How good do you have to be to race

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisprivate

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Just want everyone's opinions on how good you have to be to actually race these things mean I've never done it but I am thinking about it?

get track time is best advice.. you can be a total noob and its all about fun. they have races setup for rookies...just go do it

I would definitely be in contention for last place. It's all about the fun, go for it.

Just want everyone's opinions on how good you have to be to actually race these things mean I've never done it but I am thinking about it?
Look for a rookie class to get some experience. You dont have to be good just starting out, and noone expects you to be either. Everyone has to start somewhere. Another idea, although not as easy, see if anyone local has a backyard track, and see if they will let you join them when they run. A neighbor of mine set up a track in his yard just for new drivers to get used to it on, and he has open runs every saturday in the summer.

My grandson is 9 and he is mixing with the big boy's, obviously getting his butt handed to him, but the guys are all in to get him on board. If this race club is worth going to, the guys will be right there to help you get better. If they don't you are at the wrong place.

My grandson is 9 and he is mixing with the big boy's, obviously getting his butt handed to him, but the guys are all in to get him on board. If this race club is worth going to, the guys will be right there to help you get better. If they don't you are at the wrong place.
Thats how it should be, but, unfortunately anymore, its not always like that. Some veterans dont want newbies, kids, or rookies running against them, which is why we worked with a few of the places in upstate N.Y. to start a beginner/rookie/novice class. Before that, they just lumped everyone together based on vehicle class. I always get a bit of satisfaction from seeing the younger kids, especially the 8-12 year olds that spend a while in the rookie class, then a year or so later are out against the veterans, and its even better when they beat them, since some people can be a bit childish about it.

Thats how it should be, but, unfortunately anymore, its not always like that. Some veterans dont want newbies, kids, or rookies running against them, which is why we worked with a few of the places in upstate N.Y. to start a beginner/rookie/novice class. Before that, they just lumped everyone together based on vehicle class.
Well I am glad this bunch is overly welcoming. Heck they not only helped us fix and set up his car to race against themselves, they even offered him to drive theirs! It was a very cool experience. We'd have been there today but the owner had to cancel for some reason.

I forgot to even ask, what kind of racing are you thinking of doing? Outdoors? Carpet? Clay? Drift? Road course? some of them, not everyone does and that makes it harder to find guys to race against.

My answer is still the same - if the group isn't right there to help you be better, you are in the wrong place. I am involved in a lot of shooting activities of different disciplines; but, every one of them will give you ammo or loan you their gun, whatever it takes to get you through the match. That is how RC'n should be. Ball Sports...ehhh, not so much, they can be self-centered, inconsiderate, crybabies.

no reflection on your question/comment biggman....just an after thought

Back