Hoss VXL 4x4 Brushless

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question again.. So I have taken my Hoss apart far to many times already. I am noticing that I do not seem to have that original torque feeling anymore. What I mean by that is I remember out of the box using 3S lipo the truck basically wanted to do wheelies every frigging time you gave er gas. I do not seem to have that same start up torque anymore.. Would this have anything to do with my shocks and making them harder as in I added 50WT oil instead of the default 30 that comes in the shocks and I did add the largest spacers to my shock on the rear.. would removing the larger spaces and putting slimmer ones in help with that initial take off and get er up on 2 wheels again? or is it something else possibly?
Are you still running the springs that came with the shocks? If you are, those being softer springs might be doing more absorbing of the torque. That's actually an improvement for handling, but obviously for stunts it's a negative. If you're not looking to swap springs for stiffer, I'd go with a heavier weight fluid in the back, 80wt or more. This should help slow down rebound enough to get the car to wheelie.

Also for clarification, the Hoss doesn't have a slipper. It runs a center differential. Have you done any fluid swaps for the center diff?

Are you still running the springs that came with the shocks? If you are, those being softer springs might be doing more absorbing of the torque. That's actually an improvement for handling, but obviously for stunts it's a negative. If you're not looking to swap springs for stiffer, I'd go with a heavier weight fluid in the back, 80wt or more. This should help slow down rebound enough to get the car to wheelie.

Also for clarification, the Hoss doesn't have a slipper. It runs a center differential. Have you done any fluid swaps for the center diff?
Hey man... sorry its been a zoo for me with work.. So thanks for the advice man.. I have not screwed with any gears or diffs yet... Not that brave yet, but will eventually. As for the springs.. well I am on my 2nd set. Actual traxxas big bore shocks, default spring that came with.. I currently have 50wt in both the front and back shocks. Highest I have on me right now is 70wt, I do have 30wt as well.. what if I went lighter in the front and heaviest I have for the back shocks... Also I need to reset my ESC.. I did something the other day and man as soon as I add the battery to it, that frigger starts running automatically now, man I use the remote and the trigger is the steering now and the wheel knob is throttle. well that messed my brain up for a bit.. I was screwing around with my BT app and reset something good this time I think.. It all started cause I wanted to add a temp and voltage sensor.. I will figure it out just no time.. I am waiting for my Traxxas crawler Ford Ranger high terrain to come in this week now so i figure that is gonna take my time up for a bit. :)
When you put the Hoss on its lid do the wheels still rotate with ease? Sounds like something is binding. With tires on the ground mash the front and rear end. Does it bounce back? Is the steering working properly? Could it be in the 50% training mode? Check the TSM, Especially the throttle part. Hope this helps.
I decided to get paddle tires and a Dusty cover for my Sledge. Going winter driving this year. Will post pics when it's all set up. 🏁
Hey turbo.. thanks for the info. honestly there is nothing wrong with the torque or throttle. First thing I checked was the training mode feature.. I use it on occasion yet. :) but I am getting more brave now. I do not notice anything at all when it comes to the steering or throttle when the vehicle is upside down.. I created a new issue the other day when I went to add the temp and voltage sensor though.. man when I add power to the HOSS now she starts running full out on its own.. I reset something on the BT app and added some spice to me life.. Now the remote is running in FRENCH mode.. the wheel knob is actually the throttle and the trigger does the steering.. rofl.. I need to bind and set my neutrals I think, let you know how that goes some day. ;)

Last edited:
Ok so I think I have moved on from the intro forum and thought I would start a thread on my Hoss. Just things I have done already and with advice from the helpful community already I am gonna take another swipe at things.. Damn this hobby gets expensive.. Think I have spent more in parts already than what the truck cost me brand new in colourful Canadian money. ;)

Anyways I am going to remove the aluminum suspension arms and go back to a composite heavy duty type, I do plan on running this truck in the winter here and plan on burying it in snow at some point soon.. Well ya know when the weather cooperates. a few months yet. I am going to leave the aluminum shock tower alone though, I don't really bash and do ramp stuff, so I think the towers won't cause me too much extra stress on the vehicle.

I am going with mostly orange colour themed under the body, green cambers and toelinks. grabbed some orange rubber wheelie wheels. Orange drag link and orange hex nuts for the wheels..

