What can I do to make 2.8 MT tires work on my rustler 2wd?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
Heres the problem. Motor over heats and I strip spur gears.

1. Gearing: As of last time I ran the MTs. I was running 14t pinion and I believe the stock 86t spur. Should I go all the way down to a 12t pinion?
2. Stripped spur gears: This can also be the gear mesh and the slipper clutch. I use traxxas recommended settings for setting the slipper. How loose or tight should the slipper be? Traxxas recommended setting is 1 full turn from fully compressed. Traxxas recommends on high traction (road and street) to be 3/4 turn from fully compressed. With these MT tires I plan off road in the field and some sidewalk.
3. Motor over heating problems: I have a HW heatsink and fan but it will not fit due to the transmission case. Might have to customize the trans case to make the fan fit. This is the HW fan I have: https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywing-c1-motor-heatsink-fan-combo-hwa86080120/p279174

MT tires I have: Duratrax Lockup MT 2.8 (12mm hexes)
Car I'm using them on: Rustler 2wd with HW max10 (60A, sensorless) with 3652 4000kv motor

Gearing I have right now: 23/86
Gearing I had for the MT tires: 14/86
Gearing I plan to do: 12/86

I already got new tires for the slash and I have these laying around so why not use them.

I am also going to look at the Stampede 2wd recommended gearing and slipper settings because of the 2.8 tires but these are 2 times bigger and probably heavier than the 2.8 Traxxas talons from the stampede 2wd.

Hey DavidB,

Those Lockup's are big tires at 4.7in diam. and weighing in at 11.7oz ea. Take a lot of shock to control that weight. That's almost 3/4lb per tire, adding a total of ~3lb of rotating mass total. That's asking a lot of a 2WD ST suspension system. Not to mention the stress on the tranny.

Running the larger RPM hubs with larger bearings may help fade the weight of those tires. All steel gear tranny? Probably a consideration.

Suggestion. Spin test one of those Lockup's on the front. See how much, if any, it displays excessive out-of-balance. You'll know right away. Wheel/tire balance is usually not a serious consideration for a MT application. Down fitting an imbalanced MT wheel/tire assy to a lighter duty ST chassis may cause issues.

Hope this helps. Dealing with a similar concerns on my MT10 with P-L belted Trenchers. Cheers. 'AC'

Running the larger RPM hubs with larger bearings may help fade the weight of those tires. All steel gear tranny? Probably a consideration.
Currently running Aluminum rear hubs with stock bearing size. In the rustler right now I have the 272R which is full metal gear. And sealed diff.
That's asking a lot of a 2WD ST suspension system.
I am running RPM arms all around and running 50wt in the shocks all around with some preload spacers. (Using red traxxas springs)
Spin test one of those Lockup's on the front. See how much, if any, it displays excessive out-of-balance. You'll know right away. Wheel/tire balance is usually not a serious consideration for a MT application. Down fitting an imbalanced MT wheel/tire assy to a lighter duty ST chassis may cause issues.
I currently have some wheel wobble in the front hubs so ill take a look with the wobble and then I will rebuild the front axles/hubs and see if that makes a difference. Might even add some fresh new bearings too.

1. Gearing: As of last time I ran the MTs. I was running 14t pinion and I believe the stock 86t spur. Should I go all the way down to a 12t pinion?
2. Stripped spur gears: This can also be the gear mesh and the slipper clutch. I use traxxas recommended settings for setting the slipper. How loose or tight should the slipper be? Traxxas recommended setting is 1 full turn from fully compressed. Traxxas recommends on high traction (road and street) to be 3/4 turn from fully compressed. With these MT tires I plan off road in the field and some sidewalk.
3. Motor over heating problems: I have a HW heatsink and fan but it will not fit due to the transmission case. Might have to customize the trans case to make the fan fit. This is the HW fan I have: https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywing-c1-motor-heatsink-fan-combo-hwa86080120/p279174

Car I'm using them on: Rustler 2wd with HW max10 (60A, sensorless) with 3652 4000kv motor

I already got new tires for the slash and I have these laying around so why not use them.

I am also going to look at the Stampede 2wd recommended gearing and slipper settings because of the 2.8 tires but these are 2 times bigger and probably heavier than the 2.8 Traxxas talons from the stampede 2wd.
1. Upgrade to 32 pitch spur gear.
2. Run 2s only, not 2s
3. Don't run whole pack with no brakes, run for couple minutes make a short break and then continue

Or just run stadium truck size tires :)

Kv on that motor is too high for MT tires on the Rustler imho.

I was constantly killing the plastic spurs on my Rustler with the lockups too so I went with the Hot Racing steel spur been solid ever since.
This is my setup.
Arrma BLX100 esc.
Arrma BLX100 3660 3200kv motor.
Hot Racing 86t steel spur.
Robinson Racing Absolute hardened 25T pinion.

1676081179118.png

1676082021112.jpeg

1676082161361.jpeg

Or just run stadium truck size tires :)
Yea thats what I'm planning on doing. Might even sell the MT tires I got and getting new ST tires. Been digging the Duratrax six pack 2.8 ST. (Same tires I have for my slash just ST size)
Kv on that motor is too high for MT tires on the Rustler imho.
Yea. They discontinued the Max10 combos but they still sell the 3652 motors. The other option is the 3300kv option. The 3652 motors have the smaller shaft (3.175) and thats what I don't like. I would rather have the 3660 motor with the 5mm. Or can I put the 5mm shaft into the 3652 motor? I feel like I could snap the motor shaft any point. I heard that the 3.175 shaft is more likely to break if your using a 5mm bore pinion with a sleeve adapter.
Arrma BLX100 esc.
Arrma BLX100 3660 3200kv motor.
Hot Racing 86t steel spur.
Robinson Racing Absolute hardened 25T pinion.
Nice set up :):cool:

Might even get a steel spur myself. Less chances of stripping a plastic one.
I heard that the 3.175 shaft is more likely to break if your using a 5mm bore pinion with a sleeve adapter.
More on this. I am currently running a 23t 3.17 bore pinion so the shaft should be fine.

Yea thats what I'm planning on doing. Might even sell the MT tires I got and getting new ST tires. Been digging the Duratrax six pack 2.8 ST. (Same tires I have for my slash just ST size)

Yea. They discontinued the Max10 combos but they still sell the 3652 motors. The other option is the 3300kv option. The 3652 motors have the smaller shaft (3.175) and thats what I don't like. I would rather have the 3660 motor with the 5mm. Or can I put the 5mm shaft into the 3652 motor? I feel like I could snap the motor shaft any point. I heard that the 3.175 shaft is more likely to break if your using a 5mm bore pinion with a sleeve adapter.

Nice set up :):cool:

Might even get a steel spur myself. Less chances of stripping a plastic one.

More on this. I am currently running a 23t 3.17 bore pinion so the shaft should be fine.
I've never ran the adapters so I am not sure on that.

You can get a 3660 3300kv motor on eBay for like $40ish

True but the HW 3660 motor has 4mm bullets. The current motor and esc I have is 3.5mm bullets. Would have to make adapters or something.
They sell adapters or you can easily solder different ones on either the motor or the esc. The Max10 only comes with 3.5mm bullets? Idk why but I could have sworn it came with 4mm.

They sell adapters or you can easily solder different ones on either the motor or the esc. The Max10 only comes with 3.5mm bullets? Idk why but I could have sworn it came with 4mm.
Both. HobbyWing spec sheet lists two ESCs. The SCT version, EZRUN MAX10 SCT, 4.0mm bullets on the output end. The basic EZRUN MAX10 3.5mm bullets on the output end. 'AC'

Back