How to get this pin out

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
How to get this pin out?
PXL_20230804_171227257.jpg

Heat and needle nose vise grips. The bearing looks toast so I wouldn't worry about the heat.
Got needle nose vise grips. Yea bearing is shot. Going to replace that. Don't have heat. Maybe a hair dryer?

I was about to suggest exactly what TNT said. No heat required.

Before hitting with a dremel to cut the bent end, I would snip/remove the bearing race that is binding against the pin as well

Curious when was the last time this vehicle was maintained to include repacking the bearings with fresh grease?

Curious when was the last time this vehicle was maintained to include repacking the bearings with fresh grease?
Uhhhh
It was that long. 😆
It's a basher. Really don't care about it. I would care more if it was my race stuff.

How to get this pin out?
View attachment 169640
Wow bud you did a number on that pin trying to get it out. Next time just use a center punch or 1.5 hex wrench. Put the hub nut back on axle. Lay the nut on a 2x4 or something solid. Then smack the center punch or hex wrench to push pin threw axle. Then grab the other side and pull out.

With that one so beat up an bent to hell. You will definitely need to cut off one side. Going to take some work to get out bud... good luck let's us know how you make out..good luck

I love the before and after shots! 😁 :thumbs-up:

Some of my RCs have spring pins in the axle to drive the wheel/hex, the others have solid pins in the axle. Normally, the solid pins should fall out (if not secured with grub screw like on 1/8 scale RCs) or need very little effort to get them out.

In any case, glad to see you got it out.
That blue rubber(?) shield infused with a shim(?) got my attention...
1697372009654.png

Last edited:
I love the before and after shots! 😁 :thumbs-up:

Some of my RCs have spring pins in the axle to drive the wheel/hex, the others have solid pins in the axle. Normally, the solid pins should fall out (if not secured with grub screw like on 1/8 scale RCs) or need very little effort to get them out.

View attachment 173163
Traxxas 1985. 5x8x.05 fiber washer.

I'm assuming they use cheap soft metal for the axle pins now? Never had that happen to me before.

Current hexes I have now are cheap Amazon aluminum ones. 7mm for the front. 5.5mm for the rear. They do have a grub screw.
Yep. I got all that junk out. Cleaned out the hub. Replaced with new bearings, and pin. Also cleaned out the hex as there were some carpet strings in there.
I'm assuming they use cheap soft metal for the axle pins now? Never had that happen to me before.
Idk what I'm using. Can be traxxas, can be a Amazon brand that came with my cheap wheel hexes. Not really sure. All of my hardware is in my misc hardware bin. Lol.

This probably happened as I really don't do regular scheduled maintenance on my cars. Since these are slowly turning into club racers, I will be doing rebuilds often. Just like my race stuff currently.

Oh yea, on the other side when I took the hex off, the pin just broke in half and fell out completely.

Maybe I should just get new wheel hexes all together? These were a cheap Amazon hobbypark ones. From 3 years ago. Any good name brands? Because I know Traxxas doesn't have aluminum hexes for these. I know the new BL2s 4x4s do.
Here is a pic. Currently running stock hexes in the front and the Amazon rears. Pretty sure I have a few stock plastic 5.5mm hexes in my parts bin.
PXL_20231015_003209941.jpg