Here are some pix of the current state of the truck and I will update once the changes are done.. I couldn't justify a 3rd set of shocks this time around. Gonna stick with the big bore ones for now.

View attachment 171884

View attachment 171885

View attachment 171886

View attachment 171887

View attachment 171888

View attachment 171889

View attachment 171890

View attachment 171891

View attachment 171892
For AArms I highly recommend RPM. They seem to be held in high regard. I use them with my Hoss. For running in snow, I would get some paddle tires. Maybe a Dusty cover to keep the snow away from your electronics. Cover the vent holes on your rims with electrical tape. 2 per rim. If you run it in the snow, when done, blow dry it like a bastad*
20231008_070849_resized.jpg
20231012_142033(0)_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Hey man... sorry its been a zoo for me with work.. So thanks for the advice man.. I have not screwed with any gears or diffs yet... Not that brave yet, but will eventually. As for the springs.. well I am on my 2nd set. Actual traxxas big bore shocks, default spring that came with.. I currently have 50wt in both the front and back shocks. Highest I have on me right now is 70wt, I do have 30wt as well.. what if I went lighter in the front and heaviest I have for the back shocks... Also I need to reset my ESC.. I did something the other day and man as soon as I add the battery to it, that frigger starts running automatically now, man I use the remote and the trigger is the steering now and the wheel knob is throttle. well that messed my brain up for a bit.. I was screwing around with my BT app and reset something good this time I think.. It all started cause I wanted to add a temp and voltage sensor.. I will figure it out just no time.. I am waiting for my Traxxas crawler Ford Ranger high terrain to come in this week now so i figure that is gonna take my time up for a bit. :)

Hey turbo.. thanks for the info. honestly there is nothing wrong with the torque or throttle. First thing I checked was the training mode feature.. I use it on occasion yet. :) but I am getting more brave now. I do not notice anything at all when it comes to the steering or throttle when the vehicle is upside down.. I created a new issue the other day when I went to add the temp and voltage sensor though.. man when I add power to the HOSS now she starts running full out on its own.. I reset something on the BT app and added some spice to me life.. Now the remote is running in FRENCH mode.. the wheel knob is actually the throttle and the trigger does the steering.. rofl.. I need to bind and set my neutrals I think, let you know how that goes some day. ;)
When you were installing the temp/voltage sensor did you happen to possibly remove the ESC or steering servo wires from the reciever? Sounds like you might have them switched around. I don't think you could've done that in the Link app.

Before swapping fluids, I'd get stiffer springs.

Screenshot_20231010_092934_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Last edited:
For AArms I highly recommend RPM. They seem to be held in high regard. I use them with my Hoss. For running in snow, I would get some paddle tires. Maybe a Dusty cover to keep the snow away from your electronics. Cover the vent holes on your rims with electrical tape. 2 per rim. If you run it in the snow, when done, blow dry it like a bastad*View attachment 172892
Dood, that truck looks bleeping awesome.. holy crap.. love the colour scheme and the tires.. wow.. frig i can't stop staring at it..
When you were installing the temp/voltage sensor did you happen to possibly remove the ESC or steering servo wires from the reciever? Sounds like you might have them switched around. I don't think you could've done that in the Link app.

Before swapping fluids, I'd get stiffer springs.

View attachment 172898
I for sure removed wires all wires except the antenna wire from the receiver.. But I thought when I was going through the manual it was showing the esc and servo both attach on that ch1, I will do what you have pointed out and see if I have better luck.. thanks to be fair I was working on my table and when I did the reset in the app, bloody truck went full tilt of the table and took a ton of crap out in the process.. I need to use a stand the next time I tinker with the hoss.. Man those tires kinda hurt almost, was like getting a rug burn.. lol..

Traxxas receivers have two Channel 1 plugs because some of their models came with dual steering servos (E-Maxx, Summit). But the ESC definitely needs to be on channel 2, regardless of brand.

My memory mnemonic is: (S)teering comes before (T)hrottle and 1 comes before 2... so S goes to 1 and T goes to 2

Great looking truck though!!

thanks for the tips everyone.. that was exactly my issue.. Using the pic provided and 9x19 memory rule.. all is well again and my truck does not want to take off without my assistance.. thanks again, much appreciated. :)