Hyper 21 help!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadsmalls

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve had this hyper 7 tq in storage for quite a while as it needed a new piston sleeve and rod so after 2 years I decided to finally buy the parts and today I stripped it all and put it back together but I believe I might have messed up a step so as I pull the cord the whole clutch turns which in turn turns the wheels so I cannot realistically pull the cord to start it without having it on a stand I’m not sure why this is happening

Also I’m unsure which glow plugs I should be using for this engine any help much appreciated thank you

I’ve had this hyper 7 tq in storage for quite a while as it needed a new piston sleeve and rod so after 2 years I decided to finally buy the parts and today I stripped it all and put it back together but I believe I might have messed up a step so as I pull the cord the whole clutch turns which in turn turns the wheels so I cannot realistically pull the cord to start it without having it on a stand I’m not sure why this is happening

Also I’m unsure which glow plugs I should be using for this engine any help much appreciated thank you
Remove rhe clutch bell and snap a pic for us. Your clutch is engaged

8F131471-27E9-43A4-8331-C50AA5D2175C.jpeg

Every time I tighten that screw on the clutch bell the whole thing engages and I’m unsure what I’m doing wrong because if I leave it loose it just shoots out and will ruin the teeth

Attachments

• 2417FA3C-D71B-4C2F-9017-EC9B19424EC1.jpeg
    2417FA3C-D71B-4C2F-9017-EC9B19424EC1.jpeg
    268.5 KB · Views: 45
View attachment 140253
Every time I tighten that screw on the clutch bell the whole thing engages and I’m unsure what I’m doing wrong because if I leave it loose it just shoots out and will ruin the teeth
so you tighten the clutch bell screw - what happens: 1. can you turn the clutch bell freely without resistance? 2. is the clutch bell stuck?

Last edited:
It’s stuck it’s turns with the engine basically

oh i didn't see the 2nd picture but is that a black washer that goes behind the first bearing(bearing from the clutch bell) ? if so, take that washer off, put the bell on, put the washer on, put the screw in.. fixed?

oh i didn't see the 2nd picture but is that a black washer that goes behind the first bearing(bearing from the clutch bell) ? if so, take that washer off, put the bell on, put the washer on, put the screw in.. fixed?
I feel so dumb 😅😅I followed the manual and by pictures it had a washer I’ve removed it like you said and now I can tighten it and it moves freely
I believe now is time to look for tuning because I’ve got no manual for the engine

I feel so dumb 😅😅I followed the manual and by pictures it had a washer I’ve removed it like you said and now I can tighten it and it moves freely
I believe now is time to look for tuning because I’ve got no manual for the engine
haha i think we have all been there at some point:thumbs-up:
The exploded engine view from the manual actually shows it had more washers to begin with, so you aren't wrong technically.

Any chance you would know what the needle settings are? As I can’t find them anywhere

Any chance you would know what the needle settings are? As I can’t find them anywhere
This highly depends on what engine you have ..
if its still the stock Hyper 7 TQ engine, you might have 1 of 3 versions ..
1. Hyper 21 3-port sleeve
2. Hyper 21 4-port sleeve
3. Hyper 28 6-port sleeve

if you can tell me how many ports you have, we know what engine it possible is.
reminder: With port counting, exclude(don't count) the exhaust port.

so your needle factory settings should be:

Low speed: flush with the body/surrounding

Mid(gold screw): flush with body/surrounding

high speed(brass tube with black screw): between 0 and 1mm inside the tube. there is a small ledge inside the tube, try setting it flush with the ledge.
if you set it flush with the brass tube it could be too rich.
let me know if it still runs or not haha I'm kinda interested now lol
so your needle factory settings should be:

Low speed: flush with the body/surrounding

Mid(gold screw): flush with body/surrounding

high speed(brass tube with black screw): between 0 and 1mm inside the tube. there is a small ledge inside the tube, try setting it flush with the ledge.
if you set it flush with the brass tube it could be too rich.
let me know if it still runs or not haha I'm kinda interested now lol
setting i forgot: your idle gap factory setting should be between 0.7 and 1mm*

Last edited:
So I’ve just adjusted everything gave it a pull and it fired up straight away but it’s reving very high not sure is that the lsn?

Proper shimming , figuring out clutch nut / shaft, flywheel to lineup on a project chassis Right, and checking tolerances is my main nitro related past time lol.

I literally offered a crankshaft cutting service on a nitro group i made because most posts for tech support were. How do i put this motor in this truck the bell doesn't line up with the spur, or how to properly convert to bump start, and such

dont turn on the controller yet.
make sure you start the engine with the wheels off (removed from the car) or that you have the car on some kind of car stand so it can't drive away.
does it idle high with the carb closed? meaing: carb in idle position with roughly 1mm opening?

I'm asking because you just set everything to factory settings. and the only possible cause is the idle gap at this moment..
If the idle gap is bigger then 1mm its going to rev up..

EDIT: you can start the engine without an air filter to check if the idle gap isn't opening on its own or if its too big. make sure you put the filter back on after.

All sorted now the idle gap was way off but I’ve just adjusted it runs like a dream looks like a lot of fun to come tonight thank you for everyone who has helped and offered all their wisdom

Tech support nitro models over phone for years. I miss that and being paid lol

Tech support nitro models over phone for years. I miss that and being paid lol
its all common knowledge up for grabs on the interwebs or if you are an experienced nitro head you just know things :)
if rc heads lack the instruments to do proper research or lack the lust to do it, only then i can imagine a nitro hotline being the last resort paid method for help hahaha

and again this common knowledge can be gained by anyone if they put the effort and time in it hahaha, its just a matter of are you going to do it? or not

Back