how can i water proof my rc servos ??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetlou069

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
i have a question i was playing in the snow with my car n my steering Wheel started goign awire litterly went every directions none stop. so i stoped the car and ill let it dry n test it again... but my question is how can i water proof the servos and the reciever ??? i saw ppl on YouTube doing it with ziplock bags, isnt there a better way ???? I'm thinking with a ziplock bag when its really cold out side the ziplock bag will jsut crack up so is there a better way to waterproof them ?? thank you

The best way to waterproof your servos is to keep them away from water.
rimshot.gif
<rimshot> Thank you. I'll be here all week.

Seriously though, if you plan to run your truck in the snow on a regular basis, look into some waterproof servos such as the Hitec HS5646WP or Traxxas 2075 for example. You could also Plasti-Dip your current servos, theres plenty of youtube videos on how to do this.
As for receivers, the balloon trick works quite well IMO. You'll find how to videos on this too

I am a big fan of the balloon trick. ..also I agree with everything trout said .....there's a thread here in the how to section explaining the balloon trick

Waterproofing servos:

as for the receiver I usually spray some corrosionX inside of it and shake it around. however I've recently been advised that THIS stuff may work better than corrosionX soIm gonna get some of it and try it next time.

The best way to waterproof your servos is to keep them away from water.
rimshot.gif
<rimshot> Thank you. I'll be here all week.

Seriously though, if you plan to run your truck in the snow on a regular basis, look into some waterproof servos such as the Hitec HS5646WP or Traxxas 2075 for example. You could also Plasti-Dip your current servos, theres plenty of youtube videos on how to do this.
As for receivers, the balloon trick works quite well IMO. You'll find how to videos on this too
I no I shouldn't play in water but snow is fun :p and if a good waterproof servo wasn't 60-80$ I would get 2 but I ATM I can't so I'll try that plasti dip thing u said .. My local store hase it thx

Thanx for the link greywolf

My advice would be to purchase some high quality waterproof servos from Savox or Hi-Tec, otherwise, cover it in some kind of spray rubber, and place lots of grease around the gear at the top.

silicone conformal coating, i do my esc,rx and my servos in the stuff and have never had a failure, my scale and trail trucks get submerged alot!

Save your money and get waterproof servos. I've fried many trying the balloon/o-ring and plastidip/o-ring. For me, it was almost always the throttle servo... you know, would take off wide open, then smash into something and that $50 servo you should have bought, just cost you $100+ in parts.

I wish more companies would make more waterproofed servos in varying speeds and torque ratings. most companies only have one waterproofed offering and its generally a smaller servo. Although I think more are starting to come out. I know in the last year Savox went from only have 2 models to having 4. I hope this trend continues to grow to the point where they just make em all waterproofed. Unless you live in the desert just about all your kits can see a little water from time to time. :)

That's not the conformal coating you want, you want the stuff in the link listed below. All the rigs I've done have never had one moisture related failure, including the Wraith being crammed full of snow, and submerged in creeks.

The 422b designates brush on applicator, for much less waste and precise application.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=136E3S4A8VE0CGHTM5E4

That being said, waterproofing is a lot of work, and a lot of risk. If you aren't prepared to throw all your electronics in the garbage can and go buy new ones, I suggest you simply buy something water resistant (none of the manufacturers now claim their goods are truly waterproof) to start with. If you check my Wraith build thread, I show a lot of the pieces (RX, ESC, servos, etc) being done. You have to crack the cases on everything and coat the PCBs themselves. If you're doing servos, make darn sure you don't get the potentiometer out of whack, they're a pain to get set right again.

ahhhhh gotchya...i havent worked with the stuff myself yet but the next time I want to waterproof something I will be giving it a try :)

I've had nothing but success with it Greywolf. When I first bought it, for a test, I coated a cheap servo PCB, and reassembled it without the case o ring so I knew it would fill with water, and left it in a glass of water for a month, and it still worked flawlessly at the end. It was actually recommended to me by a motor / ESC manufacturer. It's the same stuff you'll find on their boards. The stuff on my MM2 in the Revo looks the same to me also when I tore into it last night.

i wish i didnt already have corrosionx and neverwet on half my stuff. Id use this stuff for sure :)

I've had nothing but success with it Greywolf. When I first bought it, for a test, I coated a cheap servo PCB, and reassembled it without the case o ring so I knew it would fill with water, and left it in a glass of water for a month, and it still worked flawlessly at the end. It was actually recommended to me by a motor / ESC manufacturer. It's the same stuff you'll find on their boards. The stuff on my MM2 in the Revo looks the same to me also when I tore into it last night.

REVO??? you get another GOFAST???

Back