how long to glow plugs last

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blurman18

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
my glow plugs are not coming in for a week but my fuel is coming in this Friday and i don't know if i should start breaking in my nitro engine because i am afraid that the plug will go bad in the middle of the breaking in process
(5 tanks) and it will leave me stuck with out a glow plug and a half broken in nitro engine... which leads me to my second question will letting a half broken in engine sit for a while be bad for it? i am new to the nitro rc world and don't know a whole lot about this stuff so your answers are much appreciated

A glow plug should typically last long enough to do a break in. As for your second question. I honestly can't say that I know if it matters or not but I typically dont do my entire break in just one day. I dont believe it matter but someone may say I'm an idiot too....IDK...guess Ill find out when you do.

my plug lasted a few tanks past break in, just make sure you dont run it too lean and you should be right i guess...

I would say that most glowplugs should make a breakin but at the same time you should probably make sure you have spares just in case. If it sits for a couple days between tanks you should be fine.

the revo should of come with a spare one....

$5.00 a plug multiplied by the amount of revos sold since '04, I don't think Traxxas could stomach that kind of loss.

well mine came with one... and it was new wrapped and from the states.

For me typically a glow plug will last a good half gallon plus. Many times I can run the same plug many tanks past break in. I don't find mine going bad that often. Personally ....I would go for it as long as I had good outside air temps. I don't want to attempt a break in if it is below 50*F out. Hard to get the temps where they need to be to do it properly. That is just me though. If you get half way though break in and it craps out...make sure you put the pistion to the bottom put in a bit of after run oil and wait for the other plugs to get in. Does not hurt the engine if the break in is done in one day or over a year as long as the steps are followed correctly.

thank you everyone for your input this has really helped alot

3 gallon through my buggy, stock everything cept arms. glow plug working perfectly. havent replace one yet. I think if you use the right plug, it should last as long as the engine....... i think.

^If that's true then you better get a new one before the filament breaks off and scratches your piston and sleeve.....they're not made to last 3 gallons.

I have almost a half gallon through my t-max and I have never changed the glow plug. runs like a champ

Will typically treaty mine as expendable. About every 1/2 gallon I throw in a new 1 for safety reasons. Like 2 revo said I wouldn't want to mess up my engine by being cheap on a cheap part

^If that's true then you better get a new one before the filament breaks off and scratches your piston and sleeve.....they're not made to last 3 gallons.

you scared me haha. After hearing that, i went to the local hobby shop and got 2 more new plugs, threw the old one away even tho it still works. but ya, better safe than sorry :hehe:

oh ya, remember about my Traxxas revo? its done. never had a chance to run it yet tho. =P chrom like polished chassis. =P

I just run a glow plug till quits then I change it. I have had some last through 3 to 4 gallons as well. Never caused any harm to any of my engines.

Back