversion seems to give it a little extra as well.
Yep. It’s a process indeed. FO conversion is a must in my opinion. I fought with the reverse in my 2.5 for a while. Took it out and decided no Traxxas nitro I ever own will have a reverse. So, I’ve done them all since then. It increases reliability too.