How to find drive washer / taper cone drive washers?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tudordewolf

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Any help / direction for the search is very appreciated.

I'm trying to put together some engine swaps and I'm having a hard time finding a particular part - I need a drive washer for .12-.18 engines that engages a tapered cone and has the flywheel pressed up against it. Most engines that need one include it, but I can't find a single one sold separately. I need one that's just tapered, no notches or flats.

I understand some marine engines may have a similar arrangement.

Maybe my problem is that I don't know the correct term to search for.

I need just one extra, but is I'll always be one short if I have to "borrow" it from another engine.

Engines that do use (and include) one: Evo-12P, SH-.18
Engines that need them: Multi-shaft version Traxxas engines going into the HSP platform

Worse, it's not even listed as a "part" on the engines which _do_ use it.

I've purchased an enya .09 drive washer which is too small, and a "DHK H119" .21 drive washer which was too big. I need one that's 5mm thick, front to back.

This is the one from an sh.18:
qo46ZkK.png

You can also search for "engine cone collet".

track down a online manual for part number that might help

Appreciate the help, I should clarify - I don't need the split cones, I need the washer that goes over them. It's a slightly unusual arrangement where instead of the flywheel engaging the collet, the washer does, and then the flywheel, which only has a 5mm bore, is pressed against the washer by the pilot shaft, almost as if it were a propeller.

The washers from an Sh.18 engine or Thunder Tiger Evo-12(P) are perfect, but not listed on their respective manuals as "parts" of the engine.

That first one is the part I need, but as you can see there, it's only being sold together with an engine. The second one isn't tapered, it's got two flats. I appreciate your looking. I may just get one with the engine and keep the engine for parts or even part it out.

The piece you are talking about is usually removed and replaced by the flywheel of the clutch that fits over the tapered cone in a car.
In this pic part 86021 is fitted over a tapered cone and tightens against the flat front of the engine.
562_16.jpg

Yes!

Even better, since the ones from mikegoesflying weren't a perfect fit.

Thank you!
Cool. I wasn't sure. I have 3 or 4 of those laying around from my old nitro OS engines. However, theirs were keyed to notches on the shaft and didn't use the collet. You would remove that and put a collet on to use a normal car flywheel.

The old OS 15 CV-r(X) came with a crank like that with those things, I probably still have them somewhere... lol!

You can see the flat spots on the crank here:
2004-0603-engine-os15cvrx-lowspeedside.jpg

Here's the product of my efforts, an Evo-12P wearing HSP hardware. I also had to drill out the flywheel from 5mm to 1/4" (6.35mm), and use a shoulder bolt to extend the pilot shaft, which I'm quite proud of figuring out - shown partially screwed in, it installs flush and the diameter is perfect.

IMG-20220715-WA0011.jpeg

IMG-20220715-WA0025.jpeg

Last edited:
Back