Hyper 7 running too rich?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about engine temps in the cold? Its like 25 degrees here so should my idle temps still be like 170. Do I still adjust to to get it to run at around 240.

with outside temps like that tune for more like 190-210

Do you mean run between 190-210 or idle between 190-210

run. idle will be a little lower.

I quit for the night yesterday at my last post. Now it is raining today so I can't finish this break-in.

Anyhow, Sgt Blamo brings up something that I forgot about, the pinch test. When it was first breaking in pinching the fuel tube right next to the carb to shut it down took about 20 seconds. After you guys helped me, and it was starting to run better, it is about 10 seconds right now. So, when I can run again, I will lean the LSN a scooch and then tune the rest with HSN due to the fact that the temps are low and tons of fuel is still exiting the pipe.

Rolex, sound about right? And to keep you updated, my idle temps at the last adjustment where I was getting good throttle response in allr anges and a good crackle at WOT was 130 at idle and 180 in da' hole while running. Looks like too much fuel based upon these low temps, right?

I have extremely low temps even after a couple of laps I don't know if its because I am rich or because its so cold

I didn't mention the pinch test, since it's not something you refer to during the break in. When it's fully broken in, and tuned for performance, you want about 3-4 seconds. You'll be getting more now, since your settings have to stay on the rich side.
Revo, if it's still a nice temperature where you live, you're still running too cool for proper heat cycling.
Try leaning both needles 1/16th. First, just the LSN. Make an idle temp check again, then do a few WOT runs before leaning the HSN. You need good temps for proper break in.

fyi, rolex, i go for 4-5 seconds on big blocks for the pinch test. 3-4 and the car loses bottom end because its too lean.

Well, it stopped raining and it is 77 right now, but messing with it yesterday and the day before got me behind at work (I work at home), so I do not think I will get to it today. At least it is now taking the gas and not bogging mid-range, so we are on the right track. I will use temps as a guide so that the proper heat cycle happens. Thanks for the info on the pinch test. Makes sense you do not want it to shut off in 3-4-5 seconds while breaking in as that means you are way too lean for a break-in.

I wanted to thank everyone one this thread. I have a newly broken in Hyper 8 port in my Swift and tuning it was just "difficult" to say the least. I followed the advice here and now it screams. Temp doesn't get about 240.

CorradoPsi said:
fyi, rolex, i go for 4-5 seconds on big blocks for the pinch test. 3-4 and the car loses bottom end because its too lean.
Sorry, that sounds about right. It's hard for me to get all those 2.5s out of my mind. Thanks for catching that.

no problem, thats why we're here. right?