How to convert a PC PSU to power your LiPo charger

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
My latest video! its a remake of one of my really early videos on how to convert a PC power supply so you can use it to power your lipo chargers. The old video had poor video and audio quality and the walkthrough itself isnt as coherent as this time around :)

Parts you will need:
10W 10Ohm sandbar resistor
Either Banana Posts with some fender washers and yellow ring connectors if you go the Banana Post route. (get the yellow ring connectors as you can fit 5 to 6 18AWG wires in them. The ring portion of these is actually way bigger than the binding posts on the back of the banana connectors so you'll need to put some fender washers on either side of the ring connector to make sure proper contact is made. Fender washers I used were #6 w/ 1/2in OD.
4mm bullet connectors if you decide to go that route.
Heatshrink of varying sizes... (I believe I used 3mm for single wires, I think I used either 5 or 6mm for the bullet connectors and I used 10 ro 12mm heatshrink for the left over wires. Electrical tape could work also)

Optional Parts:
5mm LED (any color)
5mm LED mount
220Ohm 1/2W resistor (this is for the LED if you choose to do one)
Any 2 or 3 pole SPST switch
LED fan if your PSU doesn't already have one
Zipties

Tools need
Drill and bits
Crimpers for the ring connectors
Wire strippers
Wire cutters
Philips screwdriver
Heat source for heatshrink
Solder
Soldering Iron

Last edited:
This is great man, thanks for sharing. I'm going to try this.

NP. its really not as hard as a lot of people would think it is. If you dont know much about electronics and you opened up a power supply youd think "Holy crap thats pretty complex!" but its really not so much. :)

Guys be VERY careful when taking apart of computer power supply. These things can hold deadly charges for very long periods of times.

On a side note, a decent modular power supply like the Corsair RM550 would make for a very clean design.

I made sure to show the caps in the PSU and giving a warning about them :) Although its honestly kinda hard to get zapped by them unless you're handling the PCB itself but there is always that possibility that you could get in there and get zapped.

Last edited:
Yeah I know, just wanted to throw that written disclaimer out there. I've seen people do crazy stuff. ;)

You should post a parts list too that you use. Could be useful.

Back