How to recoil a pullstart?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rc legend

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how to easily recoil a pullstart???

20151115_100124.jpg

Attachments

• 20151115_100124.jpg
    20151115_100124.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 193
I have done it a few times when I really wanted to keep running but it was never easy.

If you wan't it bluntly, just buy a new pull start, save yourself a brain hemorrhage. As far as I know there are no "instant tricks" to make it easier. I've done it once, but it really is a pain and you end up with at least 100 cuts on each finger.

Easy to do but so hard to explain. There's a few vids on youtube that helped me but in the end i found my own method using a few techniques from the videos i watched. Now i treat them like glow plugs and just buy new ones after they start acting up.

Tightly coil the spring and drop it into the housing it will unwind to the size of the housing but thats okay as long as it stays coiled properly. Now have the pulley string all the way unwound and use a small flathead to manipulate the pulley back onto the spring coil (where its bent to slide into the pulley) this is the fun part. if you manage to get that far pull some of the cord out so that as you backwind the spring to add tension the cord doesn't wind up onto the pulley (it will be pinched against the casing and the pulley as you wind), you'll want to backwind it 10-12 full turns before you start to allow the cord to start wrapping around the pulley like its supposed to. if you add enough tension to the spring and you line up the pull cord to wrap back onto the pulley when you release it it will wind itself back to starting position and there should still be enough tension on it to keep it tight and not loose. Have fun!

Last edited:
Easy to do but so hard to explain. There's a few vids on youtube that helped me but in the end i found my own method using a few techniques from the videos i watched. Now i treat them like glow plugs and just buy new ones after they start acting up.

Tightly coil the spring and drop it into the housing it will unwind to the size of the housing but thats okay as long as it stays coiled properly. Now have the pulley string all the way unwound and use a small flathead to manipulate the pulley back onto the spring coil (where its bent to slide into the pulley) this is the fun part. if you manage to get that far pull some of the cord out so that as you backwind the spring to add tension the cord doesn't wind up onto the pulley (it will be pinched against the casing and the pulley as you wind), you'll want to backwind it 10-12 full turns before you start to allow the cord to start wrapping around the pulley like its supposed to. if you add enough tension to the spring and you line up the pull cord to wrap back onto the pulley when you release it it will wind itself back to starting position and there should still be enough tension on it to keep it tight and not loose. Have fun!
Don't know why I never did it that way, but I always would wrap the cord around the spool completely, then give myself enough slack in the rope to twist the spool to create the extra needed tension. Was always a pain keeping the rope wrapped. Should have just left it all slack and spin it a few more times.

I've done it 10/15 times. Start by cleaning the spring completely with DA before bothering winding it up. Odds are, you will respool it a couple times because you will slip. It's better to have it uncoil and smack you in the face 15 times when it's not all covered in dirt/grime. Also, it's easier to spool when the spring is dry and not slippery. Once you get it spooled and dropped into the housing, then put a couple drops of oil on it and then continue with creating spring tension.

Thanks all for the info,much appreciated:)