How do I take the hex brake hub off of HPI Savage

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hairy W Bush

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I've already removed the dogbone and side screw and the thing won't budge. The piece in the center doesn't appear to be a screw. Assembly diagram doesn't even show anything about whatever that is. I'm afraid to try and pry on it any more.

Are they aluminum? Sometimes the aluminum gets corroded to the steel axle and pin that the hub is registered on.

i think it's steel...I can't find my magnet. so this is just supposed to pry off?

i think it's steel...I can't find my magnet. so this is just supposed to pry off?
No, it's supposed to just slide off. There isn't a set screw anywhere on it? Pics would help here to make sure.

I removed the one on the side already. the piece in the center doesn't appear to have any drive shape and my wrenches won't do anything

Attachments

• 20220402_152836[1].jpg
    20220402_152836[1].jpg
    232 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220402_152900[1].jpg
    20220402_152900[1].jpg
    356 KB · Views: 33
Oh, no those aren't wheel hexes. Those are drive cups. Those are held in by a pin inside the diff housing.

Or wait. I see a set screw hole. Some RC's have cups that lock onto the drive with a set screw. Did you remove a set screw?

Last edited:
Was it just the set screw or the entire set screw pin? HPI uses a set screw/pin thing and sometimes the pin breaks off, so when you "remove" it, the piece you take out looks like a set screw. That means the pin is still stuck in there (or it fell out the hole when running).

Part 86094 is the screw/pin thing:
2022-0405-savageX-diffCupPin-86094.jpg

Once that pin is out in it's entirety, the hub should pull off the shaft (86081 is the shaft shown above). It may be seized to the shaft, both are steel and could have rusted. So grabbing the front hub (86082) with pliars, then rocking/twisting the rear hub (86322) should break it free.

I had him on the phone earlier. He got it off there. He said it looked like it had been glued on. Maybe with green loctite based on the description of it.

Back