HPI Trophy Tuggy 4.6 throttle sticking

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slewis223

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I just recently got a hpi trophy truggy 4.6 and I broke it in and it was working fine then one day I was driving it and I sped up on a straight and the throttle on it stuck and I tried to brake and it wouldnt stop only until it hit what ever was in the way. please help thank you

Is this a new or used buggy, or more specifically, is the engine new or used? Be sure the carb is working 100%. With the engine not running, use the radio to move the carb thru it's whole stroke, forwards and brake. Look for and possible places where it could be binding up. Nothing hanging up when you remove the throttle rods from the servo arm as well? Make sure the hardware on the carb is tight.
Have you since checked the servo and radio setting to be sure it's not an issue with one or the other? Is the radio new or used? I would start here at the very beginning, insuring that you have a 100% charged batteries (or new batteries if you are using alkalines) are you using a battery pack or AA batteries in the receiver (in the truck)? The batteries in the truck are a VERY common weak point. It is recommended that you simply replace them with a pack before you continue. The AA sytem Is a plague! Is there a servo saver installed here? Servo savers are great in some applications, in this case, it would be the route of all your problems. If there is one installed here, I recommend you remove it and retest the system making sure to be thorough BEFORE you take it back out for a ride. Check all of the radio systems wiring to be sure you have no stripped, bare, cut or shorted wires. Be sure that your plugs are also in good shape. Take a moment to pull the arm off of the servo to be sure you don't have a stripped arm or that the servo itself is not stripped there, You should also check to be sure that the servo isn't stripped internally. Because the gears inside a servo are usually very fine, it can be tricky to find the stripped part(s). Since you've got most of it apart already, it's easy enough to just pull the servo out and be sure by pulling the top cover. Be sure to inspect VERY closely!!!
At this point, I ask that you repost with what you have found here. I have given you a TON of things to look at. Before digging much further, tell us what you find and we'll respond with more recommendations.
Good luck!
Look forward to hearing what you've come up with so far!!!

I was having this issue with my Revo and it took all my confidence out of the truck and it caused me to irreparably damage the body I spent days on painting :(

This past week I replaced the RX/TX with a Spektrum system and the throttle sticking went away. Not saying that is your issue but I could not replicate the problem on a work bench. It could have been related to the Traxxas optidrive, not even sure at this point. But everything Mike said is the place to start.

Last edited:
Maybe u need to shorten the links like how I did to my t maxx when it wouldn't work

Nobody has yet asked whether it was the transmitter first. Did you lose complete control of the vehicle, no steering or anything? The throttle linkages could of been bent as a result of the crash, not from something else.

When you have a sticking throttle issue the first thing you do is disconnect the linkage and (without the engine running) work the throttle by hand to see if it moves freely. If it does not seem to hang up or stick then you probably have an issue with the linkage being out of alignment causing extra drag or a ball joint that needs to be replaced. Correct that and if you feel confident that there are no other problems, such as a bad servo or weak radio signal, chances are you don't have a throttle return spring. If you lose all power without that working properly, you'll have a REAL problem.

bdc.jpg

Last edited:
Back