How waterproof is a Hobby Wing XR10 G2 pro 160a?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnFabRC

RCTalk Talkaholic
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
The end of outdoor season is almost here. I plan to totally tear down my B74.1D clean everything really well and change the setup to carpet mode.

I was doing the normal cleanup today for this weekend and noticed there’s a ton of dirt in the ESC heatsink. On the XR10 the fan housing is actually part of the heatsink so it’s real hard to get in there. Compressed air didn’t work so I’m hoping to soften it up by maybe running it under the sink. Is that a bad idea? Or will it be fine? I’d do it with my castle esc’s and not think twice but I don’t know about the Hobby Wing.

compressed air always works just need to do some dirt breakup b4 air.I would not wash and esc no matter what others say

I'd hit it with a toothbrush + 91% isopropyl alcohol - the alcohol will evaporate quickly, and is much less conductive than water, in addition to being a stronger solvent.

I'd hit it with a toothbrush + 91% isopropyl alcohol - the alcohol will evaporate quickly, and is much less conductive than water, in addition to being a stronger solvent.
Problem is I can’t get into the corners with a brush. It’s got this integrated fan frame setup. You can only remove the fan guard and the motor/propeller. I get why they did it that way but it really is a bit*h to properly clean. I’ll be at my workshop tomorrow I’m gonna grab one of my little picks and see if I can break the dirt loose.

Oh, I understand now - I thought those "frameless fans" were totally removable.

Maybe eyedropper on some isopropyl, let it sit, and then hit it with the compressed air?

Technically, isopropyl is barely conductive and evaporates quickly enough to not pose an issue, even if you submerge the unit; practically, I would still be cautious.