how to remove stripped screws

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjl5590

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hiya,

I just received my used Hyper 8, but many of the underside countersunk hex screw are stripped and wont come out.
Is there a tool to remove them?

Also, the center driveshafts on the car have a lot of movement in them - they can move back and forth a large amount. Is this normal for this car?

Many thanks for any help!

You can use a small cutting wheel on a dremmel to cut grooves that a flat blade screw driver fits. If the screws are going into metal and have locklite on them, use a soldering iron to heat them up. There's really not a good way to remove stripped screws. An extractor may be helpful, too. Extractors this small break pretty easy, though.

Metalhead's methods are the first things I would try. If those methods don't work, I've resorted to using a drill bit that is equal to or slightly larger than the screws diameter and drilling down to the point where you can remove the head. You're 1/2 way there if you're trying to use an extractor anyways. Once the head is off you can then remove the part from whatever it was screwed into and should have enough of the screw left to use vice grips to remove the sucka. It's slow going, but it works.

the thing about the screws, i think the previous owner might have used red loctite on them, because i was breaking my allen keys trying to get them out

the thing about the screws, i think the previous owner might have used red loctite on them, because i was breaking my allen keys trying to get them out

So now the truth comes out! :hehe: Just kiddin'. Do what ballen said. Heat 'em up until they come out with out excessive force. Make sure you don't melt anything.

Back