Hopped up, yet loose as a goose

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jorrob29

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Before you post hateful, biased stuff...I'm simply looking for advice. I put a hop up kit on my RCR lightning epx pro, and now EVERY SINGLE JOINT in the new aluminum parts are sloppy! I have heard of shims for wheel wobble. .. but alll of it has significantly more play now.. any ideas? I'm brand new to the hobby so go easy on me.
I did notice two TINY orings on my workbench after having removed the lower a arms up front. And COULD NOT figure out where they went. Helllp!

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't say what brand your hop ups are what parts you replaced or any other info so add some more info before you start telling us how to respond

The car: lightning epx pro by redcat racing.
The parts:redcat hop up kit MADE FOR the lightning epx cars, BY redcat. Has front lower and upper arms, front hub carriers & steering knuckles, rear lower and upper arms, rear hub carriers, aluminum body posts, i think thats all. Its this kit, but blue.

Another question, it came with the four turnbuckles u see in package, i mad the assumption all turnbuckles are the same, so used them as rear and front upper arms, should i have left the rears plastic, and put the turnbuckles on the front as tie-rods instead?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200605-125519.png
    Screenshot_20200605-125519.png
    778.1 KB · Views: 80
Are they loose now after some time or are they loose immediately after install? If it's just after install, could just be due to lack of precision in the parts themselves.

If it's after some time of using them, aluminum isn't self lubricating like nylon/plastic, so it wears relatively quickly and generates slop anywhere there is movement. The best you can do in that case is to use some dry lube like graphite or wax based to minimize the wear, but over time, they will wear and generate slop regardless.

I've run into that on my stampede with the steering components. Would be nice if they would use bearings in the areas like the ackerman bar and king pins, but they don't. Not sure what could be done about hinge pins other than making really bulky parts and putting bearings in them.

sorry I was a little hard on new 1 .. some parts upgrades fit like a glove others just dont..not sure how to fix this ...good luck

Last edited:
as for me I've never had any issue with trx parts as olds pede.. I have several aluminum steering racks in my traxxas and none have been sloppy bearing in all..

That's surprising... didn't take long for my nice new trx steering to get sloppy on me. Alloy c-hubs, axle cariers, went with hot racing servo saver/ackerman bar. Ran it for a few months, and slop all over again. Guess you get used to it to a point. I did find some GPM c-hubs that use bearings for the king pins. Trying those out now.

However aluminum parts look nice and make for a great shelf queen, the a-arms dont last very long. The aluminum bends when i tree is the chosen path, plastic flex and have a chance to meet again..... ;)

so you think you have a top quality car with redcat (racing since when) never seen redcat win any podium but the low budget buyer..my guess the Oring go behind outside bearing in front caster.between outside and inside bearing.....this is called living and learning or buying and finding out it was a waste...as for me I've never had any issue with trx parts as olds pede.. I have several aluminum steering racks in my traxxas and none have been sloppy bearing in all..
kind went in aggressive man, dont see where he said it was a top quality car, he said he was new, which redcat/exceed/HSP is directed towards. they do make decent light bashers on a budget. when i started bashing harder with my truck, it did start falling apart, but they were all crashed/jumps that warranted a break, until in the end enough needed replaced that it would have been more cost effective to buy another.
the exceed parts that i had upgraded on my old Exceed Infinitive brushless (hub carriers) i did notice had some play compared to stock (plastic. i think its a mix of their quality control/allowable tolerances, and not making them such a tight fit that it doesn't bind.
the only good thing i will ever say about them, but integy actually did alright by me on the aluminum A-arms for the rustlers as they included a delrin insert that fits tight around the pin and into the arm. (have not and dont plan to put the durability to a test with those arms as it remains as a light basher, i also will not, and never will recommend aluminum A-arms, especially integy.) they will remain on that truck though for nostalgia's sake.

kind went in aggressive man, dont see where he said it was a top quality car, he said he was new, which redcat/exceed/HSP is directed towards. they do make decent light bashers on a budget. when i started bashing harder with my truck, it did start falling apart, but they were all crashed/jumps that warranted a break, until in the end enough needed replaced that it would have been more cost effective to buy another.
the exceed parts that i had upgraded on my old Exceed Infinitive brushless (hub carriers) i did notice had some play compared to stock (plastic. i think its a mix of their quality control/allowable tolerances, and not making them such a tight fit that it doesn't bind.
the only good thing i will ever say about them, but integy actually did alright by me on the aluminum A-arms for the rustlers as they included a delrin insert that fits tight around the pin and into the arm. (have not and dont plan to put the durability to a test with those arms as it remains as a light basher, i also will not, and never will recommend aluminum A-arms, especially integy.) they will remain on that truck though for nostalgia's sake.
Doesn't cost a penny to be nice.

With that being said, CA glue and Electrical Tape will get you through lol.

I never, NEVER-ONCE said i think my poop is top quality. Nor did i assume/say its a "race rig"... Nor have i said anything other than (basically, JUST for you) live....and....let....fiddlesticking.... LIVE! I didnt want this thread to turn into redcat bashing #436.2! I simply want advice from all you seasoned "pro"s. Id hope you could look past the fact that I'm 29, have a 10 yr old daughter, and a beautiful step-mom/ wife whos 24, and a beautiful home in NC, so "who could possibly Fathom a guy JUST getting into RC, buying one of (FEW) brushless RC cars out there" that fall under 500 fiddlesticking dollars! In the future I'm SURE I WILL BUY AN ARRMA, OR TRAXXAS, OR whatever big name makes you fellas NUT. But for now, I'm EXTREMELY pleased with my RedCat product and will under NO circumstances, "throw it away". Its a blast! And so far, its as tough as i need it. (Though i just got my first 3s lipo in the mail today) we'll see whats good once its charged ?. I digress....

I only started my thread this way to avoid argument and B.s. that it ANYTHING BUT what i came here for. Thank u!

I have a Redcat Tornado S30, a Everest 10, and a Gen 7. Very cool cars with a ton of upgrade parts. Stay with it and mod the crap out of it but as I mentioned the a-arms wont last if you bash it hard. Show us pics of your progress....

side note, for the future, may also look into the redcat Kaiju, looks like a pretty badass rig, i had been checking out some reviews on it, 6s looks to be too much for the platform but 4s looks about perfect!

I have a Redcat Tornado S30, a Everest 10, and a Gen 7. Very cool cars with a ton of upgrade parts. Stay with it and mod the crap out of it but as I mentioned the a-arms wont last if you bash it hard. Show us pics of your progress....
+1 to this! definitely want to see some pics of the finished product :)

sorry peeps had a bad day took a 35mile drive to my old cities and seen many business closed and burnt up .. just was a bummer sorry op dint mean to take it out on your problems.. stuff happens in rc and sometimes we just can't correct it..so it costs us more hard earned cash to fix