hpi savage xl 5.9 vs losi 8ight

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnSampson

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi, I am not sure as which one to buy. I want one that is very durable, and one that will not break apart while sitting on the shelf for some time :hehe: which one has better upgrades and which one you can just bash the crap out of it and the engine mount will not come loose, just the overall better truck

Tough choice, one is a proven basher and the other is a proven racer. They will both make for a durable basher, the rest comes down to personal preference... do you want an MT or a buggy.

I like mt but I dont have a buggy yet.

Do they both have a flat engine mount like the nitro 4 Tec

Is the savage bigger than the revo 3.3

Savage XL for big air bashing, losi 8ight for high speed bashing with some small to medium jumps.

The savage XL is bigger than the revo by roughly 2 inches.

Which one do most people like better. Which one is easier to upgrade/take apart and put back together
Which engine is more reliable and easier to tune

Last edited:
Which one do most people like better. Which one is easier to upgrade/take apart and put back together

Which one do most people like better.

Ford or chevy? Ketchup or mustard?

Which one is easier to upgrade/take apart and put back together

They are pretty similar in this aspect. The 8ight is probably easier to work on but from a big air bashing standpoint there are going to be more upgrades for the savage.

Savage XL for big air bashing, losi 8ight for high speed bashing with some small to medium jumps.

The savage XL is bigger than the revo by roughly 2 inches.

The 8ight will be able to handle big jumps, they guys going for record distances use buggies not MTs. The flat chassis is designed to smack and spread the impact out. The 8ight will also be easier to work on due to that fact that it's a racer, during races you have to be able to repair/change things quickly.

I haven't run a Savage XL but from what I've read, the 5.9 isn't known for being a great engine. The Losi 454 is in my XXL and it's pretty good, if it can throw my XXL around, it should sling that buggy with no problem.

Let's say I get a savage should I get the savage xl 5.9 or The savage 4.6

I have a savage xl and its great.I prefer savage xl better

Let's say I get a savage should I get the savage xl 5.9 or The savage 4.6
The XL for sure. It is one tough mutha for sure. But you will at some point get sick of the k5.9 not holding a tune. The Losi 454 is a straight drop in. It's what I've got in my XL.

Either kit is great...You just need to decide if you want a MT or a buggy

The 4.6 X is a proven basher that produces tons of power for that platform. There has been a ton of members complaining about how touchy the 5.9XL is to hold a consistent tune. I dont think I've come across anyone who bashed the 4.6X

Of course not it is a nitro rig. At best you may find a rig like the revo that has waterproof servos but a nitro rig can never be 100% waterproof.

Of course not it is a nitro rig. At best you may find a rig like the revo that has waterproof servos but a nitro rig can never be 100% waterproof.

If you're choosing between the X and the XL, I would go XL personally. I have both and they both kick serious butt. But I just like how the XL is more beefy and bigger. Neither of them are waterproof, no nitro kit is. You can get all the electronics waterproofed with some work though, if that's what you mean. Of course that doesn't mean you can submarine the thing like a waterproofed electric.

I will say this, more often than not guys who bought the X end up converting them to XL size. So why not start out that way.

Is the savage alot of fun to drive. is the savage xl 5.9 better than the revo 3.3

Last edited:
Back