HOLY cow that was close....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

White_Snake

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well after a week or so of down time, i finally got some fuel for the XL.
Did a good one over on it, Clean the air filter and suck. get her ready to go for a rip. (So i thought)

Take her out side fire it up, runs for 1/2 second. Go to pull on it and it is TIGHT,
Pull the plug. Still locked up. *thinking its the pull start*. So pull the motor out and take the pull starter off, and the engine is still LOCKED! OMG what did i do!!!!

So i take the back plate off, and what not out so i can see the crank. Finally get it to spin a little, but it only wants to move about 1/4 turn either way.
WTF....

Take a close look, and guess what i see. TWO little WASHERS!!!! binding on the counter weight on the crank.
So i fish them out, and it now spins 95%. So i crank her over a few times and it is now spinning good.
Put it all back together and the 5.9 fired right up!

Should i expect it to blow rather quickly now, or did i get lucky?....:p:

Well, I would tear the engine completely down and see what damage may have been caused. You probably should have done that before firing it up again as now may be too late.

Depending on where the washer went, you may be ok. Since you didn't find them on the top of the piston... that said, I'd still tear it down and make sure the piston skirt isn't damaged.

I think they were washers from the end of the air filter assembly.

Now my question is this, for those that say a tear down is a must.
If i continue to run it the way it is, and fix it when it breaks, compared to fixing what might be broke now?

See what I'm getting at?
Not trying to be a peepee, just asking questions.

Last edited:
Well, what's done is done I suppose. If it runs the same, your probably fine. Just my thoughts, though. Let olds and Scrogg chime in. There might be an up side to checking for a scarred sleeve and fixing it now.

I think they were washers from the end of the air filter assembly.

Now my question is this, for those that say a tear down is a must.
If i continue to run it the way it is, and fix it when it breaks, compared to fixing what might be broke now?

See what I'm getting at?
Not trying to be a peepee, just asking questions.

It is a valid question. I just normally err on the side of caution and if nothing else, look for the problems that may come. If the washer cracked your piston skirt and it's about to break off a piece, it would be better for you to break the piece off by hand as opposed to it breaking while the engine is running and send yet another hunk of shrapnel through it causing further damage.

Last edited:
Too late now.... if it runs fine. don't sweat it. If you're sure nothing else is in there it will be Ok. I've seen engines run with gouges in the piston, you'd never know unless you looked in it. How in the hell did you get washers in the engine all the way to the crank and rod??? Are you sure it was not the wrist pin clips? Hope not. The 5.9 is a throw away mill IMO anyways... run it till it pukes...:hehe:

Too late now.... if it runs fine. don't sweat it. If you're sure nothing else is in there it will be Ok. I've seen engines run with gouges in the piston, you'd never know unless you looked in it. How in the hell did you get washers in the engine all the way to the crank and rod??? Are you sure it was not the wrist pin clips? Hope not. The 5.9 is a throw away mill IMO anyways... run it till it pukes...:hehe:

I have been reading alot about this Picco Motor out there, so maybe this one will crap out sooner rather than later. LOL

How ever when i ran it after reading these post, it seem to flood real easy teh first time trying to start it today.
Then when i was running it, i accidentally dumped a bunch of snow on the cooling head, and it died. Killed the Glow plug. Is this normal?

P.S THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO EVERYONE!!!!!

You could run it without the airfilter and then piss on it, if you wanna kill it like :) Hell do it right! Remove the airfilter, give it WOT and sprinkle gravel dust over it.

You'll get that new Picco a lot sooner :)

I have been reading alot about this Picco Motor out there, so maybe this one will crap out sooner rather than later. LOL

Not likely. If you couldn't afford a new engine and the only source of sanity you had was running this truck, then it would have exploded already.

Since you seem willing to drop $200 on a new engine and your ready to do it, this one will never die!

Depending on where your located (hot/warm/cold), if it's cold there, then run this thing as your winter engine and buy a new one for warmer weather running in the spring. By then, there might be 4 more new engines available that are better than what your looking at.

I fully agree with Olds, you should always have a junker to run in the winter as the environment is very harsh on these two strokes. Keep or get a "good" engine for the warmer months.

Yeah the damage was most likely done the instant it stopped turning. Run it and run it hard. I know you're not trying to be a peepee. The first time I noticed my crank bearings were shot on a 2 gallon 3.3, The con rod was rubbing the bottom of the case. I had 3 or 4 nice gouges in the piston, but when I replaced the crank bearings it made it another 4 gallons before it stopped idling nicely at 250 degrees. You have an excuse now to make that xl really scream.