How to reduce steering sensitivity erevo 2.0

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshaf

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Is this possible through traxxas link app? I tried a few adjustments but didn't seem to make a difference. The steering on my erevo just seems extremely sensitive/ touchy. Just the smallest amount of turn on transmitter is all it takes to turn quickly. Going from kraton to erevo, it's like two entirely different trucks steering wise and I have to be much more cautious on 6s speed runs with erevo bc just the smallest amount of input on my end and truck is flying off the road. Probably mostly bc I just started running street tires and the added grip adds to steering responsiveness. Although, kraton streers completely the same running same street tires

There are a lot of tuning options available to reduce the sensitivity and here are some ways to address it by priority, only make 1 change at a time until you get the truck to handle to your liking:

1) If you have a computer radio, then reduce the "Steering Speed" setting if your radio offers this feature, this is the best way to take away responsiveness :)
2) If you are using "Expo" then disable it, it makes steering worse as you go full lock, you want a linear feel to take away responsiveness, expo is the worst setting anyone could ever use :(
3) Check your front "Toe" make the wheels point perfectly straight to reduce response, if you have any "Toe-Out" then that will increase your steering
4) Reduce the thickness of diff fluid in the center diff, if you don't know what you have in there, then I recommend starting with 10K, you will still be able to wheelie but far too many bashers put far too thick of fluids in their diffs making their cars undriveable :(

After that if you still have issues, then make tuning adjustments that stiffen the front and loosen the rear as a general concept using the following guide:
https://storage.googleapis.com/sodialed-help-files/manuals-and-reference/hudy%20off-road%20setup%20book.pdf

1714834394571.png

In the Traxxas link go under the "drive effects" tab. Then you will see sliders for adjustments and there is a "steering sensitivity". That is also known as steering exponential. If you increase the value the steering becomes less responsive near neutral.

Also like @bill_delong mentioned, check your alignment. Toe-in is less responsive than toe-out. I prefer toe-in myself because it is less twitchy in response.

Last edited:
Is this possible through traxxas link app? I tried a few adjustments but didn't seem to make a difference. The steering on my erevo just seems extremely sensitive/ touchy. Just the smallest amount of turn on transmitter is all it takes to turn quickly. Going from kraton to erevo, it's like two entirely different trucks steering wise and I have to be much more cautious on 6s speed runs with erevo bc just the smallest amount of input on my end and truck is flying off the road. Probably mostly bc I just started running street tires and the added grip adds to steering responsiveness. Although, kraton streers completely the same running same street tires
If you have the TSM radio, and the Link module, yes you can program steering sensitivity in their app.

https://traxxas.com/support/Traxxas-Link-App-Bluetooth

You can adjust without the Link app or module, but it is a bit more complicated... see page 16 of your TSM radio manual.

You can also set the multi-function knob to control the steering sensitivity (expo) in real time. So you can adjust it on the fly.

*Forgot to add*
All you need to do is touch the knob to the right of the slider so it lights up with a red circle around it and now the multi-function knob is live.

Last edited:
I just want to emphasize how horrible expo is for steering, yes it reduces sensitivity when tracking straight and can actually be useful for doing speed runs where you want very little steering input to make small corrections when tracking straight, but this feature comes at a cost... as the expo rate grows when going into a turn, your rate grows exponentially causing the car to violently spin out of control when you least expect it as the wheel turns into full lock :(

You will do far better off without any expo if you want to reduce steering response overall to maintain a linear feel making the car more predictable and controllable in a turn.

As a recap, expo is only recommended for racing in a straight line (drag racing) with no turns.

Modern radio systems use "Steering Speed" instead of expo to reduce steering sensitivity in a turn, there are tons of dated recommendations on the web to use Expo, but that is no longer the case since Steering Speed was introduced a few years ago ;)

In regards to the OP's question there isn't another option unless they want to buy a new Tx/Rx. Not everybody wants to buy new radio gear. 😉

Also you can reduce the steering amount in addition to expo which can help that full lock scenario.

In regards to the OP's question there isn't another option unless they want to buy a new Tx/Rx. Not everybody wants to buy new radio gear. 😉

Also you can reduce the steering amount in addition to expo which can help that full lock scenario.

I gave a rather extended list of tuning options ordered by importance to fix the OP's issue.

Just note that Zero Expo is best even if Steering Speed is not available, then I listed lower priority items to help solve the problem where I don't feel it's necessary to invest in a quality radio that includes Steering Speed, though that will offer the least difficult option for someone who is lazy and not willing to put in the effort to properly tune their car ;)

First question I would ask is are your steering endpoints set correctly?

LOL..so he is going to do speed runs in circles so expo will be no help..
Expo is a great benefit when doing a speed run

LOL..so he is going to do speed runs in circles so expo will be no help..
Expo is a great benefit when doing a speed run
Exactly, OP said doing speed runs.

I gave a rather extended list of tuning options ordered by importance to fix the OP's issue.

Just note that Zero Expo is best even if Steering Speed is not available, then I listed lower priority items to help solve the problem where I don't feel it's necessary to invest in a quality radio that includes Steering Speed, though that will offer the least difficult option for someone who is lazy and not willing to put in the effort to properly tune their car ;)
Did I miss something, who is being lazy? I wouldn't consider 4 items a "rather extended list"?
When did the OP ask for setting up a car for racing?😉

Last edited:
Back