how hot is too hot....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pugs2300

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
so guys...i started with a xl5 pede and have bought the traxxas brushless system for it...i have a few questions i thought you guys could help me with...first off back when my rig was brushed it was really annoying to have it get stuck goin up hills and things...it would just spin 1 tire and often wouldn't make it up the small hill i was trying to jump....so after a few minutes of tinkering and a little jb weld i locked up the diff and that help as far as traction and making it up hills an things but it seemed to slow the truck down a little and made my motor get a little hotter than before....i ran it that way a bunch and it hasn't seemed to hurt anything but now that I'm installing the brushless I'm a little paranoid...i don't want to hurt my new motor...should i order a new diff and fix it back or will it be ok the way it is....also how hot can the motor run and not be too hot...would it help to gear the pinion down or something so it doesn't have to work as hard....really need some opinions here guys...ill be installing the motor today....i installed the esc and new steering servo yesterday and can't wait to play...thanks

I'm only new here but hear that 200 degrees F to 250 degrees F is the temperature that a motor will most usually run at its top performance.

200* F is the max recommended temp by Traxxas. Most places I've read recommend an 80% rule on this, so a max of 160* F to not only be safe, but also leave a bit of overhead for sudden unexpected loads placed on the motor. Buy a cheap IR temp gun, and set your gearing so your motor runs cool and it will give you grins for many years to come. My brushless pede is still my favorite goof off RC vehicle.

ok guys thank you very much for you replies...i just got through with my first run and i only reached like 110....granted i was taking it easy since its a new motor...is there a break in procedure with these motors?? i didn't know so i took it easy most of the run but there at the end i couldn't help myself and i nailed it and took a bad bounce breaking my top arm on the rear....a little glue should hold that for a day or two till i get a new one...also do you guys think there is any reason the locked up rear end would hurt anything....hope not...btw this thing rocks now...I'm just running the hump pack and its still retarded fast couldn't imagine it on the 3s lipo's thanks again for all your help guys

Yes there is a break-in period for these engines. Run hard too early and you can ruin or drastically shorten it's life. 110* is too cold even for breaking in a new engine. It needs to get up to 200+ to properly wear in the piston/sleeve.

If you bought it new, there should be instructions on break-in with the manuals. However there is a better and more efficient method called "heat cycling" and instructions can be found HERE.

200f is the absolute maximum you will ever want to get a brushless at. Above that the rotor can de-magnetize and the motor looses power.

Anything between 100 and 180f is safe.

lol...ahh...its all good but yea i would still like to know if there is any break in period for a brushless motor....don't matter much now i guess as i have already ran 4 or 5 packs through it...

No break in required, only needed for brushed motors.

Yeah there's just a break-in period for lipos, but no procedure. Plug 'em in and rip 'em up!

hahhaha opps my bad! maybe i should read more and not just skim it quickly ha

thanks again guys....

Back