How to make a video with your rc

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARRMAgeddon

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
How are you guys making your rc run videos
I tried it
Lol out of focus
I keep wathing the rc not on the cp😁

I'm a beginner with mine, I really don't have to the patience to sit down and edit it all.

I just use my Galaxy Note 8 phone and Power Director for editing. They have a phone app, or you can download it to the PC.

Shooting with my Google Pixel 5.

I'm usually shooting for myself mostly to see how the rig is moving from a different angle over obstacles. Because of that I usually use either my gorillapod for low shots or my full size tripod for higher shots.

I really only post them to YouTube because it's the easiest way to share them across multiple platforms and watch them in 4k on the 65" TV. I probably should go through and do some tagging before it gets away from me but I'm not concerned about view count.

I am in the process of re-learning DaVinci Resolve. It's way more tool than I need but once I have it setup right and my processes down I can whip something basic up pretty quickly.

Go Pro with headband strap mostly

Have 3 diff phone holders for tx

Use mini tripods to place around

I like to have 2 or 3 cameras at once when shooting bashing/ramp vids. My GoPro, an old Galaxy S10+ phone and my current S21+ phone. :thumbs-up:

Gopro hero5 and 8 with a lanyard I made to hang it around my neck with little legs to help point it the angle I want it. Also use a runcam 2 for the onboard view. I use an older versionf or cyberlink powerdirector (version16) that allows me to have both the chest cam and onboard cam as picture in picture. Getting the footage synced is a pain, but editing is relatively painless once you learn the keyboard shortcuts.

I record entire bash sessions and end up with 2-3 hours of footage that I edit down into 5-10 minute videos. I usually make one video for each truck I drive for the day and have been recording every bash session and posting it for my friends and myself's own entertainment on youtube for the past few years.

Latest with picture in picture (and a little of just POV somewhere in the middle):

Latest with just the chest camera (a lot easier to edit):

Depending on the software you use, it will take the source video and downcovert it so it's easier to edit, then when it renders the final output, it uses the original. Editing 1080p+ video requires a pretty healthy CPU or it's just a pain to edit. Using software that downcoverts it to a lower resolution video takes a while for it to create the temporary files, but editing goes a lot quicker. The powerdirector software I use downcoverts it if you choose.

I just push Record on OBS Studio and throttle up!

iPhone 8, GoPro Hero 8, and GoPro Hero 9. I’ll sometimes use a media mod with the 9 but oftentimes it just goes on a head strap. The 9 has horizon leveling; very useful when moving about a lot.

I use my phone (Google Pixel 3) and sometimes my dad records with his (Samsung S10+)
On my radio, it does have a place to mount a phone to it, so I will search up a phone holder for my radio, so I can record my races/practice.
I wonder if I can strap my phone to my head? Might be easier with an actual camera. I seen some people use their hats to mount their camera too. (Ex. Ryan Harris)

I’m by myself most of the time, so I’ll be getting a Insta360 X3 360 camera.

This way I can put it down on its tripod and have some scenes planned, and the camera will record everything, and I can just edit the videos later.

Essentially don’t have to worry about having the car in the shot, as I can get the software to track the car in post edit. The resolution is not 4K, but most people won’t even notice if they’re watching on their phones.

Editing is everything in an RC video. Shoot 10 times more video than you're going to use then edit out all the waudling about, setting up, and truck flipping. If your truck is faster than a crawler don't follow it, instead pick a spot and shoot from there. It's good to do your shooting from several vantage points throughout the recording process. When you're done edit the hell out of it. If out of an hour of shooting you got 10 minutes of usable footage your doing good.

Just using my Android phone and a cheap phone tripod...

Then edited them via my phone and added them together via tik Tok for now

I have other clips saved that I need to and still edit on my computer...

This link is from my phone... The tripod vids from my backyard I need to edit and post but I don't have room on the phone to manipulate

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8g2aTFG/