How cold is too cold...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrxXJ00

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Just curious...

The jerk at the local hobby shop ( long story) told me NOT to run my nitros in cold weather and that it will ruin the motors. This is the first I've heard of this. I know to wrap the heads and I always make sure temps are good. So how cold is too cold? Is the cold weather really ruining my engines? What do you guys think? I've searched the internet and haven't found many ppl suggesting not use your nitro in the winter months in fact there a tons and tons of YouTube vids of nitros in the snow ( that I won't do)...

Discuss

For example here in south jersey it is 34deg. Too cold?

Well I'm in Western Washington and I've been running mine in the 35-45 degree weather since I got it a month ago. I wouldn't necessarily try to start it if left in that temperature, I just keep it inside and keep my hand around the head while starting to avoid it cooling down to ambient before it fires. Lately I've been heating it up with a hair dryer. By the time I get it outside it's dropped back down to 100 degrees but wow did it start easier last time :) Car engines run all day long in much cooler temperatures. They have a method of keeping the running temperature constant with a thermostat. Nitro's do not, so you have to keep an eye on temps. Other than that and the cylinder pinch vs cars with compression rings on the cylinders, there is no real difference. Keep running it, just make sure as long as it's running it spends as little time below 200 degrees as you can manage.

ma3ybyqu.jpg

Both of my toys were down and now they're both fixed and I really want to run them. He just made me nervous at the hobby shop. Thanks for the reply I guess there wasn't much truth behind it besides hard starts and keeping engine temps up which i always carry my temp gun around when running the cars

Like I said I would avoid starting it when the block itself is that cold. Hit it with a hair dryer for 5 minutes, go outside, and start immediately. Keeps wear down a bit, and they usually fire up a lot faster. Other than that, enjoy the damn thing. Repinching sleeves is cheap, rebuilding the motor isn't terribly more expensive. I'd rather enjoy my toys than juice an extra gallon of run time out of them. Nice looking rigs you got there btw

I preheat mine to 190. 159 at the least, I've ran all winter long. In temps as low as negative 10. I check temps very frequently, until I'm sure tune is good then play while still checking temps.
You take proper precautions and maintenance and you will be fine.

Just remember that cold ambient temps (40° F or below) tends to make both plastic and metal more brittle.

Just remember that cold ambient temps (40° F or below) tends to make both plastic and metal more brittle.

And this I have learned the hard way, I ripped a brand new a arm off in 2° weather after 18 hours of building it!! And I've broke 2 wings a sept of wing mounts and a rim.

i live in MN so i have to run in the winter months if i want to have any fun, 1. wrap your head with a sock or foil, pre heat your head before your start your rig, have fun ! i don't normally run my rigs when it gets below zero, and truth be told, i dont run them much when the temps are below 20. i have run both my maxx's in the cold for a number of years and have had no problem with my motors !!!

Thanks for the info everyone. I have no clue why this guy told me not to even run a nitro till summer that just made no sense to me. Even after stating I was running mine inside the shop at work ( huge well ventilated and always around 70 deg) he said even that wasn't good enough.

Where can you run these things on the face of the sun? Lol

Everyone has their own opinion, I will not run my expensive engines below 50 degrees F.

I was out the other day, my hands where numb so i said i have to go in. I try to find a temp that i can handle . If it is to cold for me it is to cold for the rc. I like 45 deg to be my low , at 45 deg i can wear a coat and if need be a hat. I like to warm up the motor before i go out. There is a few ways people do it, you can even use a sock.

When the steam from the coffee freezes it is to col. Other than that, take percations and wrap the head, you will be fine. Shaun

But everyone agrees that if the proper precautions are taken ie wrap the head watch temps pre heat the engine then no damage will be done and it's ok to run in the winter right?

I'm on the side that thinks the engine life will be shortened, by running it in the winter, but its your engine. By how much depends on how hard you push the engine.
I run my axial engines in the winter, it wouldn't bother me if one crapped out ebay has parts for miles, that being said i wouldn't run my picco/boosts any time soon. Everyone upgrades there engine at one point or another, especially if your still running the stock power plant.

I'm on the side that thinks the engine life will be shortened, by running it in the winter, but its your engine. By how much depends on how hard you push the engine.
I run my axial engines in the winter, it wouldn't bother me if one crapped out ebay has parts for miles, that being said i wouldn't run my picco/boosts any time soon. Everyone upgrades there engine at one point or another, especially if your still running the stock power plant.

Why do you think that? Just curious

Why I upgraded engines:
1. Reliability of a quality engine
2. More power
3. Quality engine components

Winter running can cause the engine tolerances between the cylinder and sleeve to be too tight, which puts strain on connecting rods, not to mention bushing, bearings, and the pin that the connecting rod attaches to.

Why I upgraded engines:
1. Reliability of a quality engine
2. More power
3. Quality engine components

Winter running can cause the engine tolerances between the cylinder and sleeve to be too tight, which puts strain on connecting rods, not to mention bushing, bearings, and the pin that the connecting rod attaches to.

How does this even apply if you take proper precautions such as preheating and wrapping the head?
I preheat my engine ALTEAST to 190
I don't wrap it because it has no issues going over 300°
So if the engine is at running temps the whole time its being run then how can what you said take effect.
I can see bearings taking a little hit because those aren't really preheated. But its not like there stored outside, so by the time everything's moving they can't be THAT cold.

I might be a noob.. But I don't and won't believe that it can effect the engine if you take proper precautions.
Now I'm not saying I'm going to run an expensive mill in the winter. I'd rather buy a cheap " winter beater" then take chances with water in the engine(I have done so a few times this winter. Didn't like it at all)
Am I'm not saying by any means a newly found rc owner should go ahead and run one in cold weather.

---------- Post added at 6:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:40 PM ----------

And I'm the type that upgrades when needed. If it runs, run it till it doesn't.. Rebuild or upgrade.

Back