how to make shockwears cover wat ever u want to call them

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lillightingboy21

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm sick of cleaning my shocks ever time i drive how do u make some shockwears. i want to find an easy way to make them:thumbsup:

thanx if u find the easier way tell me
slick nick

The balloon method is a good one. But I went a different route. I went out and bought about a yard of black lycra. Then I doubled it over and sewed it so it was about 5/8" wide. Pull it inside out and then thread your shock spring into it. Trim so there's about 1/4 inch on each end, tuck it in and reinstall. I did this on my Maxx and here's what it looks like....

15KoilKovers.jpg

thats sweet but i aint no sewer yet but hey sweet idea they look awesome

10:1 says there is a woman somewhere in your life that knows how to sew! hit up the receptionist at work if need be hehehe

All things considerred it is probably one of the easiest seams to sew.

true true but that will take to long and i dont want to have to spend the money on the cloth but hey maybe i will one day

Ebay 8 dollars and you can get what ever color you want and there good

today i made some out of ballons i wanted to see what it was like it is sweet they look sweet there are blue i like it took awile but now they are sweet

ya i just went and got some off of ebay for $12 and it came with 12 of them. i like them they are nice.

bryan

thats sweet r they durable material maybe i will look into them

Thanks for the link doug, I thought everyone had forgotten about that how-to (ahem, yo Chris, you ever get that posted in the tech section? Just rib'n ya bro).

The first set I did on my Savage lasted a couple gallons of hard core bashing. I replaced them because of wear and dry rot due to UV, though they did have some life left in them anyway.

I almost got a set of the lycra ones at the LHS this past weekend, but I didn't like the looseness of them on the top of the shocks. Personal preferance I guess, but I stuck with the shock condoms. Whatever you use, they will pay off. On the set I had on the Savage, there was nearly no dirt contamination in the oil, and thus the seals were not worn or loaded with oily dirt. This is the most important factor in using shock covers, not having to clean the shocks is just a bonus, not having dirt destroy a shock is the main thing.

there is something els out there that will work just as good and it comes in different colors . It is called Heat Shrink. it is a plastic rap used in avionics to protect wires. Just take off the spings cut the lingth you need feed the spring through and with a heat gun hair dryer are a lighter shrink the plastic around the spring. But be Carefull in this process , to much heat and she's skin tight springs won't move, to loose the srings will fall through.
you can pick it up at you local electronics store

I don't know what the deal is around here but I could NOT find the right size balloons!I went to 5 different stores and none of them had balloons like that?

ballons

just about any ballons will work . you just have to make shore they are a smaller I.D. than the springs.

i made then yesterday but any other ideas will be sweet

Back