HPI Nitro MT2 nitro truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhm83

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi,
I would like to buy this truck. Can anyone tell me if this is a good truck to buy. i found one on ebay for what seems like a good price so i am wondering if i should go for it.
Thanks,

Is it new or used?

its brand new. they are asking 150.00 is that a fair price? i looked at my lhs website and they claim 600+ for what looks like the same truck. same model # and everything

$150 is a great price for a brand new MT2! Be careful though and make sure it's what it says it is.

$150 is a great price for a brand new MT2! Be careful though and make sure it's what it says it is.

thanks. i am new to rc and i want to be carefull i was a little to happy on the gun and bought a d & A racing truck and found out later that it might not have been that great a move.:whhooo: I am looking for a good entry level truck to have also so if any one has some suggestions please let me know

If it is actually a new in box MT2 that's a super deal. Just be careful of the scam artists on feebay.

thanks for the advise guys. I was still wondering what a good name brand starter car would be. I have visited so many sites about rc nitros that my head is spinning. I am sure that the people that have experience on here can point me in the way to go. Also what is better a buggy or a truck?

Are you going to be racing or bashing? For bashing, I'd recommend a truck. For racing the buggy. As far as brands, I'd suggest one of the major brands like Associated, HPI, Losi and Traxxas. The best thing is to see what your local hobby shop (LHS) carries in the way of replacement parts.

I had good luck with my first nitro rig which was a Traxxas Revo 3.3. I've also heard good things about the HPI Savage with the 4.6 motor.

Are you going to be racing or bashing? For bashing, I'd recommend a truck. For racing the buggy. As far as brands, I'd suggest one of the major brands like Associated, HPI, Losi and Traxxas. The best thing is to see what your local hobby shop (LHS) carries in the way of replacement parts.

I had good luck with my first nitro rig which was a Traxxas Revo 3.3. I've also heard good things about the HPI Savage with the 4.6 motor.

Hi guys. Just to update on my quest for the right truck. I just finished buying an HPI MT2 off of ebay. According to the prices at some of the LHS around here I got a real good deal. :D Can anyone tell me if this comes with a starter or do I still have to get a starter kit? Also if anyone has any tips for a newbie i would be more then glad to hear them. lol

The listing should've told you everything that was included. As for tips, don't break the engine in if it's below 50 degrees outside, use a quality battery in the ignitor(nimh, not alkaline) and read the instructions until your eyes hurt.:) And obviously, keep us posted so we can help you along. A couple more tips: Heat the engine with a hair dryer to loosen it up a bit. New engines are very tight, and preheating them helps to take stress off of the internals. Always put the piston to bottom dead center immediately after you shut the engine off. This prolongs the engines pinch(compression). Let us know when it arrives!:)

I have one with an OS .18TM in it and it is crazy fast. Lil sucker will rip the wheels off the ground if it can get traction. I found that the rear hub carriers are a bit weak and need to be alloy. I broke a big stack of them before I upgraded. But a real fun little truck.

The listing should've told you everything that was included. As for tips, don't break the engine in if it's below 50 degrees outside, use a quality battery in the ignitor(nimh, not alkaline) and read the instructions until your eyes hurt.:) And obviously, keep us posted so we can help you along. A couple more tips: Heat the engine with a hair dryer to loosen it up a bit. New engines are very tight, and preheating them helps to take stress off of the internals. Always put the piston to bottom dead center immediately after you shut the engine off. This prolongs the engines pinch(compression). Let us know when it arrives!:)

By the ignitor do you mean the thingy that goes in the top of the motor? If so can I get them at the LHS? Thanks for the preheating tips:D I will keep you all posted how things go. The good thing is that I can go to my buddy's place and he will have a big barn where I can break my truck in. :D it will be available in like three weeks wohoo.:hehe: No waiting for winter to be over. I might still get to rip on snow or is this not advisable for a new engine?:whhooo:

Nitro engines hate the cold, period. Some folks have success, but it's hard on the engine. The cold makes it difficult to keep your temps steady. Running too cool adds mechanical pinch(metal contracts in the cold), adding stress to the engine internals. You can cover part of the cooling head to retain some heat, but it's tricky to get just right. Some people have a dedicated winter and summer engine. Usually a half worn out engine for winter use. The ignitor is what heats the glow plug for starting.

Nitro engines hate the cold, period. Some folks have success, but it's hard on the engine. The cold makes it difficult to keep your temps steady. Running too cool adds mechanical pinch(metal contracts in the cold), adding stress to the engine internals. You can cover part of the cooling head to retain some heat, but it's tricky to get just right. Some people have a dedicated winter and summer engine. Usually a half worn out engine for winter use. The ignitor is what heats the glow plug for starting.

Ok thanks for the advise. I will definately keep it to the warm barn and when that isnt available any more I guess I will wait for spring:( On another note I read somewhere on here ( I think ) that RC parts are duty free when crossing the border. It also said in the post that if you did get charged duty you could apply to get it back. Does someone know anything about that. My dad just got his truck and we had to pay $40 for duty. Sorry if this is the wrong part of the forum to post this ?. I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread for it or not so I decided to put it here.

one other thing. Where can I find some of the nimh batteries. Are they available anywhere or only at my LHS.

Last edited:
allbattery.com. Cheapbatterypacks.com. I've had good luck with 3800mah Tenergy. But at the same time, I don't ask a whole lot out of my batteries(3906 E Maxx, 12t Titians, geared really low). What are you looking to use the batteries in?

allbattery.com. Cheapbatterypacks.com. I've had good luck with 3800mah Tenergy. But at the same time, I don't ask a whole lot out of my batteries(3906 E Maxx, 12t Titians, geared really low). What are you looking to use the batteries in?

Thats what someone recommended I put in my ignitor instead of alkaline batteries. I really dont want to order on line because i live in the middle of nowhere so everything takes forever to come. Plus i have to deal with the border crossing too.

Your hobby shop will carry any battery you need. If they don't stock it, they can order it in their next battery delivery.
You'll also want to consider a 5 cell Nimh hump pack instead of the 4 AAA cell pack for your Rx and servos.

NiMH is Nickel Metal Hydride. Rechargable a thousand times.
Don't let the hobby shop talk you into NiCads. That's Nickel Cadmium. That's the technology before NiMH, and just isn't worth it anymore.

Hi guys
I was just wondering about a comparison between the HPI MT2 and the Traxxas T Max. My buddy just bought one today and we were wondering if we will be in the same feild if we race against each other. As far as I can tell they must be pretty close but maybe some one could shed some light on it for us. Thanks

i have a HPI MT2 so of you need any advise in the near future give me a PM. Check out my photos in the Pictures Section of the forum so you can see what can be done to urs! :)