how long does the glo-plug last

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m0difi3dRs4eVo

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
how long does the glo-plug last and if theres any tutorial can you guys please send me a link....or if you know how, can you please tell me and my aim is m0difi3dglitchl2

thx thx...

-modifiedevo

Not set in stone. Some last one run, others will last a gallon or two. Even had one dead out of the box.

jetmechG550 said:
Not set in stone. Some last one run, others will last a gallon or two. Even had one dead out of the box.
well do u have a tutorial ona how to replace it or ne links if so thanxxs

depends also on your tuning.the way you have it tuned will affect how long it lasts

Do a search here, I am not SURE but pretty confident someone has posted something helpfull before now.

A glowplug is almost a hit and miss thing out of the box. Like Jet, I have had a few dead out of the package, and the one I got from Tower Hobbies has been on two diffrent engines for more than three months now. A good way to test em is to get out your Glow Plug Ignitor, take the plug out of the engine and apply the charger while looking at the plug. You should see a bright orange glow, all of the coils should be fully glowing- If not you are going to have issues with it soon if not allready.

When it comes to installing/removing the plug- It is as simple as getting the appropriate size wrench- there are several diffrent types of wrenches available from a variety of manufacturers specially for this application. Lock it onto the plug and turn counter-clockwise. Make sure that when you take it out you keep track of the brass ring that seals the compresion from escaping the threads. DO NOT apply any kind of thread lock or other liquids to the plug. Putting it on is the same, 'cept turn it clockwise.

Also, in hindsight- it is a good idea to put some after run oil after prologed runs.. Take the plug out and make sre the piston is at "BDC" - Bottom Dead Center. Look in the whole where the plug goes and turn the flywheel until you see the piston go ALL the way to the bottom. Mark the flywheel with a marker if you need to. Then put two or three drops of any kind of After Run Oil you choose. This will significantly lengthen your engine life- Just remeber to do it everytime you put it up after running it.

Have fun.

i have only bought 2 glow plugs in the last year of racing....one for one engine, and one for the other....i dont know, some guys are replacing them every week...me, i never seem to have to....lucky me! hahahaha

I might also add to Tweak's good post is that before removing a glow plug from an engine to spray some nitro blast or other cleaner into the head around the plug then blow dry before removing the plug. Prevents getting dirt in the piston bore...

Tweak pretty much nailed the basics in his post. The I've had plugs go bad literally out of the package, then again, I've also had plugs last years. I have one that is over 3 years old... I call it my "lucky plug". It still lights.... A mccoy 59.

I personally don't wait for a plug to go bad unless I'm just testing out suspension settings. Otherwise, I will use 2 plugs during the course of a race day. One for qualifiyers and one strictly for the main. The one I use in the main will remain in the engine for use during the next raceday. That one will be reused for ualifiyers.

IF I were back at the lot messing around, I would estimate 2 plugs a month, on average.

The plugs can last from a few minutes to a few hours to a few weekends. It all depends on the engine's tuning. Just remember that just because a coil lights up, doesn't necessarily mean that it is good.

If it's harder to start than usual, that's a good sign that it's on it's way out.

Once I had a plug last me three and a half months! lol... but I would usually drive my car every weekend once or twice only...

In the summers I drive my savage everyday for at least a half hour. Most of the time its more. I have never had dead plug in the rc. I've had a couple straight from the box, but never while bashing (Kinda weird yet lucky) but I'm also like Diver and dont wait for them to go bad. Ill usually change about every month or so. (I run odonell plugs)

So, Modified- Out of curiosity, did you get the EVo for your twelfth (sp?) birthday or have you had it for a while?

And again just for the sake of saying it- since you are so new to Nitro Models you might want to do quite a bit of fact finding before you just run outside and start this thing up. If someone else is helping you, make sure that you either inform them of proper operation standards or that they already know them. Not trying to step on your feet, I am sure youve allready had these things in mind. I just wanted to...reinforce the ides lol. Have fun and be really carefull with that 50 MPH rocket you got there.