How the @:#¥ do I figure out what pinion I need?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefb

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I’m a sure there a a bunch of posts about this but I just can’t seem to find the info I’m looking for.

I bought my first kit an ae 6.4 and have no clue where to start when looking for a pinion gear.

I have an HW v10 17.5t motor and the kit says to start with the 78t spur gear.

Lots of learning when building to from scratch. Some of it was what not to do but those are valuable lessons too!

THe motor has a 3.175 shaft so you need a 3.175 bore pinion. I also believe its 48 pitch spur so you need a 48 pitch pinion.
Now the teeth count depends on track conditions, air temperature conditions, layout, size wheels, even the car.
Higher tooth pinion and lower tooth spur = more speed
lower tooth pinion and higher tooth spur = more acceleration or torque.

Not sure on 2wheel, but on my 4 wheel (B74.1) I run a 20T which is the smallest pinion I can run with the motor mounts. This is on a medium sized indoor carpet track. Air temp is around 70-75 F. Motor after a race (5 minute qual or main) is 120-140F. One time geared it up to a 23T and it was over geared and it overheated the motor (motor was at 180 F)

Like I always say with gearing, us online, we can only give you a base line. Just experiment with gearing and see what works best for you, the car and the track.

Last edited:
According to this chart here, the B6 has a range from 15T - 40T:

https://site.petitrc.com/setup/associated/setupb6/B6_Chart/

1689988142495.png

23/78 was best at many tracks. 3.175 mm is 1/8 ..check motor and esc temps dont run to long when you changed pinions

Back