How I belt my tires

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J’sCrawler

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Flying
So over on the Tekno forum there’s a guy by the name of @overkill, and he runs massive power through his et48, eb48, and really overpowers whatever he runs. He says he uses a vectran braid to belt his tires.

So I basically do the same thing, as this keeps your tires from ballooning. I wrap the tires 2 or three times and use some knots of my choice which is like a double square or was it a figure 8? Man idk but I’m getting older. Let’s load up some pics

Take your belt off of your pants. Put it on your tire. There you go. Belted tires. 🤣 🤣 Jk, jk
I really don't know. If I want belted I just get belted tires. ProLine has good belted tires. 😁🫠🙃

Duct tape on the inside

Also fishing line on the outside works the same

Take your belt off of your pants. Put it on your tire. There you go. Belted tires. 🤣 🤣 Jk, jk
I really don't know. If I want belted I just get belted tires. ProLine has good belted tires. 😁🫠🙃
😂 yes yes but the issue is the weight my dear boy!

I don’t remember but this guy had a reason against the tape as well which was most likely weight

For tonight’s ordeal, I will use this product right here……
image.jpg

On a 2.8 mt badlands, the OG tread style.
image.jpg

I wrap the tire 3 times and cut the line, 2 wraps may do idk. This stuff is much thinner than what I started using, @overkill runs the 3.8” MT’s so the thicker Kevlar braid I have is more suitable for that size of tread. Really, this has held up but by the time you get 2 or 3 wraps around, the braid/line is level with the tread blocks. This leads to the line getting chewed up over time because it’s being used as tire tread.

image.jpg

Last edited:
So right here at the first wrap of the line around the tire do a knot. I do a double or triple overhand knot.
You can use your fisherman knot, your double sheep shank, or your triple galactic Darth Vader knot for all I care it just needs to cinch down and not slip out. I use a drop of super glue right at the knot to ensure that is does not loosen up.
image.jpg

Every time I wrap the tire I do a knot.

I get my knot established making 3 loops around the lead leg or live end, with the dead end leg. Needle nose pliers help with this tiny string. Pass it under that first wrap you did. This is my second pass and knot, you can probably see my first knot right by my booger finger of my left hand, which is top right corner section of the picture. I pass the dead end through the 3 loops I make, which is called the overhand knot. I just looked it up, it’s an overhand knot. Just don’t pull too tight or the tire gets sucked in, it needs to be snug around the tire but not distorting the tire.
image.jpg

Oh! So if your tires come pre glued, do you really want to duct tape the inside??? You know what that takes right? This is one pro of this method!

Last edited:
first belt of the tire is done, I don’t have the super glue I use so the clear gorilla glue will step in for this round, we’ll see how it does. I always do the middle of the tire first, depending on the tire size, I will do 3 for this 2.8, I use 3 for the 2.2/3.0 sct tire, and 2 for the lcracing size 2.2 tire which is 1/10 buggy size.

image.jpg

I misspoke. This is quoted from him "I used 80lb and 500lb cored. I prefer the 500lb cored kevlar cord."

Here's link: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/tire-strapping.25237/post-346752
It might be the same shiznit

Don’t know, it doesn’t matter because I use a product from twin line USA. Most people have stated fishing line snaps anyway. This stuff has only snapped if it’s thicker than the tread blocks because it actually becomes the tire tread and gets worn down. Other than that my knots were not always great and the line jumped over a tread spacing. Like this picture…… rear passenger side tire. This Kevlar braid is too thick for this tread, 2 wraps might be ok but here I was using 3. I think the braid is just too thick altogether.
IMG_0104.jpeg

Anyway back to what I was doing which was fumbling with some tiny @$$ string

take the tire off and glue anchor's points to the inside of the tire then zip tie through the foam and connect it to the wheel.
it's a dumb idea i'll probably try it one day :hehe:

what about taking a pair of wheels and tires and gluing the surface width of the foam to the inner tire then glue the inner foam to the wheel surely that might decrease ballooning just a bit. obviously once that is done the tire can't be removed without making a mess of it.

foam contact glue shouldn't melt the foam but the inside of the tire would have to be scuffed for it to adhere it may not bond to the rubber as well.
also with the wheel being plastic it would have to be scuffed for it to adhere i'm only guessing it may not work or make any difference if it was done.

I always thought if I were ever to add belts to my tires I would run it around and poke a little hole through the tire and glue the thread to the inside and cover it with a strip of an innertube and rubber cement. Bit I don't overpower my RC's, so never needed to try it

as you know off road tires are designed to have flexibility and absorb for performance and handling i would rather drive it to the speed there rated at and have fun with the vehicle but if you want more speed without ballooning it's probably best to find a custom wheel/tire combo to suit.

These end up being squishy still, and conform to the terrain just fine, I'm just preventing ballooning. Nothing I have is overpowered but these OG badlands are super soft and ballon a bit more than the MX version, which I don’t prefer over the original version. I can sometimes see them balloon on 4s when mounted to the DB48. I have belted duratrax six packs and they are heavy and huge. I like the size of these original badlands for a 1/8 buggy, besides it’s the best performing tire I have for my terrain. It’s all personal preference and this is my preference to belt them like this. Nobody has to belt a tire but if someone did, here’s an idea.
I always thought if I were ever to add belts to my tires I would run it around and poke a little hole through the tire and glue the thread to the inside and cover it with a strip of an innertube and rubber cement. Bit I don't overpower my RC's, so never needed to try it
Nice idea.

Back